Union Mills

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jammie667
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Union Mills

Post by Jammie667 »

does anyone have any contact details for union mills, or a catlogue of what they do? any information would be great, thanks.
James :)

God Save The Steam!
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Union Mills

Post by jdtoronto »

Jammie667 wrote:does anyone have any contact details for union mills, or a catlogue of what they do? any information would be great, thanks.
Well, as it happens I just got off the phone with Colin Heard of Union Mills. Union Mills Models, 5 Union Mills Trading Estate, Isle of Man IM4 4AB phone 01624 852896. You can email him at colin.h@manx.net but he is not too fast at responding to emails!

He does mainly LNER and LMS steam, currently he has a new run of LNER J39's due at the end of the month, he also has LNER J11's in LNER or BR black, J38's in LNER or BR black and J39's in LNER green or black. He is also re-releasing his LMS 3F in BR or LMS black and he possibly as has J25's and J26's. The LMS G2 will also be re-released this year. He has decided to also re-tool his LNER D20 but doesn't know when it will be produced.

Colin's loco's all use his own design tender drive and if the used D20 I have is any indication, they pull like demons! This one will easily pul 10 Minitrix Teaks up 2% without any apparent effort at all.

His new loco for the year is a Fowler 7F 0-8-0.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

viewtopic.php?t=48

has contact details - and news of the recent J11 and J38 releases.

Union Mills is operated by one man, Colin Heard. Locomotives are built in relatively small batches, so they remain in stock for short periods of time.
I think I heard that his latest batches from the last month or so, are ex-LMS types. Further ex-LNER re-releases are expected this year - I've put my name down for a Q2 and a B12, but Mr. Heard has not said which LNER types he'll be producing this year.

Designs are chosen to be relatively simple - eg. no outside cylinders, simple liveries,etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

I didn't get around to asking about the ones you want Richard, I was just too pleased to hear that the J39's in early BR black are very close - so I pledged the plastic as it were for two of them. I have found that by far the easiest way to deal with Colin is by phone. Mail is too slow and he is worse at answering emails than I am!

john
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes I only emailed him once, and never received a reply (to be fair it was a "put me down for a ..." and didn't necessarily require one).

I've ordered my two engines by post - and he replies/ships very quickly.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia