Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN + my workbench for dummies

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Things are still happening at Edgware, in the goods yard I've filled in the ground between the tracks with 3 mm MDF, to level it all up, also with the MDF I've created the slope from the Goods yard to the station forecourt, or the other way round if you prefer, after a little more work on the loading dock and the upcoming goods shed it will be time to ballast almost everything.

'Manna's' still an ongoing project, Manna is now numbered and the body has now acquired a film of dirt and grime. The tender has been sprayed in undercoat, but, Who! forgot to fill in the lining groove in the tender first !! Now you know why it's a workbench for dummies, it's ME !!

manna
Attachments
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG
station forcourt.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'm taking a short rest from 'Manna' awaiting the plates, but things are still happening, a Bachmann 'Cravans' unit has arrived to help the N2's out with the morning and evening rushes, something that 'would' have happened if Edgware had it stayed open long enough,I wonder how they would have coped with the hills of the 'Northern Heights'?

Now on to the new project, Edgware requires a large goods shed, but there is nothing like it on the aftermarket, all small country station types, but I bought a old Hornby goods shed off of E-Bay for a fiver and then spent another six quid getting it over here, as soon as it arrived I sat it roughly were it was to go, and did it look wrong. Like most layouts mine has been compressed to get everything in, but the new goods shed was far to small, I had already made up my mind that it would need extending, and so out came the saw !!!!!!!

manna
Attachments
A scene that could have happened
A scene that could have happened
The sides were extended by 94mm, only one window was needed as the middle one was covered by advertising, actually there are no windows on the platform side and are brick faced.
The sides were extended by 94mm, only one window was needed as the middle one was covered by advertising, actually there are no windows on the platform side and are brick faced.
The loading bay side was also extended and a wall built between to make a double loading bay.
The loading bay side was also extended and a wall built between to make a double loading bay.
The ends have had the openings 'squared' and all walls have been covered in embossed plastic, it's also sitting , roughly in it's correct position, although I will have to inset it into the platform.
The ends have had the openings 'squared' and all walls have been covered in embossed plastic, it's also sitting , roughly in it's correct position, although I will have to inset it into the platform.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Back with another update, and seeing that I'm on holiday at the moment, things are starting to get done.

Manna's plates have arrived and I put them safely away at the back of my workbench, next day went to get them out---GONE but I knew I put them there, but it is a bit of a dark area so out came a large light (black work top) and there was one plate !! out of the packet, poking the light under the layout I could just make out the shape of Manna's plate right at the back of the layout, amongst some bits of plastic.......all chewed up, I think a mouse has taken a fancy to the plastic and the plates (we've had a cool wet summer, so we now have a mouse plague, I caught seven mice in my shed on Sunday) so I've set a trap on my workbench, but I still haven't fixed Manna's plates yet :oops:

I've been working on the goods shed which is coming on very well, only the platform inside, roof and slates and a few other bits to do, although that will keep me busy for a while.

manna

PS, has any one got a good shot of the inside of a GN goods shed ??
Attachments
Awning fitted and roughly painted so you can see it
Awning fitted and roughly painted so you can see it
The goods shed office takes shape.
The goods shed office takes shape.
Minus the roof
Minus the roof
With all the roof slates fitted
With all the roof slates fitted
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents
A few more bits and pieces finished off, 'Manna' now has her plates and the tender has been painted to match to the loco, talk about travel stained !

The goods shed is coming on apace, the office is almost finished, just gutters and downpipes, but that can wait for the moment , I've built a platform inside, still not sure what the 'decking is/was, I've painted it brown for now, but I have a feeling that it should be wood planking, a small hand crane has also been built to go inside, all works up/down, round and round, don't why I bothered you won't see it with the roof on !! :?

Started to cut roof slates, probably need about a thousand, oh my aching hands !!!!

manna
Attachments
A3#20.JPG
A3#21.JPG
crane 2.JPG
crane 6.JPG
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Hi manna

With regards to your goods shed.

I have three pictures of the GNR Goods Shed at Hatfield, taken in 1969. Can not post them as the copyright is with the HMRS. They show the ends of the internal loading platform, which has a brick front with a coping stone along the front edge painted white.

