Silver Jubilee/ Coronation Coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Silver Jubilee/ Coronation Coaches

Post by mick b »

Hi
New to group and hello to everybody.
Can anyone assist with a source of photographs of the Silver Jubilee and Coronation Coaches as built.
Does anyone know if the Silver Jubilee Coaches have ever been modelled in 4mm scale? I have the |Fox Transfers but cannot find any kits. Seems very starnge that Fox have printed transfers for non existent models!!
Lastly are the Mailcoach Coronation kits any good??
thanks
Mick :D
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Hello Mick,the probable reason that Fox offer Silver Jubilee transfers is that Mailcoach did the rake at one stage.It was listed as deleted by 1997 at least and though still mentioned in their catalogue the comment is"in case of extreme need please telephone for advice".I can only comment on the standard of their Kirk kits at present-they are improved on the original and offer good value for money,I would guess the Mailcoach range is just as good-check out their website on ww.coopercraft .co uk,I have no connection other than a very happy customer of theirs! Best of luck.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I have built a mailcoach coronation coach. It had clear sides unlike kirk coaches. The window frames are moulded on and you just have to paint around them. Makes masking difficult. So I painted it by brush The coach i made was in BR condition as no valences where supplied for the underframe. I guess with a decent drawing from Isinglass you could scratch build the valences. The kits are up to normal Kirk standards with very basic under frames. They go together well and with extra MJT or comet parts nice models can be made
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I have built a number of the Kirk kits and they are a good base kit.
The Mailcoach kit sound a bit strange !! cant se the logic in clear sides? Amazing if no valances are included? perhaps moissing from this particular kit? but it should be easy to make new ones.
Lastly does anyone know where the following Jubilee/Coronation Lettering is located.The Fox transfers have capital A ,B's etc included where were they placed sides or ends?
I am amazed how few reference photos i have traced on either coach rake so far.

cheers
Mick :lol:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

When you have moulded body frames, it does sound a bit strange.

The Farish/Bachman Mk1s in N are clear sided bodies, and that is usually considered a good thing - for a smooth sided coach! The N community still considers the moulded/relief side coaches are better with a traditional opaque body + glazing approach. Also, they're RTR so painting isn't a problem :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I've seen some hornby ones on ebay from one of the Silver A4 sets if it helps, all ready to run
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Silver-Jub ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-LNER-Hornby- ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Ltd-Editio ... dZViewItem

Hope these help
Some times the coaches are seperate!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I think the problem with the Hornby Silver Jubilee coaches is that they are actually LMS stanier period 3 coaches on Gresley bogies! They may be acceptable as a cheap stand-in while you build a kit set.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

61650GTFC wrote:I think the problem with the Hornby Silver Jubilee coaches is that they are actually LMS stanier period 3 coaches on Gresley bogies! They may be acceptable as a cheap stand-in while you build a kit set.
Yes i agree they are nothing like the originals , thay also are not cheap to buy!! they are selling for silly money

Mick
hainaultandy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hainaultandy »

A good source of pictures for ther Coronation and Silver Jubilee trains as introduced , is Streamlined Steam published by David and Charles , ISBN 0-7153-0171-3.
Having built two rakes of Coronation coaches and a Silver Jubilee rake , I found each kit contained the valances , these were removed after the war probably at the time BR repainted most of the coaches into blood and custard livery.
The capital leters you refered to were coach leters on the side of each coach , A to H , with the A at the London end of the train , the observation coach was un-lettered as it changed ends after each run.
The Isinglass drawings give the positioning for the leters , numbers etc.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi

I will try and find a copy of the book.

You mention building a rake of Jubilee Coaches, can you remember who made the kits??
I know MailCoach Models make the Coronation set , if your Coronation Rakes are the same? are those kits are they any good?

many thanks

Mick
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

hi

you can get the book through Amazon prices start at 3.95. from what i managed to glean from the interweb the coronation coaches were based on those used in the silver jubilee but they had open seating throughout. So form that the mailcoac coronation sets could be used as a basis for a small sample of kit bashing to produce the compartment coaches needed for the silver jubilee

hope this helps
simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
hainaultandy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hainaultandy »

The Silver Jubilee rake was from Mailcoach produced when that company was still based in Fife Scotland.
I am not sure if CooperCraft in Leytonstone can help but contacting them seems the best bet as they now hold the Mailcoach kit range.
The Silver Jubilee as built by the LNER in 1935 consisted of a pair of articulated coaches , a triplet restaurant set and another articulated pair , this had a centre coach added in 1938? to increase seating, the Mailcoach kit covered a 7 and 8 coach rake.
The Coronation train consisted of 4 pairs of coaches , (South/London end)Coaches A/B a brake 3rd and restaurant 3rd.
Coaches C/D, 1st class opens.
Coaches E/F, open 3rd and restaurant 3rd.
Coaches G/H , open 3rd, brake 3rd.(North/Edinburgh end). Plus bever tail observation coach in the summer months.
The Mailcoach kits are fine if you don't mind hand painting as they are fromed of clear sides. Railmatch Garter Blue for the lower sides and a duck egg blue for the upper sides. Roofs appear silver or white when new but I guess they soon became grey after running in service a while. I hope this helps. If I can add anymore information , happy to.
Attachments
Sidi 001.jpg
(352.61 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
hainaultandy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hainaultandy »

Some pics of Mailcoach Coronation set , I must learn to crop pics :D
Attachments
Coro2.jpg
Coro2.jpg (118.85 KiB) Viewed 20793 times
hainaultandy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hainaultandy »

and again!
Attachments
Coro1.jpg
Coro1.jpg (210.01 KiB) Viewed 20812 times
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

hainaultandy wrote:A good source of pictures for ther Coronation and Silver Jubilee trains as introduced , is Streamlined Steam published by David and Charles , ISBN 0-7153-0171-3.
Having built two rakes of Coronation coaches and a Silver Jubilee rake , I found each kit contained the valances , these were removed after the war probably at the time BR repainted most of the coaches into blood and custard livery.
The capital leters you refered to were coach leters on the side of each coach , A to H , with the A at the London end of the train , the observation coach was un-lettered as it changed ends after each run.
The Isinglass drawings give the positioning for the leters , numbers etc.
Hi
Found a copy on ebay just awaiting delivery.

thanks mick