D49/2 - My Latest Acquisition

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

D49/2 - My Latest Acquisition

Post by Bullhead »

More than 2 years in the building, here at last is my PDK (paired with a Dave Alexander flare-sided tender) D49/2 "Hunt" class 62747 "The Percy". She is DCC fitted and runs as well as she looks.

Credit to http://www.steamline.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page2.html for the top-class construction job. Next up will be a DJH BR standard 3MT 2-6-0 and then, unless Bachmann or Hornby produce an RTR version, probably a Dave Bradwell K1.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

D49

Post by rob »

Congratulations Bullhead thats a really nice example,well wear.I have two,one hunt one shire, built from the old McGowan kits but towing SEF tenders.I built them about ten years ago and they look like Hornby Dublo compared to this! Still anything with the motor in the body is better than the old Hornby "Shunt"-half Hunt,half Shire,with wobbly slippy tender drive.I imagine Hornby China will get around to a proper version eventually but if I didnt have two already I'd happily build from the PDK kithaving seen this.Your layout looks great too!
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Well Bullhead, I really do have to agree with Rob, that is a first class job. The weathering is dead right as well: I regret weathering my own, The Atherstone, to a rather greater extent. You have also got the drain pipes under the cab for the injectors. That is a nice touch and missing from mine.

You really must post a picture of the other side showing the rodding driving the Lenz rotary cam. Richard would be fully justified in replacing the photo of my Hunt with yours on his locomotive page.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It does look a grand model :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Colombo wrote:You really must post a picture of the other side showing the rodding driving the Lenz rotary cam.
Your wish is my command! :D

GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

I must say, I'm in agreement with the others - a lovely looking model - and nice weathering too.The layout looks really good as well. Well done!

GeoffB
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

May I add the second photo to the D49 page?
As Colombo suggested, the unusual valve gear is clear on the second photo...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Of course! :D