Bachmann O Gauge A1/3

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Bachmann O Gauge A1/3

Post by GeoffB »

Hi All,

Just a quick little note to say that I've just taken delivery of one of the Bachmann A1/3 "Scotsman" locos, in brass.

I will endeavour to get a few pics of it by the weekend - looks very nice although I've not really had the time to go over it fully yet - and then there's the painting to do! That will be a few weeks away yet.

As my line is not yet a runner (still building bridges and viaducts) it will be a few weeks before I can try it out, but I've heard that they run really nicely, straight out of the box.

More soon - keep watching!

GeoffB
Ps - and - no - I haven't got much further with the V2 either - everything else keeps getting in the way!!
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

PS. Forgot to add that it is the "as in service" version - mid 30's - not the preserved one (Definitely not with the German smoke deflectors!!)
GeoffB
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yes, I saw this at the York Show, on the Bachmann stand.
It loks very nice, if a little expensive when I've nay chance of running it!
Will have to make do with the Corgi version off the back of the 2 trucks!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Actually, I bought mine from Tower Models - a whopping £160.00 cheaper than through Bachmann!
I looked at the cost of a good kit, plus wheels and a good motor and gearbox and would you believe, it actually worked out dearer than the Bachmann/Tower RTR loco! Especially now with the new Tower price.
They rang me to tell me they had 2 pieces of good news - one was that they had them in stock and the second bit of good news was that it was £60.00 cheaper than they had originally quoted. That must be a first!!

GeoffB
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Finally got the pictures taken - here's the Scotsman on one of the viaduct approaches.
Attachments
Flying_Scotsman_(Bach)_web.jpg
On viaduct approach - soon to be in the paintshop
(99 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

GeoffB wrote:PS. Forgot to add that it is the "as in service" version - mid 30's - not the preserved one (Definitely not with the German smoke deflectors!!)
GeoffB
There's one in the NRM shop, fully painted, limited to 100 peices!

I think though, Mallards works plate will do instead at £100!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

GeoffB wrote:Finally got the pictures taken - here's the Scotsman on one of the viaduct approaches.
Is it just me, or are the smokebox door dart handles a bit on the long side? Regardless, she looks excellent.

I had been toying with the idea of buying a Bachmann brass 7mm 03 diesel shunter, as I remember these fondly as station pilots at Newcastle Central (along with the seemingly ever-present class 31, D5856). My principal worry was painting it. How difficult is painting your A3 going to be - is it possible to dismantle (and, just as importantly, reassemble) the running gear so that the wheels and frames can be cleaned, primed, and painted?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

She does look good!

She'd be right at home alongside Sinatra's collection - part of which I saw at the weekend at the Bush library. Yes, I had my Americanised Flying Scotsman setup - it ran, but was a bit delicate for regular running, so I'll be leaving her on the museum module. I plan to have a camera with me next weekend, so I should be able to post some photos.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Bullhead
If you are concerned about painting an 03, DJH Engineering sell ready painted models. Try

http://www.djhengineering.co.uk/loco/

Saw some of their models at the York Show and they were very impressive.

Andy
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi Guys,

"There's one in the NRM shop, fully painted, limited to 100 peices! "
Is that in O Gauge?

"Is it just me, or are the smokebox door dart handles a bit on the long side? Regardless, she looks excellent."

Yes, they are a little on the long side - easy to rectify tho - there are one or two small anomilies to sort before painting.

Regarding the painting, shouldn't really be a problem. It will dismantle so far and with a little careful masking should be OK. The wheels and running gear will come off, so no problem there. :D I usually use etching primer and cellulose car aerosols (colour matched to Doncy green) from the local trade suppliers.

It will take a little time - especially the lining, but I will probably think about leaving it until I finish the V2 and do them both together.

GeoffB
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yes, the one in the NRM shop is the current state one, in O Gauge
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick not to say that I went to the GOG show at Halifax at the weekend - a good show too - and had the A3 running on the test track there for an hour or so.

She performed reasonably well, but kept derailing the front bogie
on a big bump on a baseboard joint on a curve. It was probably, as I
had originally suspected when I first examined the loco, way over
sprung and might as well have had a rigid chassis (I think the Chinese
must think that we sit on the tender like a 5" gauge with the springs
they have fitted to both the loco and tender). A lot softer springs
need to be fitted and it would ride the "bumps" a bit better. I think
a little attention to the springing arrangement on the front bogie
will stop it lifting the leading axle into a nose up attitude. Apart
from that, it ran well.

I have, since the last posting, done a few modifications which include modifying the front bogie to add the bearing dust shields and the front guard irons to the chassis. After doing so, there was an issue with the bogie tending to foul the new guard irons, which were positioned exactly right as per the drawings. On closer inspection, Bachmann have made the guard irons on the bogie high up to alleviate any fouling of the most uneven track (like the side play on the axles and the gap between the tender and loco - way, way too big! But it will negotiate a 2&1/2 ft radius!!). To achieve the lifting of the guard irons, they have made the bogie too long by approx 4mm towards the front and this causes the problem - but easily cured.

I've also added an extra 1/2 lb of weight in the chassis area to help traction. And just to answer Bullheads comment about the smoke box dart handles (which I completely agreed with) - I have cut them down and altered the position of them.

Oh yes. And I've removed the cylinder drain cock pipes as they were never like that in the prewar versions. Only, apparently, in the preserved version.

One or two small niggles with it but on the whole a nice RTR loco.

I must say a big thanks to Nelson Keene for the use of the East Midlands test track for most of the afternoon (along with my J71 - see GeoffByman's J71).

Regards,

GeoffB
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The one in the NRM shop is limited to 25 peices!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Dare I ask how much it is?

GeoffB
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

off hand I can't remember exact, but it is defently over £1200.00