D & S Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

D & S Models

Post by CVR1865 »

Excellent resource for pre grouping LNER constituant companies, address is for mail order only D & S models 46 The Street, Wallington, nr Baldock, Hertfordshire, SG7 6SW. catalogue is 80p.

sadly as of late 2005 production of 4mm is suspended. 7mm GNR kits should be available again soon with a decision regarding the rest of the range to be made this year. they really are an excellent resource for pre LNER coaches, wagons, brake vans and even perculiar things such as the GER tramway coaches.

i will post anynews as i hear it.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the info Simon.

You can post announcements of new LNER&constituent releases to the News section - you'll see I've posted things like Union Mills releases and Dapol announcements in the past.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

D&S Models

Post by rob »

I was talking to Danny Pinnock about two weeks ago-he has been unwell but is hoping to get back to work soon.He has done some limited 4mm stuff and I bought quite a lot from him last year-superb range,a pleasure to build and when will you get 12 wheel restaurant cars in rtr!Danny did indicate he wants to complete his 4mm range with some ECJS coaching stock-I very much hope so!
I have just completed to bare brass the handsome ECJS clerestory full brake and it brings home what a resource we are losing in 4mm.Danny explained that it is as difficult to tool up for 4 as 7 but there is a miniscule profit margin which I can well imagine and this has influenced his decision.He does have some etches left and I think he could well be persuaded to continue the GNR range if enough people ask nicely enough!
David Eveleigh
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: D & S Models

Post by David Eveleigh »

May I humbly suggest that if traumatised by lack of tram coaches, you may wish to look at my website, www.eveleighcreations.com. Best wishse
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

David Eveleigh wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:10 am May I humbly suggest that if traumatised by lack of tram coaches, you may wish to look at my website, www.eveleighcreations.com. Best wishse
Will you be providing etchings of the bogie coaches in their flat (as opposed to banana'd) condition? I do like the look of the brake coach.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
David Eveleigh
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by David Eveleigh »

Re saggy coaches:
No - the coaches sagged almost immediately they went into service and it would be unrealistic to present them otherwise. Look at the photo on p50 in The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway by Hawkins and Reeve and there is a reference to this distortion in one of the texts, citing the heavy self contained buffers and the fact that the bogies had to be placed closer to the centre of the coach than was ideal because of the balconies. The sag is not something that they acquired in old age.
I was able to measure the amount of sag from the photos and calculate a radius from that. Initially I drew it as if they were bent like a ruler from end to end, ie. with the 'verticals' becoming radial to the centre of the curve. Then I realised that the framework would not have stretched along the top and compressed along the bottom, that the joints would simply have flexed a little to accommodate the curve. (It helps that I trained as a Civil Engineer.) Thus, each window shows a different degree of 'parallelograming' to its neighbours along the length of the coach. It was quite an involved process to draw it, but you realise when you see models of the bogie trams built straight how wrong that looks compared with all the photos of the real thing.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Thank you for that explanation.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.