Geoff Byman's J71

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Geoff Byman's J71

Post by richard »

I'm planning on adding this picture to the J71 page later today, but I am posting it here as a test of the new file and picture attachment system.

I'm using a picture that Geoff Byman sent me of his O gauge (7mm) Connoisseur J71 brass kit, constructed and waiting for the paint shop.

Richard
Attachments
j71_geoff.jpg
O gauge (7mm) Connoisseur J71 brass kit, constructed and waiting for the paint shop - thanks to Geoff Byman.
(176.18 KiB) Downloaded 1268 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Very nice, whats the difference between the J71 and J72? My bet is wheel diameter, could be wrong though
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the wheel diameter and the piston size.

The J71 (NER Class E) was T.W. Worsdell's standard shunting engine for the NER.

His brother Wilson Worsdell preferred a smaller wheel diameter and larger piston size. His amended design became the
J72 (NER Class E1).

I've just added the J71 page, and some of the earliest J71s had 4ft (vs. 4ft 6in) wheels. A variety of different 16-and-a-bit-inches diameter cylinders were fitted.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
--Si--
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by --Si-- »

Isn't it thier a J72 at the NYMR, and isn't it being restored to working order as we speak??
Very good looking model!!
Simon Getgood
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes. It is called "Joem". It was one of the later BR-built engines.
Served its last few BR years as Departmental Stock - hence lasting longer than the rest.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Yeah Joem is currently being overhauled at Darlington Hope Town works, by the excellent North Road Museum, see www.nelpg.org.uk for some nice photos and info
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

J71

Post by GeoffB »

Just signed in and seen the bits about the 71. A friend of mine almost bought that particular 72 on the NYMR quite a number of years ago, but 2 of the 4 people in the syndicate pulled out leaving them hi un dri (not a car!!) :( . He now has a 12" to the foot railway in his garden with a saddletank industrial instead. (Big garden!!) :D

Regarding the 71/72 the differences were as Richard said and quite often boilers were swapped about between them. There were slight differences in little details and on the coal bunker but if you put a 71 on the 4ft wheels then you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. As Richard said, the first 12 built did have 4ft wheels.

To make a 72, just use a 71 kit, add the one or two minor details, such as vents on top of the tanks, and put it on 4ft wheels - model of 72!!

Mine has just been painted and is undergoing the lining - being a glutton for punishment, I've painted it in beautiful "Doncaster" green - but what a pain the lining is!

Will send Richard a piccie when it's finished - soon!!

Geoff.
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Geoff Bymans J71

Post by GeoffB »

Here are some finished pics of the 71 - freshly out shopped from painting. The pics are taken on the approach to one of the three viaduct sections on my garden railway (still under construction - more later) plus a close up of the weathered chassis - I will lightly weather the body when I can pluck up courage to attack it!!! :D

GeoffB
Attachments
J71_Viaduct3_3681.jpg
With teak made from wood veneer overlays.
(120.97 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times
J71_Chassis_Weather_3687.jpg
Close up showing the attempted weathering on the chassis - especially the brake blocks, behind the wheels and the firebox grate area.
(133.19 KiB) Downloaded 1020 times
General view similar to the one I saw in Steam Days mag that prompted me to paint it green.
General view similar to the one I saw in Steam Days mag that prompted me to paint it green.
J71_TQtr_Vw_3691.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 20579 times
J71_SteamonViaduct_3668_email.jpg
Live Steam?? No - just a cheatin' photographer!!
(135.05 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

It looks beautiful Geoff!

Congratualtions.

John
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi All,

Alongside the report on the Bacmann A3 having a run at the GOG Halifax show at the weekend, I treat the 71 to a run too.

I had the 71 running for almost 2 hours with one of Jims fish (Connoisseur Models) vans behind and later with the four test coaches behind. I was well pleased with the little 71 as prior to that it had only been run on the rollers. That it ran faultlessly, for the first time, with no rocking or jerking, virtually non stop for almost two hours with no ill
effects, was a joy for me (as it was my first kit) and testament to
Jims (Connoisseur Models) super kit designs.

As one guy put it, after watching some larger loco struggling here and there, "The kid's going well! - and it looks pretty too!" It certainly did. One proud owner was I!!

Many thanks to Nelson Keene for the use of the East Midlands test track for most of the afternoon.

GeoffB
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Nicely done, Geoff!
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Thanks GA. Must get on with the V2 now the nights are drawing in - and the finishing touches to the A£.

GeoffB
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

What shade of LNER Green is this model in? I'm producing my own in 4mm scale.
The user formerly known as Bass.
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Captain Baxter fan 626 »

Very cool. Man I've always loved inside cylinder engines must be becuse I grew up watching Thomas.
Once an engine attached to a train, Was afraid of a few drops of rain.
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Nice one Geoff I hope I can turn out my continous welded rail train (RDS 288 type) as well. That will involves a couple of loco repaints aswell. Im gonna celabrate Subsectors aniversary with a pair of 37's and for when Im running it in the mid 90's a loadhaul class 60 and for the privatiseation period a pair of GBRf 73's and a pair of EWS 37's, proberbly 411 and 419. 419 is on the work bench now for weathering and 37411 (The New one) is on order as as 'The Scottish Railway Preservation Socity' nameplates. All I need now is the small Transrail and Eastfeild scottie insigna.

Models I plan to produce in the next year
37419-on the work bench (weathering)
37698-Load Haul with EWS red and gold on centre door (re-paint and weathering
37688-'Kingmoor TMD' (re-paint ans naming)
37411-'The Scottish Railway Preservation Socity' (weathering and detailing)
73136-Re-paint
7320*-as above
37513+37515-Repaint as Thornaby metals machines

hmmmmmmm I wonder whats my favorite diesel then? thats a difficult question. NOT
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.