Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Edgware GN. What next.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I thought it was about time that I gave 'Edgware' an airing, It's not a finescale layout and a few liberty's have been taken, but I've tried to keep the the type of loco/stock used over the years and I've kept the branch open to passengers for a lot more years than it was in real life, right up to 1970.

It's still a work in progress, and probably will be for a few years yet :lol:

manna
Attachments
engine J5.JPG
Fiddleyard + extentions.JPG
Layout today July2010.jpg
Layout Oct 2009.jpg
Last edited by manna on Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:05 am, edited 92 times in total.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Edgware GN

Post by M Gair »

Hi Manna,

Looks like a nice plan and layout you have there. I have checked my LNER loco book and that first loco is a J3 060, is it not? It looks nicely constructed I might say.
You have a mix of LNER and BR stock to cover a couple of periods by the look of it, is that the concept? What is the size of the layout?

You are not too far away from Bendigo in Victoria, which is a bit of a change seeing most others are in UK.
Keep up the good work.

My layout is called 'Ponteland' (Pont-eel-and) in Northumberland. My father was born there.
The layout is under construction, are they ever finished. It has a MPD with Turntable and Coal Tower and will have an engine shed. 15' (4.5m) x 8' (2.4m). 3 circuits
regards
Mark
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I do have a J3, a K's one but still under construction, the one in the pic is a J5, most of them spent most of there lives at Colwick, but one was allocated to Hitchin in the early 50's, so it's not unreasonable to think that it worked up the branch to Edgware on a coal train, that is also the way I'm thinking on the rest of the loco's, if they worked or there was a chance they worked on the branch they'll be included, ie N2, N1, J1--J6 etc. And around KX in general

The mix of loco's and stock is as you've gathered is a period change, 20-30's then 50-60's so there are a few diesels that will drift in at the end of the 60's.

Edgware was a dead end station, so the line going off to the right is pure fiction, it go'es to London Colney??? or in reality to the fiddle yard and gives me a curcuit, as you can see from the plan, there was a loco shed at Edgware but it was blown over in a storm in the 1880's and never rebuilt but on my layout it was rebuilt by messers Airfix & Co, I don't think any photo's are know of this shed so it will have to do! I am fairly luck as there are only a few building, Station building, Goods shed and a large 'black factory' in the background.

Train service's consisted of 26 trains a day, mostly shuttles to Finchley, but there were a couple a day that started at KX, or terminated at KX, there is also a possiblity that North London trains worked through to Edgware from Broad St, hence my intrest in the 'Jinties' and there time frame, ( one's been order! just in case???) I've also streched the bounds a little, by allowing GE loco/trains on at weekends to haul specials to Southend-on-Sea (B17 and blood and custard coaches) Goods traffic 5 trains a day, coal and building supplies, 14 wagons max, my longest siding will take that so full lenght goods trains are the norm :lol:

The models--- The J5, to go back a bit, is made out of a bike pump, and plastic card and sits on a Hornby-Dublo R1 chassi the wheelbase is pretty close, the tender is borrowed from the J3.
The J3 a sorry kit, if ever there was one, wobbly wheels and a motor that will just about pull itself along!!
All up there are about 30 loco's, mostly GN/LNER/BR that were used in the area, including Gresley, A1's A3's A4's V2's B17's and a K3 there's also a Peppercorn A2 (Trix body on a Brit chassi) plus the usual N2's J50's and J52's the rest you'll see in time.
Picy time, manna
Attachments
long time visitor to Hitchin
long time visitor to Hitchin
Never reached Edgware, but comes out at night??
Never reached Edgware, but comes out at night??
Needs renumbering, a H-Dublo model and condensing gear
Needs renumbering, a H-Dublo model and condensing gear
Airfix loco noisy but nice
Airfix loco noisy but nice
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry I forgot to answer all of Marks questions, The layout is 13' long and 8' wide, which makes some of the curves a bit tight, but both the 8 coupled go round them with no problems the 01 (later 03) all wheels flanged, and if I go down to Bendigo I will be PM,ing you Mark :D
The bridge over the LT (Northern line) has been replaced with a bridge of the right size, but still needs finishing and painting, the platforms have been painted, the colour, which was suppose to be grey, (tarmac) came out a bit blueish!! I've also put out lorries, buses and platform furniture to see what it looks like, what do you think?
Living where I live and the lack of imformation on the net, means there is a bit of guesswork involved, ie signals, I think that the branch was worked under the 'one engine in steam' there being only a ground frame at Edgware, to get into the yard, once the goods train was in the yard and the ground frame locked then a passenger train could be sent from Finchley, so another bit of fiction is the signal box!
manna
Attachments
Edgware & $MT.JPG
new bridge 1.JPG
LNER J5.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Another up date for you, not a lot happening at the moment, back dating a Class 46 diesel to green from a bit of an abortion in blue! no headcode,windows or bufferbeam, only had it 20 years!! Bit of a locofest for you today----

manna
Attachments
B17 enters Edgware yard.JPG
BR B17 drifts into Edgware yard.JPG
K3 leaving the yard.JPG
V2 crossing the LT Northern lone.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Things are still happening at Edgware, but slowly, the three arch bridge over 'Deans Brook' has been faced with brick embossed plasticard and is now being painted, the bridge over the Northern Line, has'nt yet been painted but thr retaining walls have been embossed and painted, I found that I had built the the Northern line bridge at Mainline height Doah!! so I've lited the track up a couple of scale feet, looks a bit more 'tube' like now.
'MODEL RAIL' for September arrived two weeks ago with a aerial shot of Edgware taken in 1926,showing the goods yard packed to the max with wagons, which really made my day :lol:
I knew there was a aerial photo of Edgware but could'nt find it, but it also meant that I've had to pull up most of the trackwork around the station/goods yard, it also answered a few questions to why some things did'nt seem to right :? the platform has also been extended to 1.7 meters and actually joins up with the Goods shed, I also know now where the cattle and end loading dock will now go.
Attachments
revised Edgware.JPG
revised Edgware 2.JPG
I'M hoping the GN sign is in the right colours
I'M hoping the GN sign is in the right colours
Jinty joins the fleet.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Must be time for another update, I've been busy on the scenery around Deans bridge, now that I've finished painting it, I've spent a fair bit of time plastering all the embankments, fields and cutting and even rubbing down to get a smooth finish :roll: and today the 'Teddy bear fur' was finished on the embankments and the cutting, but only to the fence line, it's a bit darker than I wanted, so it looks like I'll have fun trying to make it look like late summer grass.

The platform face has been covered in embossed brick plasticard and some sand bins made to go behind the platform, been rather hot as of late, up to 42c in the shade so I haven't been in the shed much, now for a few pics.
Attachments
long grass3.jpg
long grass 2.jpg
See what happens to candles in 42c
See what happens to candles in 42c
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Hi Manna!

I like the look of this layout. Such layouts are increasingly rare in the UK now that houses are generally so small. Nearly everyone I know builds 'shelf layouts'. I suppose you must have a bit more space to spread out in Oz. Don't envy you working in those conditions though!

Will
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G"Day Gents

Ahh the illusion of space ! my layouts only 13'x8', I built a lean to onto the side of a 20'x20' workshop/shed, but I have squeezed a quart into a pint pot and if I'd made it 6" wider I could have got that extra siding in, don't we all say that though!!

I've included a couple of photo's to give you a better idea how small it really is, my back is touching the Deans Brook bridge board (2' wide).

It did cross my mind to build a ride on railway, as we have a half acre block of land and it would have fitted in easily, the other thought that I had was an outside 'OO' layout, but how would it cope with the heat!! would I be forever re railing locos that had derailed because of the track buckling, it happens in real life, quite common over here, but usually in sidings.

manna
Attachments
Edgware 2.jpg
Edgware 3.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

After playing around with plaster and teddy bear fur for the last month or two and to get rid of the fur balls? I thought I'd have a play with a brass smoke deflector kit I bought about 25 years ago (it's dated 1980) it's for a 'Brit or 9F, well I got the Brit secondhand in 1990, so it is about time I got stuck in (almost a bucket list job) and seeing that I've never done much soldering (only the odd wire) I though this would be a test of skill, it went together well, considering that I had to solder 7 other bits to it in the area of the size of a small postage stamp, I'm quite happy with the result, I still have to affix the nameplates and smokebox numberplate.

manna
Attachments
Alfrd the Great 6.JPG
Alfred the Great 2.JPG
Alfred the Great 9.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thought I'd better show some pics of Alfred the Great painted, hasn't come out to bad but I think the nameplate a bit cock eyed, just bought some new glasses to, think they'll have to go back. I'll have to keep a look out for some 9F valve gear as well.

Alfred will be for use on the weekend excursions to 'Skeggy and Sarfend' in the BR period, think I'll have to do something a little more LNER next.

Hornbys new L1 has arrived down under, (via Hattons) after taking off VAT and adding postage a bargain at 65 quid :D

manna
Attachments
Alfred, almost!.JPG
Plus the new platform sign
Plus the new platform sign
Steam over Diesel!,677772 gets ready to haul a broken down diesel back to KX
Steam over Diesel!,677772 gets ready to haul a broken down diesel back to KX
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN + my workbench for dummies

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thought I'd try another loco, this time a N2 ! A long time ago in a galaxy called Harrogate, there was a swopmeet, where I picked up a Dublo N2 body for a quid, and at another meet I picked up a Airfix 2-6-2 chassis with the thought that I might be able to fit it under a Wills K3, years later, Bachmann, bought out a K3 as we all know, so now I was left with a chassis and a body, slowly a tiny little thought came into this thick skull of mine....... I wonder, I held the N2 body to the GWR chassis, it looked as if it would fit, and with not to much work.

First thing to do was get down on my knees and pray forgiveness to all things sacred at Doncaster and what Gresley did for the human race, as this would only bear a passing resemblance to a Doncaster product, then I blessed the hacksaw and took of the front of the said 2-6-2 chassis and the weights tucked alongside the motor, I snipped off the piston rods, when I took off the frond end, at least the chassis now looked like a 0-6-2.

Now it was time to try the body on the chassis, if anyone is dumb enough to try this, you will find the bunker of the N2 is now sticking up in the air, and looking very odd :shock: so now it's time to take a bit of metal off the back end of the chassis to get it to fit, if you look inside the N2 body you will find a couple of of bits of metal sticking out, these are the bits that will be resting on the chassis (see picture) Now I took an Angle Grinder :shock: to the chassis to take make a groove along the back end, you have to cut this bit down a bit to get the body to sit level.I finished it off with a file.

You will also have to take bit of metal off of the sides to get it to fit nice and tight. I managed to use the small hole in front of the boiler to fix the body to the chassis, it also fixes the coupling on too. This is not a scale model of a N2, but it looks a little like one, I've numbered this N2 after a Hitchin allocated loco. Please feel free to condemn me for what I have done, but if you wish to put my head on a spike on London Bridge......... You'll have to catch me first :D
Attachments
front end.JPG
back end.JPG
complete chassis.JPG
69515.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I ask a little while ago about the A3 pacific 'Manna', and came up with the idea of recreating 'Manna' in post war black, it's taken a while to get round to it, so this weekend, it was out with the brake fluid, and off with the old paint, which has been on my old 'Grand Parade' since app 1980? it cleaned the loco very well, leaving a nice finish, the hardest bit to remove was the lining, after she was washed in warm water it was time for a spray with grey undercoat, I then put the loco out in the warm 'Aussie sun for a few hours to dry (25c) then it was time for a coat of 'black'.

The tenders treatment was slightly different, all the paint was removed, scrubbed and then went to my workbench, time to remove the corridor off the back. I very carefully ground, cut and scrapped off all the plastic off the back of the tender, leaving only the steps and lamp brackets in place, the beading was also carefully avoided, there are a few small marks that will need filling along with the porthole window, but that's a job for tomorrow, sorry there's no picture of the tender the darn camera batteries died, as usual just before I finished.

manna
Attachments
manna in green.JPG
manna in grey 1.JPG
manna in grey 2.JPG
manna in black.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Time for another update, Monday evening, it was time to fill in the small dimples in the back of the tender plus the window, then it was out with the paint pots, the wheels and tender chassis were painted Matt black but before they time to dry I mixed in some dark brown to give them a greasy-oily look, plus some orange/brown for the brake blocks, the whole lot was then set aside for 24 hours to dry.

Tuesday, back out to the shed to do the other side of the chassis, the back of the tender was rubbed down and smoothed out, which is were I'm up to.

'Manna's' plates were order over the weekend, so they will be here within the next few weeks, along with some other goodies.

manna
Attachments
manna 2.JPG
manna 4.JPG
manna 6.JPG
Tender 1.JPG
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Looking good, Manna. Keep up the good work.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!