Longdrem & The Pinkhill Branch

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Longdrem & The Pinkhill Branch

Post by 60027Merlin »

For those who may be interested I managed to have my layout, based on the ECML outside Edinburgh in the late 50s, placed on the RMWeb site. There are a number of photos of LNER pacifics and some ex-NBR classes as well. Most of the locos are local of course from 64B.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: Longdrem & The Pinkhill Branch

Post by v3man »

Coming originally from just east of Edinburgh I'd like to see the website but can't seem to find it. Can you give us the website address?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Superb layout with some interesting locos. Particularily 60813 and 60097. I'm going to have a go at creating 60813 myself but where does one get smoke deflectors for 60097 nowadays?
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

v3man wrote:Coming originally from just east of Edinburgh I'd like to see the website but can't seem to find it. Can you give us the website address?

It is www.rmweb.co.uk, if you scroll down the first page (Forums) the Modelling section is first and click on "layout topics" and you will find it in the first few pages.
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Superb layout with some interesting locos. Particularily 60813 and 60097. I'm going to have a go at creating 60813 myself but where does one get smoke deflectors for 60097 nowadays?
That's a good question! I used the Crownline set for Humorist (about 20 years ago) but, like the loco, the Crownline range of parts is long gone and it is difficult to obtain spares from kit manufacturers nowadays. Rummaging through second hand areas in trade stands at exhibitions is always recommended though.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I had a tender drive Humorist with Crownline bits but I disposed of it along with all my tender drive stuff in 2004 before moving back to Perth.

Here's the thing though. I've been to Dirleton today on a wedding hire from Edinburgh with our (Stagecoach Heritage Fleet) trusty ex Western SMT Leyland Titan PD3 and was right in the real part of the world where your layout is based. We came back along an unclassified road from West Fenton Farm and crossed over the old Gullane branch - the bridge is still there but the trackbed is now incorporated in the fields.

The main road runs alongside the ECML of course but nothing unusual to report.
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

Today is the 50th. anniversary of the start of the last season of the A4 hauled Elizabethan.

I took some photos of the Haymarket A4s on the layout to commemorate this however I cannot get even one of them transferred across to this topic, something about the file being too big, it's way beyond me!

They are on the RMweb site today though for any A4 aficionados who may be interested.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Excellent modelling, it captures the sense of the area. I have real photos of a lot of the engines featured on our facebook site Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Just found this. Think it's great. A monument to focussed effort (speaking as one who finds great difficulty with focus - probably with effort also....).

auldreekie
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

Hello Auld Reekie, glad that you like the 64B locos and others seen in the city as well.

It is difficult to transfer photos on to this site as the maximum size is 500 kb and mine all seem to be bigger than that. Unfortunately I am not too well versed in such technicalities however, I attach, hopefully, some photos severely cropped which spoils them but it's worth a try! I had 6 to transfer and on attempting the 5th. one a warning appeared on the screen that 4 is the maximum.

Railway modelling is easier!
Copy of A4 60027 Merlin.JPG
Copy of A4 & D34.JPG
Copy of A2 60530 Sayajirao.JPG
Copy A3 60101 Cicero.JPG
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

Here is the other two.
Copy of D34 62487 Glen Arklet.JPG
Copy of J88 68342.JPG
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Ooohhh the nostalgia for the fifties. I didn't think this possible. NOT Glen Arklet, it's too much.....

You wouldn't have the Laird o'Monkbarns and Adam Woodcock as well? Not to mention James Fitzjames, Malcolm Graeme/Graham, and I forget the other D11/2s which temporarily inhabited the sidings at Longniddry..... Nlot Luckie Mucklebackit -- I couldn't have missed that one.

Don't, however, use up your picture allocation for me.

Eheu fugaces

auldreekie
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

And incidentally I appreciate the Piershill-pattern station buildings also....

auldreekie
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

auldreekie wrote:Ooohhh the nostalgia for the fifties. I didn't think this possible. NOT Glen Arklet, it's too much.....

You wouldn't have the Laird o'Monkbarns and Adam Woodcock as well? Not to mention James Fitzjames, Malcolm Graeme/Graham, and I forget the other D11/2s which temporarily inhabited the sidings at Longniddry..... Nlot Luckie Mucklebackit -- I couldn't have missed that one.

Don't, however, use up your picture allocation for me.

Eheu fugaces

auldreekie
You will find the Laird on the other side i.e. RMweb. As for the Directors, it's only a matter of time thanks to Bachmann.
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Thanks indeed.

Yes, I have just spent rather a long time whizzing through your posts in "the other place", with promise to self to spend rather a lot more time in the near future. Both "Lairds", I see. Afraid I missed Balmawhapple in the flesh (unless, as he may have been, he was one of those awaiting a dreadful doom at Longniddry...). But I DO appreciate your authentic treatment of the Lady of the Lake on death row. Allow me too to plead for her retention in the face of Bachmannisation..... And I'm sure you could manage a few more NBR 4-4-0s! (Cheeky beggar).

Your junction rather reminiscent of the old Aberlady branch, altho' pointing the other way. It has occurred to me before now that that would make a good feature, with its steep drop away and its odd "right of way" extended footbridge.

auldreekie