Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - LNER 06 from MOK 8F

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - LNER 06 from MOK 8F

Post by Robpulham »

For my birthday in October I received a CRT Kits LMS Period One full brake in 7mm scale and ultimately my wife got a little impatient to see me start it so the Q7 build is on hold while I complete it (not far to go now). While the coach itself probably isn't appropriate for this forum (unless people want to see it) but I thought I would show some pictures of the scratch built interior that I have done for it. The only bought item is a lovely cast brass brake standard all the rest including the fire extinguishers I have made from brass sheet, wire and tube (here I tell a small lie - as I typed this I remembered that the etched plates on the fire extinguishers are from one of the Mainly Trains wagon brake gear etches).

So far I have calculated about forty hours building the kit so far which makes for extremely good value for money in entertainment terms.
LMS BG 003.JPG
The gauge above the fire extinguisher will have a face attached once all is painted and I will post some pictures of it all once it's painted
LMS BG 004.JPG
If you look closely I have put a key in the lock of the cash box and a key rack and key on the lookout side with a coat rack complete with coat at the other side (I do have to thank Mrs P for the coat).
LMS BG 005.JPG
LMS BG 007.JPG
LMS BG 001.JPG
Last edited by Robpulham on Sun May 04, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Workbench - A bit of scratch building

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ah - the sheer beauty of "0" gauge.

Wow.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 2562 »

Nice work Rob, I'm impressed.

Andy
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Its a good job you pictured the coat or you would have been in the dog house, seriously though some nice modelling. I may have to step up to O gauge if you can achieve effects like that.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks for the kind comments all.

It is my first foray into 7mm and I am now tempted to try to replicate some of the external detail at least, in the 4mm version that I am building in tandem with this :shock: Nothing like a challenge.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

As I mentioned below while building the 7mm LMS BG I have also built in tandem a Comet 4mm Period III version.

Following on from the success of my scratch build above I decided to see what I could do for an interior for this one as well. While I haven't managed all the fine details I am pleased with what I have managed.

These are the basic parts as I cut them out
4mm LMS BG 001.JPG
All the parts assembled before attaching to the floor pan. The brake standard was made up of bit's of tube, washers and a cast wheel from S-Kits (I used a handrail knob for the turning spigot - not sure what they are called). All the rest were made from brass sheet, tube and off cuts of etched fret. I did try to put more than basic clasps on the cash boxes and locker -no keys here :shock:
4mm LMS BG 011.JPG
A few views of them after they were attached.
4mm LMS BG 013.JPG
4mm LMS BG 014.JPG
4mm LMS BG 015.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

As my scratch build gets nearer to completion (possibly wishful thinking on my part) I have got my A3 out of the box and read through the instructions a couple of times and marking off the parts that are not needed for my Build - Papyrus in the late 1920's. This was the last A3 to have a corridor tender giving it up in 1937. Another reason was I picked up a selection of name plates at Halifax for £1 and Papyrus was amongst them.

Another task has been to remove all the castings from the plastic bubbles and put them into multi-compartment trays (sold for embroidery cottons) and labelled up with what parts are in each compartment. Hopefully repaying the time spent, during the build having done it a bit at a time over the last three weeks. It is my intention to build the A3 at weekends and finish of some of the part built projects during the week as I have spare time - starting with the Q7
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Workbench - DJH A3

Post by Robpulham »

I know this is not LNER but I thought I would show a few of pictures of Severn, my 7mm scratch build that I have just completed.

Next up the A3 I promise :D
Attachments
Finished at last 004s.JPG
Finished at last 003s.JPG
Finished at last 005.JPG
Finished at last 008.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Well I have made a start on the A3 getting the inner tender complete with brakes and waterscoop and quite a bit of the tender itself constructed - the detailing on the frames except the castings and the front bulkhead.

I have to say the DJH instructions are somewhat lacking to say how much this kit cost. :twisted:

I am not going to post a blow by blow account of the build due to the number of Hachette versions currently on the go so I will post pics as I complete the tender and chassis etc. I also added the balance weights to the drivers and filled them with illiput to make them solid
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Tonight I managed to finish the tender for the A3 and mighty fine it looks too :D :D - sadly no photo's due to the camera being packed for tomorrows jollies. :P

Even though it is predominantly brass it still weighs quite a bit with the castings for the corridor adding to the weight.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think I was on my travels when you posted the "Severn" photos. Manning Wardle?
Very good - I still haven't tried to scratch build anything. Just modifications

Where did you get the fittings or did you make them?
I suspect I'm going to have to source or make some ancient fittings for my '1001' which is waiting in the wings.
I also fancy trying to scratch build a Jenny Lind - but that will be years away and would need a lot of research. I definitely need ancient fittings for that!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Richard,

I have just seen this having returned this morning from my holiday. The castings were collected from various sources, mostly Hobby Horse developments for the back head and fittings, the safety valve is Laurie griffin and the rest I picked up either from eBay or the bits and bats stalls at Halifax show.

The loco itself was originally built as an 0-4-0 tender engine by Bury, Curtis and Kennedy of Liverpool for the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway it then passed to the LNWR and then Griff colliery who rebuilt it to an 0-4-2 tank
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks!

I was planning to try and build an 0-4-0ST Manning Wardle as a kit or scratch at some point, but I see Ixion are producing one RTR. Still keeping an eye out for early fittings though - I have some other ideas of possible future projects.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Richard,
If it is 7mm castings you need for a 1001, have you thought of contacting Medley Models n Leeds to see if he will sell you just the casting from his 1001 kit.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Wolf of Badenoch wrote:Richard,
If it is 7mm castings you need for a 1001, have you thought of contacting Medley Models n Leeds to see if he will sell you just the casting from his 1001 kit.
You don't happen to have a phone number for Medley do you? I actually live only a couple of miles away but I am reluctant to call in. I have a query about spares for one of their kits that I have.
Thanks.