Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - LNER 06 from MOK 8F

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - The A3, Oh no not again...

Post by Robpulham »

While I have been pottering about with the A3 and F8 Chris has slowly but surely weathering the J63

I took it along for a run on Asenby St Peter at Telfrod and while it really looks the part the plunger pickups are still not right - it runs fine forward but very intermittently in reverse:(

Here are a few shots of the super weathering job.

The shiny mark on the last two photos by the cab door is a drop of water - no idea where it came from but it's gone now.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - The A3, Oh no not again...

Post by Robpulham »

The last week has been spent working away at the outstanding bits on the A3

Besides that this is a list of what was left to do:
[s]Re fit the brakes[/s]
[s]Fit front bogie[/s]
secure tender pickup wire - ditto loco pick up wire
Fit Cylinder covers - prepared ready to add
Fit Buffers - Blackened ready for fitting.
[s]Fit the valve rocker sub assembly - this might be a challenge to solder as it needs to be soldered between two narrow white metal flanges.[/s]
[s]Finish backhead and fit[/s] - See below
Glaze the cab
Fit Seats - soldered up ready for gluing in after painting.
Fit crew - Arms soldered on and painted ready for fitting
finish painting and add plates.- Plates cleaned up ready for painting

One of the last major (possibly not to some) items was the backhead. Why I say major is that what you see below is the result of more than 12 hours very enjoyable modelling.

All the pipes that go into the fittings that were cast on the backhead are soldered with 100 degree solder.

The hose that is on the right hand side is a scratch built replacement for this - it was made from soft brass beading wire wrapped around with very fine beading wire which is then soldered in place (why it looks silver grey). The tap fitting is a Connoisseur clack valve cross drilled to take a cast hand wheel that I had in the scrap box.

I would like to paint the surrounds of the dials in brass but I am not sure that my hand is steady enough but I may have a go at masking it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - DJH A3 nearing the finish l

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Robpulham wrote:I am not sure that my hand is steady enough
'course it is! stop making excuses....... :wink:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Robpulham wrote:I am not sure that my hand is steady enough
'course it is! stop making excuses....... :wink:
Funny you should say that Graeme. I bit the bullet last night and painted them.

That bit went fine in the end I then hit the greater snag of that there doesn't seem to be any way to get the backhead into the cab without taking the roof off. Which of course is nicely soldered on....... :evil: :!:

Having thought on it overnight I can see other advantages with making the cab roof removable but it will mean stripping the paint too.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Yesterday I decided to take the cab back out of the paint stripper - I have been checking it and to be honest I could have taken it out some time ago but I was distracted by coaches.

First let me share with you what I used to strip it - Cheapo local Coop Dettol substitute. I got the idea from fellow Guild member George T, I would have used proper Dettol like George does but when I went they only had their own brand. In the end it too worked fine, nice smell, easy on your hands win/win with the household authorities!

So here are a few shots of the state of play now that I have taken the roof off.

The cast roof vent came out and one of the round castings in the cab side came adrift too so I will need to remove the false floor which shouldn't present too many problems. Now having seen the detail that Nick has added to the princesses cabs I am on the lookout for cab detail before I put it all back together.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

As a bit of a break from construction I have had a couple of days doing some painting.

Just after the new year I went along to Warren Haywood's house (Warren is another resident of Wakefield). Warren had kindly offered to give me some hints and tips on painting and lining (for those of you who don't know Warren's work, Warren is a professional model painter who paints for among others Tower Models and Finescale Brass).

When we arranged it Warren suggested that I take along my bow pens, bow compasses etc. so that he could try them out and suggest which may need attention (or throwing away :lol:). I also took along the tender for the A3 working on the theory that if I needed something to practice on that could be it.

Once he had tested my pens etc. Warren kindly suggested that he line the red and white of one side of the tender to give me something to work to when I started myself - As you might imagine I jumped at the opportunity.

Yesterday I had a go at the other side.

I am sure that you can work out that the top image is Warrens fine work, while that below is mine. My mlines are not quite as fine as Warrens in places but that said I am quite pleased with the result, and as someone else once remarked - you cant see both sides at once :D
7mm Mick
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 7mm Mick »

Hi Rob,

Great job on the tender lining, both sides as well! I don't think you can tell that much between the two sides, I would be over the moon with that as a first effort mate, well done

Cheers Mick
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Mick,

I am :D
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

The painting bug has really bitten at the moment and more detail on the A3 has ensued - I need to let it dry thoroughly before handling it for photography though.

While that's been going on and I had the enamel paints out I had another go at some of the various nameplates that I have tried unsuccessfully to paint in the past. When I say unsuccessfully I mean that I wasn't happy with the result.

So first up is the makers plates for the turntable.

These were done as suggested by Warren Haywood, painted with "white" (actually Humbrol ivory with a drip of black in it) enamel and left to harden for a few days followed up by a coat of Citadel Chaos black acrylic which was left to dry for 10 mins and then rubbed gently with a piece of thick card to remove the black paint from the raised lettering. While not perfect - but neither was the etching.... especially the maximum load line, it's a big improvement on my earlier efforts. The next job is to strip my Charles Roberts plates and e do them using the same method which will be fiddly but hopefully and improvement.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I am still beavering away with the A3 and another bit is now complete.

I have also managed to make the roof removable while still being secure when it's attached. I will take photos once I start putting the can back together.

In the meantime this is some of the fruits of my painting endeavours.

52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all
As a non modeller I never cease to be amazed by the attention to detail that you all show. Well done.

52H
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks 52H, it's nice of you to say so.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very nice model Rob.

What year approx are you modeling as I see you have the old GNR lamp iron positions and the twin bar sliding hatch cover which was introduced 08-1945,
I thought the extra lamp iron was removed in the 30's so I don't think the front end as you have it is fully correct. A small hinged plate
was fitted over the access hole from 27-03-1933.

I came across this when I was back dating an A3 body and did not realise about the covers and lamp iron positions.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Early to mid 30's Dave - I did wonder about the sliding hatch having just noticed it's absence on some photos. I will have to live with it now or I will never get the blessed thing finished. It's been quite a learning curve.....
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Along side lining the A3 I have also taken the plunge and lined Severn - for those that don't remember it, I scratch built it in 2010 and painted it blue but I decided to give it the finish that it really deserves - although I doubt that Colonel Stephens would have splashed out on lining the wheels.....

I have gone a bit mad with the photos because I am really pleased with my efforts on this one.

All the lining has been done with bow pen and compasses using Humbrol enamels.

I made a couple of jigs to assist with the lining and I will take some photos of them tomorrow.