At one end, the same in your model, is a flight of open wooden steps going from track level straight back, at 90 degrees to the track, up to loading platform level. There also seems to be some kind of wooden partition, painted white, up to gable height with the last couple of feet an open mesh, the partition seems to start about a foot in from the platform edge.

So I would say that the platform is of solid construction with a set of wooden steps at one end leading up to some kind of Partitioned room/office.

I hope this has been of some help.

Regards

Richard
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thanks for that Mossie, wasn't to far out with the steps just need to turn them 90 degrees, not to difficult, I'll move the crane to the other end of the shed so I can put in the partition, I wonder if that is the secure area !!

Thanks again.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Just a few pics today, just pottering about tidying up a few projects,
Attachments
Manna 3.JPG
Manna 4.JPG
The U&W Drewry needs to be weathered yet
The U&W Drewry needs to be weathered yet
Far to shiny, this ones for my son, mine will be black
Far to shiny, this ones for my son, mine will be black
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Just a quick update, at last I've fitted the last roof tile :D two thousand of the little beggars, give or take a couple, I've just popped it onto the goods shed to take a quick photo, I still have to fit the chimney at the office end, but that should,'t take to long.

Also at the moment I am plaster boarding the main part of the shed, hopefully it'll keep it a bit warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

manna
Attachments
Roof tiles finished 1.JPG
Roof tiles finished 2.JPG
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Looking good, cobber! I particularly like your "signature" engine! The weathering looks good - it really brings it to life.

Keep up the good work!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Be side's feeling like s***, with a cold, the up side is I've had to have a couple of days off sick, so to take my mind off feeling like ? I've cracked on with Edgware's goods shed, The chimney has been added, which has made a big difference in the overall look, what has surprised me is the size of the (almost) finished shed, there are a few more bits to do, gutters, downpipes etc.Piccy time!

All comments accepted with a smile :twisted:

manna
Attachments
PGS 1.JPG
PGS 3.JPG
PGS 4.JPG
PGS 5.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very neat by the look of it, and so "Great Northern" with that combination of architecture and yellow brick. I've never seen the actual building, but the model looks a good 'un to me :D .
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

G'Day Atlantic, funnily enough I've never seen the goods shed at Edgware either, except in three photo's, none of which are very good, one gives an end view, (as below ) the other gives a view of the side wall (platform side) and the other is a view from the air (also below), but least it looks 'Great Northern'

manna
Attachments
Gives you an overall size of the building
Gives you an overall size of the building
End on view + chimney and office, also gives a change of color of the brick work
End on view + chimney and office, also gives a change of color of the brick work
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thought I'd take the goods shed outside to the layout and see how it looks in it's rightful place. As you can see there are still bits to do, but that will have to wait until I go the Adelaide again, need some thick plastic to make the gutters.

I made one small Boo, Boo, after I'd made the roof, I fitted it to the bodyshell, it didn't fit ! :oops: with the thickness's of plastic I'd fitted to the outside of the shed I'd made it wider than the roof, so I had to dismantle the body and take 2mm off each side !! now the dock inside is to big, :shock: ' workbench for Dummies'--------'present' !! :D

manna
Attachments
J52 shunts in the goods shed.JPG
L1 and the new goods shed.JPG
New goods shed.JPG
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Looking very good, Manna.

I never knew it was possible to get a cold in Oz - an unwelcome import, perhaps? :wink:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Not a lot to tell, having got over my cold it was on to bigger things, I've been working in the big shed, managed to pick up five large fitted wardrobes from the refurbishment at work and some new carpet (off cuts) I've managed to redo the whole shed, and made it a lot tidier, the old carpet will now be relaid into the railway room, so not a lot has happened at Edgware.

But not all is lost, the Dapol Drewry for my son is finished, and is ready to be posted off to the UK, and a start has been made on the water tank for Edgware, things 'should' start to speed up a bit now that the shed's finished.

Took a trip to Adelaide the other week and bought the bits I need to finish off the goods shed.

manna
Attachments
Water tank 1.JPG
water tank 2.JPG
D2200 finished.JPG