Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J7 & J3.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Still been plugging on with odd projects, some lining has been acquired, two outstanding locos have been lined, the old Hornby C1 from many years ago and the B2, hopefully the new axles will be here soon.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5468.JPG
DSCF5471.JPG
DSCF5474.JPG
DSCF5477.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. J7 & J3.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A couple of A1's have staggered to the top of the 'to do' list, A 1980/90's tender drive Flying Scotsman, has been renamed 'Great Northern' it's tender top has been replaced with a GN type, but needed a coat of paint and lining. The second of the pair, is a bit different, as it has a modern type Pacific chassis, which I managed too pick up as part of a job lot of four damaged chassis (all A1-3-4), some had motors, a bargain at 12 quid. I've spent a couple of years picking up the bits to make it a runner again, this one is 'Victor Wild'.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5488.JPG
DSCF5490.JPG
DSCF5489.JPG
DSCF5496.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. The last J3.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Summer here in Oz, so I've slowed down a bit, but not to many Hot days. I slowly plugging away on my 'Last' J3, I think I have more than enough, but it does make a bit of a change. With Xmas almost upon us and Summer, for us belting out the heat ( not that it's to bad at the moment) This where I am at the moment. I have a large parcel in the post at the moment, of some of the 'Goodies' purchased over the last six months.

I'd also like to Wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5567.JPG
DSCF5568.JPG
DSCF5569.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Bit late, but, Happy New Year.......

The J3 has been fiddled with, the middle splasher has been replaced with the correct shaped rear sandbox type splasher.

At long last my parcel has arrived in Oz, only a month in transit. A B1 (Nucast, I think) bought for 20 quid, with broken valvegear and a non working motor was investigated first, the valvegear will need a rebuild, but the motor works, a broken wire is stopping the motor from working.
A Hornby 0-8-0 is another purchase, Has anyone got any information on this one, as all the magnets line up with the wheels, it looks to be 'Hornby' made ???

I also picked up a V1/3 brass chassis (with valvegear) which I'm hoping to fit under a Gresley K1 or K2.

There is also a couple of LNER horse boxes, a gift from my son for my recent 70th birthday, also a couple of GBL D11's, I've got plans for them, and lots of sundry, wheels, axles, handrail knobs etc

manna
Attachments
DSCF5609.JPG
DSCF5613.JPG
DSCF5614.JPG
DSCF5624.JPG
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Happy new year Manna, best wishes.

Looks like you've got plenty to be going on with.

Paul.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Edgware GN. Box full of fun.

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Terry
The 0-8-0 is rather a mystery. Triang (now Hornby) never made an 8 coupled chassis as far as I know. I'm thinking its an 0-6-0 chassis that has had the centre axle filled and two new axles drilled either side of it. That 's the best I can come up with.

By the way happy birthday for your 70th. Five years to go for me!

Andrew
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Woodcock29 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:11 am Hi Terry
The 0-8-0 is rather a mystery. Triang (now Hornby) never made an 8 coupled chassis as far as I know. I'm thinking its an 0-6-0 chassis that has had the centre axle filled and two new axles drilled either side of it. That 's the best I can come up with.

By the way happy birthday for your 70th. Five years to go for me!

Andrew
Wouldn't re-drilling two new centre axles require a re-positioned drive/gearbox though as well Andrew?

8F or similar with the front cut off? Some tie in to Dublo rather than pure tri-ang, but the spacing's aren't the same as either a 2 rail or 3 rail 8F.

Fascinating!
Last edited by Paul_sterling on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm intrigued. I'll be very interested to learn what that chassis really is.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Could it be a heavily modified 9F chassis? Looks like alot of metal has been cut away at the front and there appears to be an old mount point just forward of the cylinder block
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I don't think the original Margate 9F ever had any provision for a motor in the loco, being tender drive from the beginning. The wheel spacing is rather generous too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

My guess is a modified princess chassis, the rear axle looks to be running in an additional piece of metal (it's a different colour)
Also the coupling rod looks to have a soldered joint at the 3rd axle. Just a stab at a possible explanation of course, but I also find it quite mysterious and interesting.

Paul
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Cylinders point to pre-grouping, drive to the second axle points to at least three cylinders. I think the chassis is an old Princess or Britannia Chassis that appears to have been lengthened at the rear possibly an additional piece donated from another chassis. I'd settle on a Q7.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for your replies, the wheel spacings are at 26 mm centers, there is a join at the front, I'll put up a better picture later, I tried to put it under a R1 body, but doesn't look right.

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

At 6' 6" spacings all round you could re-wheel it and make a P2, although it might be easier to buy one!

The w.b. is a bit long even for an O1 or O2. Weren't all the 0-8-0s on even shorter w.b.'s? Maybe you could make an extra-long Tom? :?

What about Gresley's projected 4-8-2 but with 24mm wheels, or a Bulleid never-was Mikado???

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I like that, 'An extra long Tom' :lol:

Still haven't had a lot of time to go through my 'Green Bibles'. But did manage a few more pics. Plus a close up pic of the B1 valvegear and hopefully the motor to.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5626.JPG
DSCF5627.JPG
DSCF5628.JPG
DSCF5630.JPG