B17/3 (or is it B17/5?)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

B17/3 (or is it B17/5?)

Post by Tom Quayle »

Having read the masterclass on the 'Footballers' in steam railway and looking at the pic in the locomotives area (great job Richard) I would like to know if a kit is avalable to produce a B17/3 (or as I like to call them 'Baby A4s'). Or is it going to be a case of a Hornby B17 with a cut and shut A4 body. I can see this being a difficult project :?
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Its the B17/5 which was streamlined and the masterclass article is in Model Rail.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

As far as i know there are no kits available (I have looked myself). I think it would be difficulty to get the streamlined casing and the arched running plate to line up. I know it is possible though as ive seen a body for a b17 and a W1 made from shortend or lengthened hornby A4 bodies at a show years ago.

It may be worth checking out Isinglass drawings for a b17/5 drawing. I think a representation and not a true scale model would be possible and fairly cheap with an old hornby A4 body, comet or hornby b17 chassis and a scratchbuilt tender body on hornby or bachman chassis. I think the tender would be quite simple to make from plasticard.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

There is at least one good picture of a b17/5 in early BR days in the Big four remembered book. Most of the pictures i have seen are LNER so this must be quite rare as they didnt last in streamlined form very long
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

1951 I think they were returned to normal spec
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
rob

Post by rob »

Tom ;I'm almost certain that Coopercraft/Mailcoach produced a resin body and tender kit for this and I think intended to produce the East Anglian rake as well.If I remember correctly it was designed for the Hornby chassis and (awful)tender drive system.It might be worth giving them a ring (afternoons) they're a helpful supplier and might be able to tell you more-most likely that its discontinued or didn't generate enough interest to be put into production;on the other hand it may just prove that I've inhaled enough paint and solder fumes in 15 years of LNER modelling to be suffering hallucinations..........it's an interesting project,best of luck and keep us posted!
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

I've also seen one based on a "cut and shut" A4 in 4mm scale. Thirty-five years ago and by the standards of those days it was just about acceptable.
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

There is a colour photograph (albeit the loco was painted black by the LNER during the war!) of 61659 City of London with streamlined casing and "British Railways" on the tender at Liverpool Street in 1949, in "On Great Eastern Lines" by Peter Swinger.

The loco was repainted in July 1949 in LNER green, again with "British Railways" on the tender.

The streamlining was removed in April 1951.

Regards
Paul
rob

Post by rob »

Hello Tom,I don't know if this is any help but further to my hunch about Coopercraft I looked up my old catalogues and they listed a B17/5 kit in their 1997 catalogue.There were a number of options,one supplied with the Comet chassis kit and tender wheels(£112),one to fit the Hornby loco and tender drive(not supplied,£75).They also did the 6 coaches based on the Kirk kits but with resin sides.The whole lot could be supplied as a set if desired.I would guess it entered production because on the opposite page was a list of limited edition coaches also in resin and I have one of these-I regret I didn't buy more, particularly the Dia18&19 113' articulated sleeper first - that sounds impressive!There was only one item unpriced and listed as"coming soon" so AS the East Anglian was priced I'd say it was in production then.I enquired whether the coaches would be produced again about two years ago and there were no current plans so sadly I'd imagine the same goes for the loco kit.I know they did a resin kit for the B12/3 at this time and gather it was not that well reviewed,withdrawn for modification I think and never reappeared - it is also listed in this catalogue along with a projected B12/1 which I imagine never saw the light of day.I suppose there is only a limited market for a loco like the B17/5 but when you consider SEF seem to have a market for something as obscure as the GER Decapod I'm surprised the kit doesn't appear to have been a success.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Yours for the bargain price of £140

http://www.modelfair.com/cgi-bin/sh0003 ... aKIT100066
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Ok so the link doesnt work. But Modelfair.com have got a B17/5 made from a combination of Hornby dublo and Triang parts.
rob

Post by rob »

I'm trying to imagine it.No,its unimaginable....pity the link doesn't work,it would be worth a peep....seriously though...Tri-ang AND Hornby-Dublo?A B12 chassis and a chopped up A4 bodyshell and tender?Possibly as a Neverwazza hybrid but 140squid?!?
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Try this it doesnt actually lookas bad asit sounds!

http://www.modelfair.com/acatalog/Kits_ ... tives.html
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks for that,you're quite right it is better than it sounds and makes quite an interesting Neverwazza!There probably is a buyer out there,especially given the prices paid for oddities from Wrenn etc.
rob

Post by rob »

Hello Tom,
I don't know if you are still interested but there appears to be a B17/5 kit back on the market,£50,resincast,loco body and tender for the Hornby model,try Golden Arrow models,01424 445334.Let us know how you get on,I might consider one myself eventually.Good luck!