Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. What next.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Should easily be rigid enough.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey

The kits for the two W1s that I own, both came with Nickel-Silver chassis.

I have a Wills A3s, which had no chassis, so I substituted a Comet 8w chassis.

I currently use the so-called American method for pickups, and fit a separate chassis wherever possible, as it's easier to arrange the wiring connections to the loco.

The W1 would have raised a few eyebrows travelling up the Edgware branch.

Malcolm
aka Earlswood Nob (a signal box which disappeared when the line was increased to four tracks)
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

G'Day to earlswood nob, With this W1 I'm fitting a Hornby chassis, I'm saving the Finescale chassis for the Hornby Yarrow body I have acquired, you'll see more of it.

I know the W1 never got to run on the Edgware branch, but I believe and A4 was exhibited at the old Alexandra Palace station, possibly the 'Dominium of Canada'.

A small advance today, fitted the body to the chassis.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6938.JPG
DSCF6939.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

earlswood nob wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:18 am....The W1 would have raised a few eyebrows travelling up the Edgware branch.
There might have been problems with axle load limits for the Dollis Viaduct
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

K3, 4007, has had it lining done, weathering will take a bit longer.

The J3 has a nice new tender, looks a bit odd, dirty engine, clean tender.

W1, has also come along a bit.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6995.JPG
DSCF6996.JPG
DSCF6997.JPG
DSCF6998.JPG
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Good progress Terry.
Are you back in SA now? If so we should catch up sometime.
Andrew
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:54 pm ...The J3 has a nice new tender, looks a bit odd, dirty engine, clean tender...
Authentic however. There was no reluctance to exchange tenders at need to keep a loco operational.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Woodcock29 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:13 am Good progress Terry.
Are you back in SA now? If so we should catch up sometime.
Andrew
Hi Andrew.

No, still Qld, But I will be heading back to SA in the middle of November. I'm going to be busy until Christmas, But after that ??

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:37 am
manna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:54 pm ...The J3 has a nice new tender, looks a bit odd, dirty engine, clean tender...
Authentic however. There was no reluctance to exchange tenders at need to keep a loco operational.
G'Day Hatfield Shed.

Hey, that's good to know, I may very well leave it like that, for a while at least, I had a feeling that engines and tenders got swopped about a bit.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Now back in South Australia, but this time I had the Company of my son, who had flown out to Townsville, we spent nine days talking and driving across Australia, it's been nine years since I've seen him, I almost lost my voice, he flew back to London after three weeks from Adelaide, vowing to come back in 2 years for another 'Driving Holiday'. Boy it was Good.

On the Loco front, another J3 is taking shape, and a J54 (?) domeless Stirling version is a 'Must have' after seeing a picture of Hornsey shed showing a couple resting in the background.

I would also like to wish everybody a Very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7022.JPG
DSCF7038.JPG
DSCF7045.JPG
DSCF7047.JPG
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Your road tour with Son was obviously fun. Like the look of the Stirling origin J54. Joy of the season, even though you won't be looking out for Wenceslas tramping through the 'deep and crisp and even'...
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Nearly Christmas!
(I do hate all the pressure to start celebrating when there are still two days to go.)

What is the provenance of your J54 please?
I speak with interest since I built/bodged one a few years ago.
There is an account on my 'Make do and Mend' thread [url=https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... 80#p108380]....here..../url]

Oh yes, and Happy Christmas, and I hope it doesn't get too hot or wet!
Post_13a.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:42 pm Your road tour with Son was obviously fun. Like the look of the Stirling origin J54. Joy of the season, even though you won't be looking out for Wenceslas tramping through the 'deep and crisp and even'...
G'Day. Hatfield Shed.

Yes it was a Great trip down through Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia, almost 3,000ks. The J54 is Pure Hornby. The weather outlook for Adelaide, South Australia is a 'Freezing' 17c and showers, can't remember a Xmas so cold !!!!

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

drmditch wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 pm Nearly Christmas!
(I do hate all the pressure to start celebrating when there are still two days to go.)

What is the provenance of your J54 please?
I speak with interest since I built/bodged one a few years ago.
There is an account on my 'Make do and Mend' thread [url=https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... 80#p108380]....here..../url]

Oh yes, and Happy Christmas, and I hope it doesn't get too hot or wet!

Post_13a.JPG
G'Day drmditch.

I agree with your two days to go, some seem to start in August, but to look on the 'Brightside' we will be able to get Hot Crossed Buns, by the New Year.

The J52 is pure Hornby, a cold wet Christmas day is lined up.

I'll read your build, sorry but I couldn't remember who built one. As a PS. I've just read your adventures with your J54, it would seem I have a few more bits to do !

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you can live with detail discrepancies and dimensional discrepancies I'm sure that a straightback J54 with open cab can be "strongly suggested" by relatively conservative changes to a Hornby J52. If you want it to be as accurate as possibly I suspect that little of the original will remain, after a lot of work...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.