North Eastern Region building livery query

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

North Eastern Region building livery query

Post by Bullhead »

Work on my station building is coming along fairly well and the principal section is almost ready for painting before I glaze it and add the window frames (see viewtopic.php?t=229). I've also made a tentative start on the train shed which will cover the platform, platform track, and engine release.

Does anyone know what colour woodwork such as doors should be painted to represent mid-1950s BR NER practice? I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the pale blue and ivory scheme at Grosmont -
- is accurate; it certainly has the right "look" to it and is better than a dull green. But before I start popping open the Humbrol, can anyone offer any pointers?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Bullhead,

Would the NYMR have used BR NE Region orange station nameboards with the NER paint scheme? I suppose it's possible.

I suspect that there were differences between between the three NER divisions and also styles changed over the years.

There is a copy of the LNER Schedule of colours on the LNER E group site at http://www.bulleid.force9.co.uk/lneeg/colours.html if any body has not found that yet.

The NER Association may be able to help you, there list of publications is at http://www.ner.org.uk/.

However it is probably heresy to suggest that you should copy somebody else (who may have got it wrong), but I strongly suspect that Tom Harland has the right paint scheme on his Bramblewick layout which is based on Robin Hood's Bay in late NER days and his paint scheme seems similar to both that of Goathland on the NYMR and Beamish. These are red-brown and cream on upper parts.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

By "mid-1950s BR NER" I mean British Railways North Eastern Region (hence the post title), not the North Eastern Railway, which of course disappeared in 1923 and (as you correctly say) had an attractive cream and burgundy colour scheme as here, at Levisham:

The superb 3-volume "North Eastern Record" published by the Historical Model Railway Society is excellent for all kinds of detail relating to the former North Eastern Railway - but not, unfortunately (and not unsurprisingly), for anything post-grouping or post-nationalisation.

So if anyone knows what colour paint BR North Eastern Region used on doors, downpipes, and the like, I'd love to know. I do like the sky blue and ivory scheme used at Grosmont so will plump for this unless anyone tells me otherwise.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Sorry Bullhead, I misread your post. Glancing through about 5 colour albums, there is plenty of justification for using the Grosmont colour scheme for a North Eastern Region station in the mid to late 50s.

I do have a picture of a timber signal box painted ivory with only the hand rails in blue, although most ex-NER boxes would be mostly brick built.

The water column at Battersby was green however.

Colombo
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

The painting scheme of Grosmont is BR North Eastern 1960's Livery. There were many different colour schemes thought about but the members of the station group and volunteers decided to go for the 1960 colour scheme. All this happened just after I joined the railway so it has possibly been painted for just under a year and still isn't finished!

Regards

Karl Restall
Last edited by karlrestall on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Thanks. I had half an idea that I'd read something to that effect in Moorsline, but wasn't sure.
SimonME46
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SimonME46 »

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well - not being well versed in LNER or BR(NER) matters...I had initially thought my prototype was ex-LMS, turns out it ended up part of BR(NER)...

I've tried 'googling' this and not come up with anything - precision paints website gives no indication on building colours, nor could I see anything from railmatch. Colombo's link to the LNER e group unf didn't work. I'm not sure from Karl's comment if the light blue/cream building livery came out in the '60's or mid '50's?

Could anyone clarify the colour schemes and timings of changes?

Can anyone suggest suitable paint suppliers, or will this be a case of mix as best as possible to suit colour photo's
Modelling Bradford (Exchange) platforms 1-5 in 7mm FS C1954-1960
SimonME46
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SimonME46 »

This site may be of interest. http://www.stationcolours.info/page3.html
Modelling Bradford (Exchange) platforms 1-5 in 7mm FS C1954-1960