Corridor connectors

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Corridor connectors

Post by TimMeese »

Does anyone know a good source of corridor connectors? I found that the Modellers Mecca product worked very well, but they no longer have a web presence or working e-mail address. I made up a train of my own from folded black paper, but for the large number that I need it will be too time consuming to ever get to the top of the priority list, and in any case they are not as reliable as the Modellers Mecca product. The slaters product is very nice, but too expensive and fiddly for anything other than specimen vehicles (for me at least).

Thanks
Tim
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

have you tried the Keen couplers sytem. it would remove the need to add connecters and you can still run your locos even round th tightest corners.

www.keen-systems.com
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

I've thought about the keen system, but always shied away. Perhaps I've worried about buffer lock or snagging on the connectors, but I'm guessing you've used them and they work well.
Can they be fitted to Bachmann's Mk1 s and the new hornby Gresleys?

BTW, has anyone ever had any troouble with the Mk 1s? I've found that they are all fine except the BCK (of which I have 2 or 3), which derail far too easily. My main puzzle was that, for the life of me, I could not see any mechanism difference between the BCKs and any of the others. I hacked a working solution, but I would love to know what the fudamental problem was. (It wasn't anything to do with the positioning at the end/beginning of train!).

t.
Tim
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

i've not used them but i've only heard good things about them. i think buffer lock can be avoided as the coaches begin to seperate from the beginning of the turn. I'm afraid im using an interesting mix of tension lock and 3 link at the mo, as my layout doesn't have a permanant home i havn't bothered to uniform my rolling stock, but i think for corridor coaching stock the keen system will be the one for me.

The website claims that they can be fitted to almost any coach so the Bachmann mk1's should be no problem. all you should have to do is slightly modify the floor.

good luck
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

OK, I'll give these a go and report back when I do, thanks.

But in the meantime, I'm keen to hear of any other thoughts on the topic.

cheers
Tim
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I bought some off Ebay from seller Conntronics http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... onntronics But these were only the folded back paper variety, and being in N Gauge, with very light coaches, they went round the first coner...and all tipped over, so I ditched them!

Mark T
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
n-gauge-solutions
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Corridor gangway connectors

Post by n-gauge-solutions »

hi to all.
I make Corridor gangway connectors for N gauge and 00. Unlike many others where you use one connecter to span the gap which attaches to both coaches in one, I use two seperate connectors one on each coach so the coaches are not connected via the gangway. As they travel round curves they rub against each other reduceing force/pressure and not pulling your coaches of the rails. If you go on ebays web site and search for my user name in the community section ( n-gauge-solutions ) you will be able to see pictures of them and a quick description.
Regards
John
n-gauge-solutions@hotmail.co.uk
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

Dear all - Like John, I also had a go at making my own, to what sounds like a similar design (and that of the Modeller's Mecca product) and they worked ok - no derailments. I also had a go with the keen system (as mentioned earlier in the thread). This looked ok to me, but I needed about 150 pairs of them, and that was going to work out too expensive and too time consuming.

The good news is (for those who don't know), Modeller's Mecca have reinstated their web site: http://www.modellersmecca.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

The bad news is that they have just increased the price from £1.50 per pair to £2.00 per pair (for 4mm). I bought mine a while back and spoke to them over the phone and they were able to offer a very reasonable discount for large orders.

BTW - I have found the modelllers mecca product to be 100% reliable: it has never been responsible for a derailment.
Tim
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

So I bought some, and put one on each end of the new farish Pullmans, then hooked them all up, to find that they are close coupling, and the connectors just push the coaches off the track, so took them off the end of every other coach, then gave it ago, and this is th result,
With the newly fixed Coldstreamer hauling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-0QS9DPZE
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

Oh dear - perhaps not so hot for 2mm then.

I've just put together a new rake of Mk I Pullmans in 4mm. Again, 100% success. My track includes some S bends into the 14 road fiddle yard, and while these can cause problems for moguls, the corridor connectors that have passed over them have been fine. Few of my (hidden) continuous curves are sharper than 3rd radius though.

regards
Tim
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Perhaps they'll only work on larger diameter curves?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
n-gauge-solutions
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Corridor gangway connectors

Post by n-gauge-solutions »

Hi as I have said earlier in this blog, I make Corridor gangway connectors and sell them on eBay. Unlike other Corridor gangway connectors that are one complete piece, I use two smaller separate connectors one on each coach end instead of the one. so as they travel around curves they don’t strain and push the coaches of the rails. As they travel around a curve they rub against one another and move more freely and unless you are using them on some really tight curve below 9 inch then you should not have a problem. Please check out my eBay account at http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/n-gauge-solutions and see what you think. I also have just started a blog for people to comment on these items.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

They're the ones I bought!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

corridor connector update

Post by TimMeese »

I've noticed this post has received quite a few hits so I thought I'd add an update.

1. In case any one is wondering, I'm not in the pay of Modeller's Mecca :-)

2. I continue to use their product with great success (in 4 mm)

3. The last time I used their site I found that the price per unit decreased if you ordered enough. I'm not sure what the critical number is, but I think about 6 should do it.

Best
Tim