Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Edgware GN. B2, update.

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thank you Pebbles.

I have an original copy of Bird's second edition (1910) - I find it really useful.
Lovely book.
However all diagrams are side elevation, so I am unable to get information on roof profiles, spectacles and such.

I guess the Isinglass drawings are next for a search.
Thank you very much for your input.

regards
Kimball
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I don't have the final Gresley-period volume of Groves' GNR RCTS series, but I have found the first three parts very useful. There's a great deal of overlap with Bird, almost verbatim in places, but there's much extra information in Groves. There's also overlap with the sections of the RCTS LNER series that cover those GN classes that survived into LNER ownership.
I've found that there were a number of things that I couldn't work out, as far as was necessary for decent modelling attempts, until I had read everything on the Stirling 2-4-0, 0-4-2, 2-2-2 and 0-6-0 classes in Groves in particular, but also with reference to Bird and to the LNER volumes. I had found that not all details and dimensions were mentioned for each type / series of loco, but that by reference to dates of construction along with "known shared features" and available photographs it was possible to deduce probable figures for some of the missing dimensions.
Various volumes of Locomotives Illustrated are helpful too...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

One fairly important publication is the Great Northern Society "Great Northern Railway Locomotive Tenders" by the late Malcolm Crawley, with diagrams
and drawings by Paul Craig (ANK John Coffin). A useful tool in the armoury.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very much so.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Glowing the in the reflection of my past work, I wonder if there is another market for a set
of drawings of Stirling cab drawings and also smokebox drawings.

Since my TUIT box has plans for etched kits for many Stirling locos, I have most Stirling
passenger tender loco GA's it is something that is already on the computer.

But it ain't gonna be free.

Whilst happy to share info, drawings are not free.

Paul
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

As the designer of the C12 that Chas is building elsewhere, I thought I might remark on one item
that he mentioned.

The pipe running down the right side of almost all Ivatt locos is a blower pipe.
It goes from the smokebox back to the cab, and it was particularly valuable when loco's were stopped in
tunnels, and the regulator was closed off, the loco needed to keep the fire drawn properly other wise it
might well have got smothered and gone out.

I try to include all the things that are visible in my kits, but sometimes it is really difficult, especially
when the detail drawings are not available easily, particularly things like flood injectors.

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for that Paul, I didn't know what it was, but now I do, I'll see if I can incorporate it on to some of the GN locos I've built.

Now onto GC a loco, The B2 is now running with it's own tender, the XO4 is a bit hesitant at the moment, so I'll give it plenty of running, if it gets better fine, if not I'll replace it with a new can motor.

Next loco in the build line is one of Dave S's chassis, with bigger wheels, similar to the J6, but a J5. I'm soldering the chassis together at the moment, so no pics

manna
Attachments
DSCF5671.JPG
DSCF5673.JPG
DSCF5674.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

john coffin wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:32 am As the designer of the C12 that Chas is building elsewhere, I thought I might remark on one item
that he mentioned.

The pipe running down the right side of almost all Ivatt locos is a blower pipe.
It goes from the smokebox back to the cab, and it was particularly valuable when loco's were stopped in
tunnels, and the regulator was closed off, the loco needed to keep the fire drawn properly other wise it
might well have got smothered and gone out.

I try to include all the things that are visible in my kits, but sometimes it is really difficult, especially
when the detail drawings are not available easily, particularly things like flood injectors.

Paul
Thank you from me too Paul - it's always fascinating to find out what a mystery part is. In the course of modelling them I'm gradually learning more about how stema locos actually work!

And that B2 is looking excellent!
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

john coffin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:46 pm
Since my TUIT box has plans for etched kits for many Stirling locos, I have most Stirling
passenger tender loco GA's it is something that is already on the computer.

Paul
Very interested to read this Paul. I was thinking just the other day how few kits there are of early (19th century) locos, compared to more recent ones and while I completely understand the commercial imperatives that lead to prototype choices with a (hopefully) higher sales potential, it's still a pity as so many earlier machines are so interesting and attractive.
I hope some of the ones in your TUIT box make it to market :)
Chas
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Chas, quite pleased with it myself, although, I have to make and fit the reversing leaver. Opps.

The J5 is progressing, chassis soldered, runningplate, cut out & boiler cut out.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5676.JPG
DSCF5677.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J5

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

The grass has been growing rapidly under my feet. only a few bits done in the last couple of months, the J5's body has been glued together, and that's about it, the B1 with the damage ( almost everywhere) has spend a bit of time in the shops, valve gear has been fixed, motor fixed and a fair few 'shorts' un-shorted !! runs fairly well, been repainted into Wartime Black, 'Springbok' will get it's nameplates......one day, not to many on e-bay at the moment.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5708.jpg
DSCF5744.jpg
DSCF5745.jpg
DSCF5746.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A small update on the J5, time is still short supply, so only a small amount of progress, splashers have been made and a couple fitted, front splasher/sandbox is made but not yet fitted, a bit of filler slapped on here and there.

Two LNER Horseboxes are nearing completion, just need couplings and decals.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5747.jpg
DSCF5749.jpg
DSCF5748.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The J5 has now reached the 'Grey' paint stage, mostly finished, only lamp irons and steps to finish on the body.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5750.jpg
DSCF5752.jpg
DSCF5751.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Well the body of the J5 is virtually finished, and the chassis is the next job, but only the pick ups to fit and then the tender, but we'll get to that later.

Another loco has been started, This time a Robinson B8, I've been pondering how to build this one for a while, RTR chassis are useful, and this one will have one to after measuring many RTR loco's it came down to one worthy chassis, the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn R1 chassis, it's only one mm out, bigger wheels have to be fitted, and body will be one of the GBL D11's heavily modified, the body was dismantled and the footplate was cut in half just in front of the splashers, some plastic card was the cut to the width of the widened runningplate, this was then glued to the front part of the D11's runningplate, which is where we are at the moment. (the pics will explain)

manna
Attachments
DSCF5760.jpg
DSCF5763.jpg
DSCF5761.jpg
DSCF5762.jpg
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:57 am ...RTR chassis are useful, and this one will have one to after measuring many RTR loco's it came down to one worthy chassis, the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn R1 chassis, it's only one mm out...
Who'd a thunk it, good approximation to the B8 coupled wheelbase, from it's bizarre choice of spacings. I have had just such a chassis block lurking in the random parts bin 'forever'; totally useless to me, I will post it for free within UK to anyone wanting to put it to use.