Corbridge Station

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

BarryH
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Corbridge Station

Post by BarryH »

Greetings from New South Wales, Australia.
I'm planning a layout in the 50s - 65 era and would like any drawings of the track configuration in the station at Corbridge.
I already have lots of information from photos but the one thing that I can not get detail on is the footbridge. On the southern end the bridge has a flight going up to the road bridge but I can't get any views of the northern end, which appears to be truncated at a landing.
Can anyone assist please.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Corbridge Station

Post by ArthurK »

I have a number of photos of Corbridge taken in the 1960s. These include shots of the footbridge. They are in TIF format and are pretty big files. I will convert them to JPEG format and post them. If I remember correctly I may also have colour slides taken on a different occasion.

Track layout is on one of the "White diagrams" available from the NERA.

Arthur
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Took some photos of exactly what you are talking about in the 1990's and I'll have a look and post them. I think if you look on Google Earth Streetview you should be able to see it as it is now - the station is Listed so it can't have changed much.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

CORBRIDGE

A few photos taken in 1960s
Book 9 055_6.jpg
Book 9 056_2.jpg
Book 9 056_3.jpg
Book 9 056_4.jpg
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

More of Corbridge
Book 9 056_6.jpg
Book 9 056_5.jpg
Book 9 057_005.jpg
Book 9 057_006.jpg
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

And more Corbridge, Seems I can only post four at a time :!: :(
Book 9 057_003.jpg
Book 9 057_002.jpg
Book 9 057_004.jpg
Book 9 057_007.jpg
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Four colour shots taken 1990s.
Corbridge001.jpg
Corbridge002.jpg
Corbridge003.jpg
Corbridge004.jpg
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Awesome pictures.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Now the last colour of Corbridge.
Corbridge008.jpg
Corbridge005.jpg
Corbridge006.jpg
Corbridge007.jpg
Sorry folks thats all :!:

Incidentally the station building is/was an Italian restaurant :!:
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

That little glazed wooden extension at road bridge level is long gone.Great photos!
BarryH
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BarryH »

Many thanks ArthurK.
Fantastic photos. The colour one marked corbridge008 showed me exactly what I could not work out, namely the stone stairwork at the bottom of the footbridge.
You may be wondering, why Corbridge. Well, way back in 1949, I was born at Dilston.
I never lived there but lived near Wark, at Haydon Bridge, and at Halton Lea Gate, near Haltwhistle and of course also near the beautiful Lambley Viaduct.
Corbridge will make a great through station on my planned layout which is centred around the Haltwhistle - Alston branch.

All the best. Bazz
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Glad to be of assistance.
Being born in the Tyne valey (albeit much closer to Newcastle) Ihave always had an interest in the Carlisle line. Blaydon shed was only 1 1/2 miles away so I spent a lot of time there. When I returned to the Northeast for Holidays and family visits I took many photographs in the area. I have a full set of photos of Blaydon Station. I photographed from the opposite platform and worked my way down until I had recorded just about everything. The canopies were gone by that time. I also photgraphed signal boxes along the Tyne valley and also station buildings. These include Wylam & Stocksfield (I had planned to model that) also Riding Mill, Corbridge, Hexham and Haltwhistle.
If any of these are of use just let me know.

Arthur
BarryH
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BarryH »

Thanks again Arthur. I already have Haltwhistle and Alston sorted, I am just filling in on the tail chaser part of the layout. I now have to come up with another realistic mainline through station to complete my vision. I have been working from information gained via the internet.
It's amazing how much information can be found. I love this site. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the info on engines before I joined.
Regards, Bazz
colin61
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by colin61 »

So, I have started researching for lots of details on Corbridge Station. Having lived in the village in the 70s, and been a regular user of the station and the Newcastle to Carlisle line, I am inspired to model it, although perhaps in a slightly earlier era.

Maybe the most interesting model operationally would be one set in the 20's through the 40's. This based on having acquired the 1:25000 OS Map for 1922 there appears to be a quite a complex track plan with lots of operational interest. Most of this is in fact still there on the 1950 OS Map. So in fact with modelers license 20s to 50s seems modelable with this plan.

However there are some issues I would like to solve. Referring to the attached extract of the map.
ExtractCorbridgeM.jpg
Does anyone have any ideas as to the the function of the siding with a longish building ( other structure? ) at the end that I have ringed in RED ( labelled 1 ) ? I have yet to find a picture showing this.

For the Corbridge Gas Company ( works ringed in RED and labelled 2 ) - any ideas if the short siding pointing there is for the purpose of servicing it? - it does not quite seem to reach. Or if , perhaps, coal would have been carted over from the coal drops on the far side of the mainline ( seems inefficient but maybe happened )? I am still searching for pictures of the gas works.

Additionally - the signal box, which I understand burnt down in the early 60's - I understand it was an NER Type N5 overhead similar to the surviving Hexham and Wylam boxes. I have some fairly different photos I have found so far. Does anybody know of close up photos or drawings? Similarly close up photos or drawings of the goodshed would be handy

Also I am trying to find pictures of the timber yard served by a siding to the west of the station - even better would be to also fins pictures of the two timber yards just to the west of the Dilston crossing / box which both appear from another part of the 1920's map to have been served by tehir own sidings - this would add further workings.

Next time I am back in the UK I am going to start to dig in some offline archives - I believe Northumberland County has some - also there are probably some related to the Hexham Courant or similar - I need to find out where these are held.

However if in the mean time anyone has thoughts on the above questions and more photos ( my online search has so far been pretty thorough ) all info would be gratefully received,

Cheers,

Colin.