Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. Box full of fun.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having only just enlarged the original photograph, I think Paul may be spot on with his extended Princess theory. There's definitely some evidence of a horizontal joint line in the block just behind the rear wheels, under the slope on which the motor sits. I imagine that the space that was once there for the rear pony truck has been filled in with a piece, complete with additional magnet, from a donor chassis block.

Just out of curiosity yesterday I had a look in an old Ramsay's guide (in case my memory was defective) but could not find any suggestion that Margate had ever produced so much as a prototype of an eight-coupled loco, and that block certainly isn't a Dublo 8F type with substitute wheels and motor.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 am ... extended Princess theory...
That'll be a 'Principessa' then; clear enough now that pieces have been added to both the front and rear of the original block. (It was a major frustration of my infant years in OO, no eight coupled loco from Triang, no hope of the expensive H-D 8F.)

I propose second that this may well have been for the NER T3/LNER Q7. (Forgot that Pebbles had already made this suggestion.)
Last edited by Hatfield Shed on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Pebbles wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:53 am Cylinders point to pre-grouping, drive to the second axle points to at least three cylinders. I think the chassis is an old Princess or Britannia Chassis that appears to have been lengthened at the rear possibly an additional piece donated from another chassis. I'd settle on a Q7.
I'm not sure how this works, but here goes. I have little to add to my earlier observations that I see have been taken up other than that the Q7 had fairly steeply inclined cylinders. On the question of wheelbase the Q7s was 18ft 6inches made up from the front as 7ft X 5ft 9inches X 5ft 9inches. As a aside It would be interesting to know how the rear extension was achieved.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Working on a few different projects at the moment, but the J4 4084 is to the fore, just a couple of steps to do, I'm sure I've put the wrong sized letters on the tender.

The chassis on the B2 is now a runner, and is as almost as fast as the old tri-ang b12 (same gears) I'm fitting a chassis into the tender at the moment.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5640.JPG
DSCF5641.JPG
DSCF5639.JPG
DSCF5637.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Edgware GN. GC B2

Post by Chas Levin »

manna wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:38 am ... a bit of pipe from the smokebox ( atomizer ????) and couplings to the front. ( A second C12 is still in the draw, Double headed C12's, should look good )

manna
Hello - is the bit of pipe one that runs backwards from low down on the smokebox and dives behind the side tank, between it and the boiler? I've just been adding that to the C12 I'm building as it's on the Isinglass drawing and on various pictures (both prototype and others' models) but I haven't yet discovered what it actually does!
And yes, double headed C12s would look terrific...
Chas
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J4, now running.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Chas, I'm still not sure what it is, but quite a few GN loco's had them.

manna
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

manna wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 am G'Day Gents

Hi Chas, I'm still not sure what it is, but quite a few GN loco's had them.

manna
That's good enough for me :D
Chas
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Manna,
That is a very nice job on the J4.
Was it a kit?
The compound curve of the cab roof has me intrigued as I have tried to replicate this on another model.
I don't suppose the GNR had a standard but I guess curve from each cab side may be 2'6" radius and the middle section anything from 15' to 20'.
Maybe it varied depending on the type of locomotive.
I do not have any general arrangement drawings of these typical loco types.

regards
Kimball in Brisbane
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Kimball.

I don't always have drawings for some of my loco's, but I do have a dimensions, which I can work from, the 'Green Bibles' are a big help, plus bits gleaned from the net. GN cabs varied in width, Stirlings 0-6-0 were as narrow as 6'6", the widest GN type cab I've found is on a GN Atlantic at (3279) Sorry not a kit, most of my bodies are scratchbuilt, I think 'London Road Models' do a J4.

I make my GN cabs out of three main bits of plastic card plus smaller bits glued to the inside of a inverted 'U' shape, see pics below, it does involve a lot of filing.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5550.JPG
DSCF5552 - Copy (2).jpg
DSCF5554 - Copy.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Bit of an update on the B2, tenders been painted and lined, chassis under construction, a couple of days should see it on the layout.

The horseboxes have been painted but the bodies and roofs will need another coat (hope it's the right colour.)

manna
Attachments
DSCF5667.JPG
DSCF5670.JPG
DSCF5668.JPG
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Edgware GN. B2, update.

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello manna,
I really appreciate your pictures of that extraordinary build of the curved roof.
I guess the blocks used as the jig are steel.
The J4 has captured the profile really well.
By Green Bible do you mean RCTS locos volumes?

Kimball
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some of Stirling's early 2-4-0s had cabs only 6' wide.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

That a B2 from a Director body? Very nice.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Kimball, Yes the 'Green Bible' is the RCTS books, the steel jigs are old Lima Diesel weight blocks, very handy. Car body filler helps to fill any little imperfections in the curve of the cab.

Hi Phil, Yes one of the 'Great British Locomotives', think I paid about 4 Pounds for it, the Romford wheels cost the most, but all up, no more than 50 Pounds, which is pretty good for a useful loco.

Hi Greame, 6' is hardly big enough to have a sleep in, but then again, some of the Boilers were only, what 4'3".

manna
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Here I am sticking my nose in again! Kimball, most will Know that there are a whole range of RCTS books, the Green Bible is the term generally used for the LNER series, that said there are three volumes solely dealing with GNR engines. Apart from the Isinglass drawings, a lot can be gleaned from "Locomotives of the Great Northern Railway by G F Bird reprinted in 2013 by Amberley Publishing.