GER in N gauge

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rik Alewijnse
NER Y7 0-4-0T

GER in N gauge

Post by Rik Alewijnse »

Hello,

my main interest is the GER section of the LNER, especially the Harwich branch. I am collecting N gauge stock and kits witha view to modelling Wrabness in the '30s.

1. has anyone detailed the 1970s Farish 'Holden tank' to more accurately represent a J67/69?

2. has anyone thoughts about how to go about modelling ex GER 6 wheel carriages for local trains?

3. Similarly, any ideas where to start modelling an F4/F5?

I am happy to get the representation reasonably right, rather than worrying about exact detail. It is N, after all!

thanks,

...Rik
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the forums, Rik.

I still haven't managed to get my hands on a 'Holden Tank'. Two have been on EBay in recent months, but the starting price for one was GBP40 (!) and I was outbid on the second.

BH Enterprises sell a 6 wheeled coach. I don't know how close this is to the GER coaches. It is also whitemetal. I have one unmade, but haven't really looked at the instructions.
They also sell a J70 kit.

An F4/F5 might be a scratch building job. I'm not sure what you'd use for a chassis - perhaps take one from a Dapol 0-4-2T or 0-4-4T?

The N scene is a bit weak in the GER department. Union Mills have sold a B12 in the past - there might be further batches in the future.
For the GE region, I hear that Langley have recently introduced a kit of the Thompson B2 (rebuild of the Gresley B17), and Minitrix used to sell a Britannia.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia