Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J5

Post by manna »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:13 pm
manna wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:57 am ...RTR chassis are useful, and this one will have one to after measuring many RTR loco's it came down to one worthy chassis, the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn R1 chassis, it's only one mm out...
Who'd a thunk it, good approximation to the B8 coupled wheelbase, from it's bizarre choice of spacings. I have had just such a chassis block lurking in the random parts bin 'forever'; totally useless to me, I will post it for free within UK to anyone wanting to put it to use.
G'Day Gents

That's a nice thought Hatfield Shed. :D

I'm working on a 'Bare' R1 chassis, I've bought a R1 off of E-Bay, when it arrives in Oz, it'll be donating the motor and gears to the B8.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 pm...I'm working on a 'Bare' R1 chassis, I've bought a R1 off of E-Bay, when it arrives in Oz, it'll be donating the motor and gears to the B8...
The motor will probably require remagnetising at the very least. I had a Wrenn specimen from a friend to look at some years ago which had 'gone off' and even remagnetised it's torque was pretty poor, just about adequate to power a small Southern 0-6-0 which only had to move three wagons at a time. A modern multistage gearbox and can motor combination will probably be better for your 4-6-0.

Having my interest roused by the B8's peculiar wheelbase I had more of a look at the Robinsonian line in 4-6-0s. Did this man put his name to more different 4-6-0 designs than the sum of the output of any two other British loco designers? (I haven't gone as far as doing any supporting arithmetic.) What were his locomotive committee thinking? It looks like a random attack on 'the problem' by fiddling around with dimensions. And there seems to be evidence that the most successful design, 8N - LNER B6 - was superseded by what became LNER B7 without a proper trial. If all this is true it reflects poorly on the Gorton design team under Robinson.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:18 am
manna wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 pm...I'm working on a 'Bare' R1 chassis, I've bought a R1 off of E-Bay, when it arrives in Oz, it'll be donating the motor and gears to the B8...
The motor will probably require remagnetising at the very least. I had a Wrenn specimen from a friend to look at some years ago which had 'gone off' and even remagnetised it's torque was pretty poor, just about adequate to power a small Southern 0-6-0 which only had to move three wagons at a time. A modern multistage gearbox and can motor combination will probably be better for your 4-6-0.

Having my interest roused by the B8's peculiar wheelbase I had more of a look at the Robinsonian line in 4-6-0s. Did this man put his name to more different 4-6-0 designs than the sum of the output of any two other British loco designers? (I haven't gone as far as doing any supporting arithmetic.) What were his locomotive committee thinking? It looks like a random attack on 'the problem' by fiddling around with dimensions. And there seems to be evidence that the most successful design, 8N - LNER B6 - was superseded by what became LNER B7 without a proper trial. If all this is true it reflects poorly on the Gorton design team under Robinson.
G'Day Gents

I hadn't thought about the magnetism, I have a friend over in East Anglia, that can do that for me before my boy sends it over to Oz,

The last J4 I built had a R1 chassis, I had it hauling 28 wagons around my layout, most of my R1 powered J3's and 4's will haul at least 20 wagons, 14 wagons, was the legal limit on the Edgware branch.

I will agree Robinson, surely liked his 4-6-0's, didn't get any right, but he did like them.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. B8 4-6-0 started

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Most of the major parts are now on the workbench, so we'll start to reassemble, the boiler has been cut to 70mm and glued to the smokebox.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5767.jpg
DSCF5769.jpg
DSCF5770.jpg
DSCF5771.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The B8 is coming together, most of the body is now complete, clean up, not withstanding, tender chassis will be finished today, next job will be to fit the motor, which I've borrowed from a K's J50, I would like to fit a etched chassis to the J50.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5776.jpg
DSCF5774.jpg
DSCF5778.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Most of the parts from another R1 have now been swopped over, including the gears, nothing working at the moment, maybe to-day !

Engine body and tender have had a coat of statin black. I've runout of matt black, with no chance of replacement due to lockdown.

Progress so far. Manna.
Attachments
DSCF5793.jpg
DSCF5794.jpg
DSCF5795.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Decided on a quiet day to-day.........Lining and numbering, two and a half hours later...... :D

manna
Attachments
DSCF5799.jpg
DSCF5800.jpg
DSCF5801.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. Another C1

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A small update on the latest C1, the cylinders have been enlarged and the footplate has been cut back to just before the enlarged cylinders, I've 'Plonked some of the body parts on the chassis to give you an idea how it'll all fit together, the boiler has to go lower.
Two pics of the C1, one in normal light and another with the 'Flash'.

Also a pic of a Dapol 10' wagon chassis, would anyone know if there's a GN wagon, or early LNER with this wheelbase, wagons are not my strongpoint.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5814.jpg
DSCF5816.jpg
DSCF5817.jpg
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I'd recognise that front bogie anywhere....have you turned a silver A4 into a stramlined N2 ??
A week ago I would have thought you were going about that the hard way, now I'm not so sure. :wink:

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm ... a Dapol 10' wagon chassis, would anyone know if there's a GN wagon, or early LNER with this wheelbase, wagons are not my strongpoint.
Is 1928 early enough? Diagram 94 LNER general merchandise sliding door van, all wood body, steel underframe, 10' wb, unfitted (morton brake); would be a reasonable use for this chassis.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

nzpaul wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:35 am I'd recognise that front bogie anywhere....have you turned a silver A4 into a stramlined N2 ??
A week ago I would have thought you were going about that the hard way, now I'm not so sure. :wink:

Paul
G'Day Paul

No the 'Grey front bogie was to be had for a reasonable price from 'Malta', it matches all the other bits from all over, spent a bit of time today 'Lowering' the boiler, nearly there!
The loco is following in the footsteps of the other C1 I did using a 'Castle' chassis, haven't got a spare, so a B12 chassis will have to d0.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:53 am
manna wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm ... a Dapol 10' wagon chassis, would anyone know if there's a GN wagon, or early LNER with this wheelbase, wagons are not my strongpoint.
Is 1928 early enough? Diagram 94 LNER general merchandise sliding door van, all wood body, steel underframe, 10' wb, unfitted (morton brake); would be a reasonable use for this chassis.
G'Day Hatfield Shed

I've had a look on Google for a Dia,94 van, I didn't find anything, have you a Pic, by any chance.........Pretty Please !

manna
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Think Parkside PC25 body on a Morton chassis, Terry. You might have to alter the door, but there's not a lot of work in it.

Don't have Tatlow to hand, but I'm sure someone will come up with the information before I go home.

Edit - this is a timber underframed diagram, but you get the idea:

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:48 am ...I've had a look on Google for a Dia,94 van, I didn't find anything, have you a Pic, by any chance...
In truth, Dia 94 was AVB (easy enough to fit the GN style brake gear from kit parts to a RTR chassis) or if you are as cavalier as I am, just make it unfitted as J Wealleans illustrates. (The important thing in my view is to have enough vehicles of the generically correct appearance to make realistic size trains for the extensive freight traffic.) All the pics I have are in published books, led by the excellent survey of Peter Tatlow already mentioned, heartily recommended.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

After a busy couple of days, I've read your replies, and I'm more confused than ever, I checked out PC25, which is a LNER 5 plank wagon, PC 26 is LNER box wagon, but with corrugated ends, PC 62 is the Fruit van, so I'm more confused than ever, I was thinking more along the lines of the GN wagon Jonathan published on his thread yesterday/today. Is this a 'real' wagon ??

manna
Attachments
Gilling-east-14.jpg