Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Back to the N1

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

On the homeward stretch now with N1, New condensing gear was built (N2 type, not N1, rebuild coming up !) the dome and chimney weren't right so off they came, a new brass dome was fitted, the chimney was donated by Woodcock 29 (thank you Andrew) I had to cut the chimney down 2mm, now it looks right :wink: the N1 has been painted an decals stuck on but they look C*#%, so they'll be replaced, she's not had the lead fitted yet, but eight coaches hasn't stopped her.

manna
Attachments
DSCF1583.jpg
DSCF1584.jpg
DSCF1585.jpg
DSCF1586.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think you're right about the letters, but the numbers are too small as well. If you Google, there are a couple of pictures come up which will show you what I mean.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Definitely looks a convincing N1, so a highly successful chopping and shaping exercise.

Do you have final picture of the chassis and associated weight block(s) to show how much was ultimately ground off in order to accommodate the altered body?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Johnathon, I'll have another go at the letters and numbers today.

Graeme, here's the pics of the chassis and weights, there is also a rolled up piece of lead for the boiler, with the N2 weight, I just kept cutting bits off of it until it fitted, probably 30 trips to the workshop, (20mtrs) no wonder my foot aches :lol:
The chassis has been shortened, (front) to fit under the shortened body

Another job I've been doing is 'Teaking' half a dozen old Hornby Gresley coaches, they may not be the Bee's Knee's, but they do match the Kirks coaches. (more on that later).

manna
Attachments
DSCF1587.jpg
DSCF1588.jpg
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

I hope I have attached part of Doncaster drawing Q95 Painting and lettering for 0-6-2T locos. I don't own a copy of the drawing but this picture is one of 4 posted on ebay during the sale of the print at a very high price.

Hope its of help,

Steve
Attachments
Doncaster Q95
Doncaster Q95
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Cor, thank you Steve, that's going to come in very handy.

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ta for the chassis pictures.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Sent you an email.

Nice loco.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Pretty quiet in this part of the woods, on my third bout of flu this year !! and a backache to boot, I'm not really in the mood to be building much, although I'm making slow progress with a Dapol Deltic and Hornby chassis, should have it ready for painting by next Christmas.

I've been finishing off some old projects that got to 90%, then put into service, so the N1 and Q1 now have there numbers, a couple of Kirk coaches have been 'Teaked' and a rake of older Hornby coaches have also been teaked.

I would like to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

manna
Attachments
DSCF1617.jpg
DSCF1619.jpg
DSCF1624.jpg
DSCF1625.jpg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Looking good Manna

Hope we get some relief from the heat again soon - but it would be hotter where your are!

Have a Great Christmas and Happy Modelling in the New Year.

Look forward to catching up again.

Woodcock29
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

manna wrote:G'day Gents

I would like to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

manna
Season's greetings to Mr and Mrs Manna too!

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

It's going to be a wild Christmas Day, here in Boobs, 100F,(38-39c) cloudy ,very strong winds, and then a cool change this afternoon/evening, so it's a Bar-B-Que for us today, but a cook outside -eat inside type of Christmas Lunch, but we'll enjoy it.

Hope everyone has a good Christmas day, & go easy on the shunting :lol:

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, General update, seasons greetings

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New year, so it's a case of new year, new project, this ones been in my head for a while now, a D3, out of a GWR (spit) County class (tender drive) not everyone's cup of tea, but I only drink coffee :lol: the coupled wheelbase is only 1mm out, so close enough.

There is very little to do on the chassis, I removed the pistons and piston rods and you'll have to replace the long shouldered screws that are used, I also ground down the Mazak extension in front of the leading driving wheels, app 1.5 mm, which allows the running plate to sit right. A new front bogie will be needed, and old B12 or A3 one seems to fit the bill.

Here's a couple of pics to show 2 days progress, still a long way to go. Another County has been purchased for another conversion to a E1

manna
Attachments
DSCF1646.jpg
DSCF1647.jpg
DSCF1648.jpg
DSCF1649.jpg
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Time for a D3

Post by strang steel »

D3 looks good so far.

Have just been catching up with this thread. Belated Happy New Year to you.

How do you cope with temperatures of 39C on Christmas Day? To me, it just seems wrong. The teaked Kirk coaches look excellent as well.

Hope the flu cleared up quickly.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Time for a D3

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

hi SS, Hot Christmas is something you get used to, I prefer them now, to the cold, we can sit around outside, we have a couple of large Almond trees which we can sit under, few drinks, a nice Bar-B-Que, salads, etc.

Wasn't to bad over Christmas, but I had a very persistent cough for about two weeks which took me back to the Doctors, almost gone now.

manna