Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. Scenery to the fore.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Horsetan, yes, the area has changed a great deal, from mainly rural, with a few scattered houses, to mainly suburban, with a few scattered open spaces.

Here are a couple of pictures of what it used to look like.

manna
Attachments
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
edb69e91732ec3fe6187bc382e05a918.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Second pic above must be the last few years before closure, as The Hale had been cleared by then, leaving only the short LT concrete platform section in place under the arch of Bunns Lane. It remained there for decades until the arches were bricked up.

I think LT even managed to double the line before the extension works were suspended prior to final abandonment.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Awfully big crocodile seems to have escaped from the zoo.... :shock: (image on previous page)

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Horsetan, Yep the concrete bit was done by LT but I mucked up and built it like that on the layout, to late now to change it as it's part of the bridge support, so it'll have to stay wrong.

nzpaul, no your eyes do not deceive you, it;s a large Saltwater Croc, I have a couple of exotic animals scattered about the layout.
DSCF4641.JPG
Yesterday I refitted the motor in the Robinson B1, I used the hot glue gun, it has worked out OK, but you have to work very very fast, I ended up with a slightly wonky motor but it works OK. I soldered the pick ups direct to the wheels just to get it moving, surprisingly it runs quite well, but I'll fit a couple of extra pick ups in the future. The front bogie wheels touch the cylinders, it stop's the loco on some of the bends.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4646.JPG
DSCF4648.JPG
DSCF4649.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Received a parcel from England, which happens every so often, this time it restocked my draw with handrail knobs, crack pins a couple of loco's a kit streamlined B17 and a chassis, give me something to do for a while. We were planning a caravan holiday in Queensland again, which has knocked on the head.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4675.JPG
DSCF4676.JPG
DSCF4674.JPG
DSCF4678.JPG
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Is that a Golden Arrow B17/5 kit or one of the hard to get Dean Sidings?

Look forward to watching its build

Stay safe
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Never thought of glueing motors to chassis before interesting stuff.
Keep it up Manna and take care.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

The B17/5 is a Golden Arrow kit, I spent an hour out in the shed cleaning the flash up, looks better already.

I've been gluing motors into loco's for a few years now, very few have fallen off, but that was the first where I have used a Hot Glue Gun, the B1 has probably had an hour of run time (on and off) No problems so far.

We aren't in lock down yet, but we have been 'Advised' by the Government to stay at home, I take that as Good advice.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Progress on the B17/5, she's had a coat of undercoat, followed by Black and Green, but only the first coat on the green. The body is screwed to the chassis and has a run on the layout, I think it's a fraction on the 'Tubby' side as it touches the platform at Mill Hill, no other loco or coach does.
I also had an air bubble in the chimney, so I replaced it with a metal one that has been sitting in my bits draw for 35 years plus.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4739.JPG
DSCF4740.JPG
DSCF4741.JPG
DSCF4735.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. B17/5

Post by Dave »

Looking good Manna, I always fancied a B17/5, even though I'm a north eastern sort of person.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Dave, B17/5, could be on a Running in turn from Doncaster, brand new ?? rule No 1

The B17/5 has had a couple of coats of Apple Green, and that's where is been left, haven't even taken a picture of it.

I've as usual, whizzed off in a different direction, I bought a couple of etched chassis, for J50's off of Dave S, in early 2019, being the standard wheel base of a lot of GN/LNER loco's I thought I could adapt them for other locos, mainly a J6, as the Ex Airfix unit I had used on my J6 hasn't worked very well, the tender drive being absolutely useless, it runs but is very jerky, so this is my solution, a powered chassis and the motor removed from the tender.

The chassis was bent up by hand with a bit of MDF as a guide, wheels where fitted after reaming out the holes and after a slight twisting of the chassis it rolls, it's been finger pushed around the whole layout, no derailments, the soldering was an anti-climax as it took me all of three minutes to solder it up, next it was to fit the body to the chassis, this took some time as the body wasn't meant for this chassis, a bit of hacking to both has happened, there is still a ways to go until I'm happy. This is where I'm at at the moment

manna
Attachments
DSCF4804.JPG
DSCF4809.JPG
DSCF4813.JPG
DSCF4817.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Sounds like that fold-up chassis didn't really hurt at all. Are the coupling rods from Dave S too?

If I ever want to evict the Bachmann K3 lump from under my J2, in order to get full daylight under the boiler, that chassis looks like a good option.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Wrong wheelbase for a K3.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Atlantic, yes that would be a good idea, I have another one, I'm wondering what to make with it, the J5 I have is using a very wrong Dublo/Wrenn chassis, that's the way I'm leaning. And yes the chassis was very easy to solder up.

The coupling rods are a pair I had spare in the bits box, there's a couple of pairs on the etch.

Pebbles. Atlantic has a K3 chassis, sitting under a J2, this chassis is the correct wheelbase for a J2.

manna
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J6, Revisited.

Post by Dave »

It's good too wizz of in another direction, I do it all the time.
All looking good as usual.

Yes a running in turn from Doncaster solves lots of things.