Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, New mystery loco...a G1

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning Manna et al

I was looking at pics of the G1 last night and it seems that the domeless boilers had the Stirling trumpet over the safety valves, but this was removed when fitted with a domed boiler, and replaced with open Ramsbottom valves.

Earlswood nob
JCL
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by JCL »

Hi there

G1s are easily distinguished from G3s, G4s etc by having front sandbox tops at the same height as the splasher tops.

Initially the G1s had 4'2 1/2" boilers with Stirling smokebox doors, brass safety valves, no domes and short chimneys for working in London on the Metropolitan City Widened Lines. When leaving London for branch lines up north in areas such as Lincolnshire and West Yorkshire, they were provided with taller chimneys and their condensing equipment was removed.

Later, many had new 4' 2 1/2" domed Ivatt boilers with Ivatt safety valves. An example of this was No.824, which had a new domed boiler but which kept its Stirling smokebox door. Others examples had 4' 5" domed boilers which had the Ivatt smokebox door and safety valves fitted. These locos were also made wider and had wider, higher and flatter topped cabs.

No.824 was fitted with a Westinghouse pump for a while after it was withdrawn from revenue service, while 767, 931 and 934 had Westinghouse pumps fitted for a period of time while in service; these were removed a few years later.

There also seemed to have been two different diameters of condensing pipes, and the tall vents in front of the cab on the Stirling boilered locomotives, but not the Ivatt ones (or at least I haven't seen any photos of vents on Ivatt boilered locos, not the same thing, I know). No.766 had a shorter dome than the others that had domed boilers fitted, it's also the only one that I can remember that kept it's vents even after the Ivatt boiler was fitted.

There are one off differences such as 766 had a flat top cab different to the others, and I know one had steps on the bunker side, but for the life of me I can't find the photo of this. 770N received LNER unlined black, 3766 had LNER lettering on GNR livery.

The short tank G1s built as a later batch had a number of other changes like a marginally higher bunker and a different door cutout in the cab.

No 766, the first example to be built was the last one was withdrawn in 1927. It was a great looking loco, it's a shame there aren't any left.

I know I've missed stuff, but I hope that helps.

Jason
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thank you Jason, very informative, I'm at the point, that every loco was different from it's sisters.

Had a 'bit' of time between the rain to come in and build this G1, I tried to make a 19mm boiler, didn't work, so the boiler is 1mm oversize, humph !!

The rest of it seems to be going together OK, I've borrowed a chimney from a BEC J52, but a shorter one, will one day grace it's smokebox, the cab has been a bit of a challenge, lots of curves, the hole in the side of the cab will be filed out to the correct size later.

manna
Attachments
can you imagine a G1 in BR livery
can you imagine a G1 in BR livery
DSCF1887.JPG
DSCF1888.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

No more progress on the G1, but there's a couple of projects that have be finished or nearly finished.

Milk tankers, for the dairy at Finchley, these were sometimes run to Edgware for turning(get them out of the way) these were made from Lima and Hornby tankers, stripped down, painted then had transfers (Mainly Trains) United Dairies stuck on. I think the J4 is better suited to this traffic than the Q1.

The Tourist coaches, are almost finished, but need a bit of a tidy up, before applying the transfers.

The J1 is now a runner, I just have to make the loco/tender draw bar, The J15 now has a correct J15 dome, although I still have to paint it.

My bitzza L1, has a new chimney, only the cab roof to build, couplings and buffers to fit.

DP1, built and painted, just the lining to do, that bits a bit daunting.

Time for a few pics.

manna
Attachments
DSCF1889.jpg
DSCF1892.jpg
DSCF1894.jpg
DSCF1893.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thought it was time for an update, the G1 has had more filler spread around, cab is now the correct shape...well to my eyes.

D3, has had is boiler bands fitted.

And an older J52 has had a new stovepipe chimney fitted and the handrails replaced. Almost ready for painting. Have a look.

manna
Attachments
DSCF1900.JPG
DSCF1901.JPG
DSCF1902.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Loco update.

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

J52, 4233 is finished. D3, has had it's handrails fitted along with it's safety valves and whistle, and I'm trying to fit the handrails to the G1, but I keep dropping the handrail knobs on the carpet, pain in the ar$e keep getting the vacuum out, to pick up 'One' knob.

