Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. Beeching cuts.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Chas, not doing any modelling at the moment, I've some of my modelling gear in the caravan, but this silly old fool left all his plans at home when he went on the road, so nothing got done, all the plans are buried under a large pile of boxes, that's going to be fun trying to dig them out. At the moment I'm concentrating on collecting pictures and information on my next layout.

Both my parents are well, I spend at least 3/4 days a week staying with them, it gives me a chance to run them around (Doctors/chemist/dentist/shopping) At least I have the qualifications to look after them.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Glad you're keeping busy and positive :)
Chas
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sitting still at the moment, so I've set up the modelling table in the canvas annex, OK in the warmer weather, but not so go in the colder months, been very cold here in SA, we even had SNOW last week.

I have acquired, 7 Kirk coaches through Andrew (Woodcock 29), and two loco kits, again through Andrew, these had to be sent from the Eastern States (NSW) and then posted on to me.

I've started on the coaches a end vestibule all second, it was minus a floor, so one was made and the interior corridor sides, a Brake corridor composite, is also on the workbench, along with a Buffet coach started last year, work stopped because of the weather.

The two loco kits are both SE Finecast, a body only N7. I have spare Hornby chassis available, the second kit is a W1, including a etched chassis, I expected to build a W1, so I've been buying Hornby spares ( A1/3/4) for over a year, wheels valvegear etc. Having a couple of bare LNER Pacific chassis in the bits box, I'll probably go along the Hornby chassis route, leaving the etch SEF chassis for another day (I have many A4 bodies crying out for chassis)

manna
Attachments
DSCF6413.jpg
DSCF6417.jpg
Workbench.JPG
DSCF6388.JPG
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Glad I was able to source some kits for you to be getting on with Terry.
Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hi Andrew

You probably don't know how grateful I am to get back into modelling, for me it's so relaxing.

manna
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

manna wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:42 am Hi Andrew

You probably don't know how grateful I am to get back into modelling, for me it's so relaxing.

manna
It's the same for me, currently re-building our home so in a rental, it's comfy but not quite enough room to set a bench up full time. Hopefully I'll be able to do something over xmas when I have a few days off. I miss it as it helps me unwind.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hi Dave S

Everyone is different in how to unwind, something as small as making a pair of Gresley bogies, takes concentration, and leaves the World behind................. :wink:

manna
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Absolutely! I find it's a great help to do even a few minutes, but every day, even when it's a tiny, insignificant little job. It makes you feel the project is progressing.
Sometimes, I just nip in and look at what I'm going to do next time I have a decent hour or two and get out the tools or materials I'll be using and put them somewhere sensible on the bench, so I won't have to use work time locating them at the start of the next session!
Chas
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. What next.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

As the headline says, What next..........! Well, a conversion of a Tri-ang horsebox into a GN CCT, didn't come out to bad, but a Lima horsebox is even closer, I'll try one of those next time.

To ease myself in to loco building again, I'm banging on with a J3 again, but on a slightly different track, the 1081 series of locos have a deeper valance on the runningplate, so I'm using the runningplate on the R1 and the front splashers. The pics show the storyline.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6439.JPG
DSCF6444.JPG
DSCF6445.jpg
DSCF6446.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Happy New Year everyone, railways played a minor part over the festive season, and now that it's over, we can get on with more important stuff ! :lol: :lol:

I've received a couple of parcels from the UK, one with bits that I've bought, a J52, a 'Shorty' Gresley coach, that I would like to backdate to a GN design, a couple more Triang horse boxes, which I intend to ruin, in my search for CCT's.

The second parcel contained a Bachmann K3, one of the older ones, with a bad paint job, this loco is now in the process of being converted into 4007, complete with a GN cab and tender, both of which it kept until the 1939/40 period. the cab has been attacked first, it was a bit difficult to remove as it was gummed up with paint!
The tender, which has been put aside for the moment, is partly black and partly green (of the G*R type) a new GN tender will be built over the next few days.

A cab for the J3 is now almost complete.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6464.JPG
DSCF6465.JPG
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Terry,
What a great job you did on the GNR CCT van.
I really like that.
I would be very interested in how you did it, because I have both the Triang and the Lima horsebox as a starter.
Did you use a diagram, photo or plan from a particular source?

Were these CCT vans used for horse carriages and carts, and I guess by the 1920s motor cars as well?

regards
Kimball
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hi Kimball

I did follow a plan, 'Historic Carriage Drawings', if you have a Lima horsebox, use that it's a lot closer.

Yes they would have been used for early motor cars, they weren't that reliable in the early years, the CCT wagons may well have lasted until WW2, would have been 40-45 years old by then.

manna
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Happy New Year Terry - nice job on that cab!
Chas
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Terry
Thanks for that.
I will chase down a copy of that book.

Happy New Year.
Regards
Kimball
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Modelling has been stopped for the last couple of weeks, as I've been upgrading the Electrics on the caravan, New Solar panels, control panels, chargers and Lithium batteries, which cost the equivalent of half a dozen Hornby loco's, but at least I'm self sufficient.

A Hornby LNER Pacific has had all it 'Bits' restored to make it a runner for the W1.

A couple of GN tenders are under construction, one each for the K3 and J3.

The edging for the cab of the K3 has been finished..........at last.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6472.JPG
DSCF6477.JPG
DSCF6469.JPG