Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - LNER 06 from MOK 8F

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - Always something going on..

Post by 60800 »

I find it to be oddly cute :oops:

Nurse, where's the b####y pills?!?
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

:D
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A bit more progress was made on Nellie over the weekend.

Roof curved and strengthened by another piece of plate underneath and a whistle made from some rod/tube and washers. The coal rail is now soldered on and despite liking the idea of some of the Laurie Griffin cast tapered hand rails I elected to solder some of the rod that came with the kit in place.

Following comments elsewhere about it looking Drummondish with the valves in the dome, I was thinking about filing them off and adding some safety valves from the scrap box but a quick look through the RCTS green bible showed that some J83 and J88's had similar dome with "lock valves" so I decided that was good LNER enough for me

On Saturday I had a trip to the local model shop and picked up a set of Slaters pre grouping buffers. I drilled out 4 holes and added some brass pins with the heads filed square - my stock of scale hardware didn't yield anything suitable.

Still to do is the cab detail, the brakes and to look at Y7's etc. to see what they had in the way of balance weights
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Nellie's a little cracker! :wink: :wink:
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Is the prototype based on the class derived from the power unit of steam Autocars?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Shades of Tri-ang's "Nellie."

Lovely.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks for the kind words gents they are appreciated.
52D wrote:Is the prototype based on the class derived from the power unit of steam Autocars?
Not as far as I know - it's loosely based on the LSWR C14 but very loosely - the C14 had outside cylinders!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Upon reading an article of making lubractors in the latest Gauge O Guild Gazette I decide to add some to Nellie. The ones described in the article were for Silvertown lubricators as opposed to the ones that I have made but the principle is the same.

Strting with a length of brass bar I measured 10mm along and marked it (for two lubricators 5mm in length each). I then filed a slope on the top, drilled 4 holes for the pipes on the bottom and got a piece of scrap fret and marked it to length and then filed either end back to leave a handle. I then placed this on a partially opened mini vice and creased it slightly using a small flat screwdriver blade. I soldered the top on with 298 degree solder and my micro flame to prevent it coming lose while attaching the pipes and then subsequently soldering it to the tank fronts.

I also started on the cab interior adding the back head to the false floor and making use of the lever reverser that came with te J63 kit.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Nellie is as complete as I want her to be.
The last details added are Laurie Griffin LNER lamp irons and some nice cast brass vacuum pipes (not sure whose but they are nice).

I have added the rest of the detail to the back head and I also knocked up a brake standard from tube, washers, brass rod and a handrail knob. This is now drying, having been primed along with the crew. The chassis is also drying having been primed too.

I just need to see if my Maskol is still usable for the brass pipework on the back head and that will be primed too. The holes in the floor plate are for the crew and the brake standard once I have put down the wooden floor they will sit on top.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Looks excellent Rob. Can't waiting to see it painted!

Hows the A3?
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Steve, you shouldn't have to wait too long - I primed her an hour or so ago.

The A3 is waiting until I have finished my current project at work when I can put some thinking time into solving the outstanding problems.

Nellie was a simple distraction from those issues but to be fair she has grown to be more than that. I will now be keeping her rather than putting her up for sale as I originally intended (unless I get an offer I can't refuse of course :D ).
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

The backhead photo shewing the two injectors, the water handles are shewn fully open. I don't know if these handles are workable or not but when the injector was working the water handles would normally be maybe 45 degrees and when not working 90 degrees. Lovely detail and does inspire one to achieve better standards as well.
Well done, Jim Brodie.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

James Brodie wrote:I don't know if these handles are workable or not but when the injector was working the water handles would normally be maybe 45 degrees and when not working 90 degrees.
Thanks Jim, they are all solid - the wheels held with 300 degree solder :shock:
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

Bob, Couldn't think of the name of the injectors -most of our ex NER locos had them fitted, we knew them as Combination Injectors as against Tank Feed injectors. When I was passed from Cleaner to Passed Cleaner by the Shed Master 24-3-52 I had to fire round the box then put on a Combination Injector apart from answering rule questions. You first moved the water handle down part way then gently opened the steam valve until you heard the 'clack lift' then more steam and a deft close and open the water valve and the injector used to ''sing'' you looked down to the overflow pipe to alter the water flow so no water was wasting. The driver side injector was the one with the 'slacker' pipe on it for wetting the coal down and washing the cab floor. On our G5s on the 1-45 gradient we would have the firemans injector on all the time and then the drivers side had to be put on to keep the water in sight in the gauge glasses so when we reached the station at the top of the climb the firebox crown would still be covered. had many a run looking down into the bottom of the glass with heart in mouth. Our two G5s had what was equal to a tank feed injector and to save water we put steam on first and closed it last.
Jb
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Jim, Oh to have 2 G5's these days....

I hear you on the heart in your mouth, It easy to forget when modelling that these were earning their living the hard way.