Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Edgware GN. J6, Revisited.

Post by Pebbles »

Manna may I say how much I admire your work. Now to wheelbases; J1,J2,J5,J6,J50, K2, N1, N2, V1/3, Thompson B1, and B17 all have/had coupled wheelbases of 7ft3 inches x 9ft. In the cases of K3, K4, K5, Thomson K1/1 and Peppercorn K1 these have/had coupled wheelbases of 7ft 6inches x 8ft 9inches. Knowing my luck I've possibly missed a class out!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

Hi Pebbles, Thank you for the nice comment, I try to make the impossible possible, Hornby have a lot to be responsible for, for a lot of my creations rely on Hornby products, some have the correct wheelbase some are a mill or two out, Atlantic did that with his J2, having a spare K3 chassis, it's a mill out, the chassis I'm using is spot on for use on a J2, I might even buy another chassis for a J2, I haven't got one of those, I'm sure the chassis would accept 5'8" wheels without any problems, I have a spare pair set.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I've been out to the shed, and made up the other chassis, all soldered up and fitted with 5'8" wheels, you'll see in the pics there's quite a difference in size, because these are push fit wheels, I'm going to leave them on the chassis and build another J1, J2's were to rare for the London area, I've also bought another chassis off of Dave S, that will become the J5.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4825.JPG
DSCF4822.JPG
DSCF4827.JPG
DSCF4828.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If it helps, I was well aware of the wheelbase discrepancy for the K3/K5, and K4 / K1 families as compared to the otherwise "Doncaster standard", but a difference of only 1mm in the position of the middle axle can usualy be catered for in a 4mm scale model without losing the generally correct appearance.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've put the 0-6-0's on the backburner for the moment, I want to clear a few three quarter finished loco's, The Ivatt Atlantic has been dragged out. New cylinders have been made and fitted, and with a bit of fiddling I now have a smooth quiet loco, six coaches have been hooked up behind a heavy whitemetal tender (might make a new lighter one) away it went, pleased with that. I've now taken it apart for chassis painting. B1's getting it's chassis painted to.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4834.JPG
DSCF4835.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. C1, Revisited.

Post by Dave »

The atlantic is looking very good, I wish I could build locos like you do.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thank you, I wish I could build coaches like you, maybe one day, if I live to be a 100.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

After the Atlantic was finished ? I went back to the J6, I've finished off chassis, complete with the motor being 'Hot Glued' in, it now runs very quietly and is quite fast, (Hornby gears) I had running with six coaches and a horse box, a bit more lead was needed, painted up the wheels and touched up bits around the loco, but needs weathering and the cab finishing.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4857.JPG
DSCF4856.JPG
DSCF4866.JPG
DSCF4866.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Busy and interesting, decided to build a loco shed where the allotments are in real life, my reasoning being that I've made it into a Junction, and gives me somewhere to store all my loco's (that's still increasing). I managed to pick up a double slip for $20, that's been incorporated in the goods yard, which also gives me a bigger headshunt.

On another track, so to speak, the loco masquerading as a J5 for the last 15 years, has been withdrawn from service, it's now being converted into a J4 (1081 series), new chimney/dome and cab, and the boiler has been shortened and lowered, it's getting there.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4975.JPG
DSCF4970.JPG
DSCF4976.JPG
DSCF4972.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Looking good Manna.
Did you make the snowplough?, if so I've missed you building it.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Hi Dave. I built it about five years ago for my 'Mill Hill' snow layout, only took me 24 hours, as I had put the wrong sized wheels on a GN tender 14mm instead of 16mm, it's half Hornby wagon body, I don't think I put anything up about it. :?

manna
Attachments
DSCF4974.JPG
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

manna wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 am G'day Gents

Hi Dave. I built it about five years ago for my 'Mill Hill' snow layout, only took me 24 hours, as I had put the wrong sized wheels on a GN tender 14mm instead of 16mm, it's half Hornby wagon body, I don't think I put anything up about it. :?

manna
Do you mind if I ask if you had any particular prototype in mind?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I did kinda have a prototype in mind but it is a bit freelance, One of the guys on here owns a snowplough, is it Bryan? It's a North Eastern built one, I think it's kept either at Shildon or NYMR, Haven't seen him for a while.

manna
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Of the 25 NER independent Snowploughs, I think there are three surviving.
There were 21 wooden ones, of which No.12 is in Locomotion at Shildon .....here....
No.18 is at Kirkby Stephen
There were also four steel ones, and my model is ...here....

I don't think the GN had anything as elaborate, largely using ploughs hung on the front of an engine.

One of the ex-NER ones was rebuilt with a steel prow sometime in the 30/40s - and yours looks a little like that!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Manna.

Yes Brian does have a snowplough number 18, it was at Pickering on the NYMR last time I saw it, but I belive it's moved to Kirby Stephen.