Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. GC B2

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A bit more time spent on the B2, has seen grey paint applied, now to clean up a few blemishes.

A new coach has been started, a Tourist brake third, made from a Triang Thompson, a tourist Buffet is also in the pipeline.

After a short visit from Woodcock 29, three Kirk coaches have found a new home, BR Mk 1 coach bogies, don't look right, Gresley's have been fitted.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5309.JPG
DSCF5310.JPG
DSCF5314.JPG
DSCF5315.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Slightly slimmer as the Director boiler may be, that loco has the unmistakable appearance of a Sam Fay, from the angles we've seen so far. Is the rear end currently sitting a touch low, or the front high perhaps?
The transfers appear to be in an unusual position on one of those Kirks.
I wonder if there's a more suitable word than "conversion" to describe the work, once an RTR model is cut into more than three or four pieces and put back together in a wholly new configuration? A "cut and shut" might imply only two pieces, possibly of different origins, and a "rebuild" doesn't necessarily aim to make the model representative of something totally different.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Reimagining?
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Graeme
You are correct about the lettering on the Kirks. They come from a deceased estate of one of our BRMA members who loved building plastic kits. He had little knowledge of what he was actually building. In fact the 8 compt TK had 1s on the doors! But at $10 ea (£5) they are a good starting point for whatever one might want to do with them. They had not been painted so no awful paint to remove. They even had Triang/Hornby BR bogies on them so I included some unmade Kirk Gresley bogies for Terry.
Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry for the late reply, I had to paint my parents bedroom ceiling yesterday, after a few marks appeared, (I get all the good jobs).

First, yes the cab end is a little low, the chassis is a standard old Hornby 0-6-0, and totally untouched, only the wheels have been changed, but that is about to change, as I'm about to fit a motor!
The boiler has slipped a bit, when I glued it to the smokebox, that'll be cut and re-glued.

I've removed some of the 1st class transfers on the coaches, new bogies being first priority.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Small update, given the B2 a coat of Green paint, and fitted a X03/4 and pick ups, a newer type X03/4, wouldn't work, so an old one was fitted, had it running on the layout, although the coupling rods are for the 'New' type Hornby 0-6-0, I fitted them and it 'bowed' them on the first revolution..........$#*^&$#.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5323.JPG
DSCF5324.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've put the B2 to one side for the moment, as I'm having a bit of trouble getting the gear wheel to hold onto a very shiny Romford axle, to remedy this new Hornby sized Romford axles have been purchased from the UK, with the 'rough' bits on the axles (enough for three engines) To give myself something to do, a C12 was pulled from the draw, where it's been for more the a year, doing nothing, I hadn't got around to fitting couplings, works perfect, but unfinished, 'RED' lining has been applied to the said C12, along with, lamp irons, a bit of pipe from the smokebox ( atomizer ????) and couplings to the front. ( A second C12 is still in the draw, Double headed C12's, should look good )

Have got a little further with the Tourist Brake, the other side has been cut and shut, about 12/13 bits, all wanting to go there own way, most ended up on the floor at least once, next job the chassis......

manna
Attachments
DSCF5357.JPG
DSCF5354.JPG
DSCF5351.JPG
DSCF5352.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. GC B2 & C12

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Decided to have another go at the C12 4503, which has a Cotswold body and a Hornby 0-4-0 (plastic) chassis, well the chassis, didn't work out, so I've turned my attention, to a 'Modernish' Hornby 0-6-0 chassis, replacing the front two sets of drivers with 23 mm Hornby wheels and axles, I had a play with the existing pick ups, plonked it on the track..........nothing, I took it off, cleaned and oiled the chassis, tried again and away it went......nice surprise, Happy Bunny!

Today, I've been working out how to fit the chassis to the body, bit of filing to the chassis and a chunk taken out of the back of the cab of the C12, I also removed the coal load in the bunker, this has been re-glued and will be re-used as it also holds the coal rails. Another couple of hours should see the two units bolted back together, and hopefully running, looking forward to 'Double headed C12's.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5362.JPG
DSCF5365.JPG
DSCF5369.JPG
DSCF5371.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The second C12 is now in a run-able condition, she runs well, but is a little 'weak', a bit more 'tweaking' is necessary.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5381.JPG
DSCF5383.JPG
DSCF5384.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

While I wait on a pile of loco bits to arrive in Oz, so I can finish off half a dozen locos, I thought I'd start a couple more, I've had a couple of Dublo/Wrenn R1 chassis hanging around for a while, one was always going to be another J3, the other I thought I'd make into a J7, after making a start, I kept looking at it thinking it 's never going to look right, wrong size wheels and in the wrong place, the only one anywhere like it was the good old Jinty chassis, having the right sized wheels, but 2 mm out, not 'to' bad, having just used up my last 'Modern' Hornby 0-6-0 chassis on the C12, I was stuck, looking through a couple of draws for something else, I found a forgotten 'K's' J3 chassis, remembering that they had the same wheelbase, good a Winner, Now wheels......No Romfords, only old Hornby wheels, fitting the axles into the chassis, surprise, they fitted, I took the wheels over to my drill, I filed the flanges down to a more respectable size, to many of my older loco's don't like the newer PECO points, so there's another job to do !!
A new can motor has been fitted (pick ups, ready but not fitted) Bodywork's coming on.
The other J3 is on it's way to, while the glue is drying on one I'll work on the other.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5422.JPG
DSCF5425.JPG
DSCF5426.JPG
DSCF5431.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J7 & J3.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The J7 has it's front splasher fitted, the little 'ears' will become the spring hangers, smokebox door fitted.( sorry, no picture of that.)

On the J3, a Fowler smokebox door has been fitted, as I am modeling one of the M&GN orphan's J3's, and to make it downright Ugly, it'll have a stovepipe chimney........poor thing. I doubt very much that one ever got to Edgware, but who knows, I think a few got to Stratford

manna
Attachments
DSCF5438.JPG
DSCF5441.JPG
DSCF5444.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Still plugging away on the J3 & J7, the J3 has just had it's first coat of paint, the J7 has had it's sanding control rods fitted, still a ways to go on both. Not 100% happy with the wheels on the J7, I can feel an order coming on for some Scaleways wheels coming on.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5448.JPG
DSCF5452.JPG
DSCF5449.JPG
DSCF5450.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The J3 has taken another step forward, following a coat of Satin paint and it's number, I believe these loco's were given an overhaul at Stratford, in 1937/8 ( anyone !!) if so I'll leave it nice and shiny, still wont make it less ugly.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5466.JPG
DSCF5462.JPG
DSCF5459.JPG
DSCF5460.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Excuse the intrusion please, I've found it a friend so that it won't get lonely away from the M & GN:
STA70962s.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:20 pm Excuse the intrusion please, I've found it a friend so that it won't get lonely away from the M & GN:
STA70962s.jpg
G'day Gents

Quite cute aren't they, pity we don't see many M&GN layouts.

The J7 is coming on, the body is almost finished, don't think I'll do any more on the chassis until I get some new wheels.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5465.JPG
DSCF5463.JPG
DSCF5464.JPG