N Gauge Wagon Help

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

N Gauge Wagon Help

Post by x568wcn »

I bought this wagon of Ebay last year, and the make has got me perplexed. I carries no makers marks, only what it shows on either side
North Eastern
York

to carry 25 tons.

It is a twin bogey van, and is of solid manufactured quality (not kit built). It has plastic wheels, but metal axles, and the U bend style couplings.

It is a very nice wagon, and I would like another to run with it.

Anyone help?
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

In the early to mid-1970s I built a 2mm scale model of Dent station on the Settle & Carlisle (watching a Minitrix Britannia with scale 6-inch deep wheel flanges soon got boring), and seem to remember that a vehicle like the one in your photograph was available from Graham Farish (who were producing a small range of N gauge wagons and coaches) around that time. I can't recall anything else about it and may be completely wrong, of course, but I'm moderately sure that's what it is.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes, I'm pretty certain it is Graham Farish - don't know the vintage, but 70s/80s sounds about right.

I've occasionally seen them on EBay, and the general style looks like the Farish brick and sulphate wagons.
I was under the impression that it was a generic design, but I could be wrong, and I haven't tried to find it in "Tatlow".

If you're looking at building bogie kits (eg. the Parkwood Warplate/Warwell and the Foxhunter(?) Boplate), then the bogies from this wagon could prove useful!!! (there was a shortage of suitable UK-scale bogies for kits - luckily the kit manufacturers are starting to catch up...)
At the end of last years, I bought a number of EBay Loco Coal and Sulphate wagons, just for that purpose - especially as I think I can use the bodies for something else.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Update:

I haven't found any more todate, but in Ken Hoole's Rail Centres No2 York, on page 93, there is a smaller 4w version as built in York.
This one says;
Road
N.E.R
Leeds Marsh Lane

to carry 15 tons

my 8w model says
North Eastern
York

to carry 25 tons

so we can assertain it is modelled on a real wagon
Attachments
DSCF0958-edit.JPG