A start has been made on the O1 later O3, a bit of bicycle pump, has been thickened to 24mm, by wrapping some 5thou card around it, the smokebox has been made, a suitable dome has been selected, and the running plate will be bent soon.

manna
Attachments
DSCF1903.JPG
DSCF1904.JPG
DSCF1905.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

The D3, is almost finished, just the numbers to fit, although it is running with a B17 tender drive for the moment. :oops:

As I said in my last post, the running plate on the O1 (O3) has been soldered up, well up to the cylinders, that's the next job 8)

manna
Attachments
DSCF1910.JPG
DSCF1913.JPG
Nevtherev55
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Nevtherev55 »

I'm having a go at Finchley central but having to use a lot of license to fit into space, so not sure if to actually call it Finchley Church End under a 'what if' scenario of it not being taken over by LPTB but instead developed by LNER. However, biggest problem has been finding signal box diagrams for before LPTB took over.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

To,Nevtherev55.

I'm afraid I don't have anything like a signalbox diagram, this might help a little, but it's LT, though http://www.harsig.org/PDF/NorthernExtensions.pdf

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Long time no update, but plenty going on, my last reply, was made whilst 'on the road' took the caravan on a road trip to northern NSW, over 4,000kms in 10 days, wonderful time.

The D3 is out in the shed after being numbered, although I must finish the inside of the cab.

Another J52 has been victimized by cutting off the tank filled (then finding out it's a pull off type), it was then reinstated further back, a hole was then drilled an a small condensing dome inserted between the chimney and the tank filler (pic to follow)

The running plate on the O1, is finished, cab is being made. The C12 has been updated and repainted and numbered 4503.

A start has been made on enlarging the shed that holds Edgware, an 8'x8' extension has been approved by the household authority's, so after a trip to the hardware shop and $500 changing hands I came home with a whole hear of timber-plywood and corrugated iron, after the existing shed was emptied , one side was taken down(for light) a new floor was installed, the roof replaced, and the new end wall reinstated, the original plasterboard wall was taken down, and rebuilt 8' further back, which is where I am today, only one small strip of corrugated iron to put up, the new interior will be MDF, that will be going in at the weekend. So looking forward to Edgware getting bigger, I will be including Mill Hill (the Hale) station, and the goods yard that was seen on the previous Mill Hill layout, but without the snow, only the boards will be reused.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2094.JPG
DSCF2075.JPG
DSCF2091.JPG
DSCF2051.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Some more pics.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2150.JPG
DSCF2151.JPG
DSCF2149.JPG
DSCF2096.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Getting Bigger, shed rebuild

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Nearly all building work has been finished, and track laying is about to commence, most of the Mill Hill layout has been demolished, with three boards being used in the extension, the layout will be, right hand side, three arch bridge and LT under bridge, a left curve, under a plate girder bridge, into the Hale station, under a brick arch bridge, around a curve then past a goods yard, the goods yard and station have been transposed, being the only way I could fit it all in. See pics.

I still haven't had time to number the J52, but here's a couple of pics of the loco and condensing dome.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2210.JPG
DSCF2209.JPG
DSCF2208.JPG
DSCF2207.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Here's the J52, not enough room. I have included a pic of the prototype, seen in the shadow of Ferme Pk viaduct.

manna
Attachments
2888671_649373a0.jpg
DSCF2211.JPG
DSCF2214.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

After the excitement of the shed build it's back to the mundane of building locos :lol: who am I kidding :roll: I'm back on the O1, the running plate is finished, cab has been built, (that took a week, lot's of curves) and the boiler has been attached, the dome was in a job lot off of E-Bay and was the wrong shape so a brass screw (ex triang coach screw) was soldered to the inside of the dome and then turned in a drill, I think the shape is better, I've started on the boiler bands, so at least some progress.

tinkering about with a LIma J50 I have just realised that it has the same wheelbase a J6, J5, J1, and J2 experiments are now underway to fit bigger wheels and another motor.

To all our readers, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2287.JPG
DSCF2288.JPG
DSCF2289.JPG
Clock O' the North
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Edgware GN, Back to Gresley's O1

Post by Clock O' the North »

Hello
The O1 is really coming together manna. Oh and by the way, since when did the LNER become western? :D . Have a merry christmas as well