Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Edgware GN. Another C1

Post by Woodcock29 »

Terry
I've emailed you some info on early LNER vans which should assist you.

Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Got it Andrew, lot clearer now. Thank you.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning Terry,

My fault for not checking numbers. PC61 is the basis for my unfitted conversions. I don't seem to have any pictures of the steel underframed one. the wooden underframe is most easily done by swapping with a Cambrian open kit and using the PD bits to make a fitted open:

Edit - the steel underframed van is also possible from the 3H kit, if you can find one for sensible money:

The GN van is the 19' one which they built in some numbers before 1923. They were almost all fitted although some unfitted ones were built for the CLC:

These two were scratchbuilt by a friend who then gave them to me and I completed them. Hopefully what Andrew has sent amplifies what I've said. Just ask if you need any more.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Jonathon, the last two, look good, I have a Dapol chassis I want to use up (10' steel ) + I have a 9' wooden chassis I'll make up into one of the other vans. :D. The World of Wagons, mystery on wheels !!

manna
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Terry
You'll find the World of Wagons is actually a whole new exciting world that I've been partaking in since about 1976 when Peter Tatlow had his first comprehensive book on LNER wagons published. I bought my copy around that time for only around $8 from Tony Brown's Model Trading Post which you may not have known about living up north. Tony was able to sell books here for about the equivalent price as the UK price at that time which was terrific. That book was republished in the 80s or maybe 90s but he then wrote a 5 book series which was far more comprehensive. The original book or its reprint would be well worth getting. I'll keep my eye out for a copy for you.

When you visited that time I expect you were looking more at the locos than the wagons but there were heaps of LNER wagons built over the period 1976 to present on the layout. I've always found great pleasure in building wagons, partly because they're generally quick to build!

Sing out if you want more info from me.

Andrew
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:34 am ... the steel underframed van is also possible from the 3H kit...
These were a class act in their day, especially for the subject choices of LNER and LMS general merchandise vehicles, so essential for a realistic steam era wagon stock list. Robust mouldings that stood up well to modification, excellent wheelsets, and with detail improvements made using the late Adrian Swain's cast parts, they still look well today.
Woodcock29 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:38 am ...I've always found great pleasure in building wagons, partly because they're generally quick to build!...
Seconded: also none of that fiddly glazing, just a simple livery and a good jollop of filth on most...
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

The 3H kits were what I started with when building my first decent LNER wagons back around 1976 and as Hatfield Shed said were amenable to kit-bashing. I reckon I'd have around 8 or 9 of the vans in various guises and 6 or 7 of the opens on my layout. The vans were quite suitable for bashing into early fruit vans with the small louvre vents each side at the bottom of the ends and with a new end with vertical planks into fish vans. I made two of each of these.

Plus of course making fitted versions.

Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looking forward to delving into the Dark Arts of wagons ( Sorry :D ) But in the meantime............

C1 has slowly gone forward, mostly around the cylinders but I've made them a little to high, time to bring the file out.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5843.jpg
DSCF5844.jpg
DSCF5845.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I don't have many failures, but this one has had me scratching my head, I tried to put it together over the weekend, NO way was it going to fit together, after a lot of deep ! thought I came to the conclusion that the cylinders are in the wrong place (dumb ar*e), the cylinders should be between the front bogie wheels, not next to the rear wheelset :roll: :roll:

The C1 has been banished to a box until I can find a new set of cylinders and the valve gear of a Royal Scot or Patriot class loco, Stupid Boy !!

manna
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Just an observation based on comparison to my own C1 photos. Looks like the boiler is too short. More boiler between the front driving wheels and smokebox needed. Should only take you an hour or two to fix that. 8)

Paul
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Terry
I thought you were trying to make Thompson's version with cylinders where they are!

I'll get my coat.

Actually I might have a drawing of 3279 - I'll have a look.

Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Yes you are correct nzpaul, the boiler is a bit short, didn't spot that until I found nothing would fit, 5 mm out, so another fault !

Andrew, Like it :lol: :lol: If you do have a drawing. :D

I'll get back to it, Suitable valvegear will pop up on E-Bay, and a new boiler isn't a great hardship to make.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

While I'm waiting for Woodcock 29 to drop off my wagon book, I might as well make another engine ! A Johnson, Midland, 2f, or better known as a J40, as used on the M&GN. The chassis is scratch-built, and I have it running already, using Dublo/Wrenn wheels and a $2 Chinese open frame motor ( No expense spared). The body will be from a GBL 'Jinty' but currently it's still in England, but should be on it's way shortly. :D

manna
Attachments
DSCF5873.jpg
DSCF5874.jpg
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Home made with recycled parts......very green.
Curious as to how you've secured that type of motor into the chassis, have you made some kind of bracket to screw it to?

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

nzpaul wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:42 pm Home made with recycled parts......very green.
Curious as to how you've secured that type of motor into the chassis, have you made some kind of bracket to screw it to?

Paul
G'Day Paul

Nope, nothing so fancy, good old fashioned 'Super Glue', but it's cracked, now that I know it works, I'll use a 'Hot Glue gun' to secure it. One good thing about Hot Glue, you can dig it out to get to the motor.

manna