OO gauge loco kits?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

OO gauge loco kits?

Post by micmacmoc »

Hello, a new fella here. I model oo gauge, LNER. I have begun to learn loco building, currently doing the J52 conversionwith Dave Cleal's kit. Its a most enjoyable job, I would really like to do some larger locos as my experience grows, I'm not quite up to an A4 or P2 yet but I'll get there. Are there any other manufacturers producing brass LNER kits in OO? I'm a bit wary of white metal kits, they look as though I'll mess them up.
I can see this becoming an addiction! I'll get some pics up on here when work out how to.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: OO gauge loco kits?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For all-etched kits you could have a look at London Road Models, PDK, Craftsman (if you can find 'em), and others once you feel confident to tackle a less user-friendly kit. I think PDK may have the best reputation for doing "exactly what it says on the tin", but I've not actually built one of theirs. I'd definitely suggest sticking to a simple prototype at first, maybe an 0-6-0 with straight running plate and generally plain outline, and probably avoid any 4-4-0 or 0-4-4 types until you have some experience and have read up a bit on snags and techniques.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

Thanks! I will trawl the web for those. I'll do another 0-6-0 before moving on to complex rod arrangements, I had my J52 running on the test bench last night, it takes forever to get it smooth! Lots of disconnecting the con rods and reaming the hole until it ran dead slow. It was most satisfying, my first loco....I built that! I only hope I can do the body work as well as the chassis is looking.
Thanks again, off to window shop for another project.
moc
in
mevagissey
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

London Road are excellent - even a duffer like me can produce a working 0-4-4T from one of theirs without too many dramas (one of those LMS thingies - we all have our weaknesses)

I've built a Crownline V2 and found it pretty good, even converting the part-built chassis from EM to OO along the way. These are now available from PDK.

DJH are worth a look, although be prepared to replace some of the detail castings which are usually poor. With most kits, you may want to have a look at Comet's range because PDK and DJH both suffer from being designed in the 1980s (I think) where a single layer of metal sufficed for the rods.

Still, such is the fun of building. My present project? A DJH Clan which has received a set of Comet Brittannia valve gear.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
CJ_LNER
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by CJ_LNER »

DJH do a couple of starter kits, don't they? Also there's the Right Track DVD's with Tony Wright building a couple of kits including a DJH A2. I've never built a kit so I could never comment but I would start small, with the eventual aim of building a 9F or an A2.
Chris
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

From memory the DJH starter kits are mostly white-metal with bolt together chassis? Not sure if they are a good starter project from a practising etched kits point of view. I like the look of the Lochgorm kits starter frets though.
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

Thanks for all the advice and pointers to manufacturers, some of whom I had'nt come across yet. My J52 is coming along....dispite my accidentally putting a scalpel through the bunker bars. This meant my having to solder together three brass wires and fit them. It took hours! I'm not entirely convinced by my efforts but its been a good lesson.
I have the chassis and body largely finished with he detailing and fitting the chassis to complete. Then some paint and weathering.
I have already bought my next kit, an LNER D20 from DJH. My teacher/instructor through all this has many years modelling under his belt, I was initially shying away from anything too complex but feel this is a good progression. I'm hooked!
Thanks again folks, I will look at all the recommendations and do some more shopping, ta!
CJ_LNER
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by CJ_LNER »

Maybe you could post some pictures of the D20 as you progress through the kit? It's all a learning experience for those of us who would like to take the leap into kits.
Chris
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

Trying to work out how to post pics of my first build....I'm quite proud of it, runs 'like a sewing machine!'

[img][IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2759/img0878g.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It looks good to me! What was the origin of the J52 kit again please?

The way you have posted your imageshack link as above is useful as I have been able to follow the link to all of your other imageshack pictures too. Looks like the D20 is coming along.

In order to get a specific image to display on here, I have found that you have to delete the inner pair of [img]&[/img] notations from your imageshack link, leaving just the outer ones as provided by the "image" button for this LNER forum. That will only give us one image at a time however - unless the IT gurus know better.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

Thanks! I was trying to work out how to do it directly, all this digital technology is beyond me. I'll try and get the D20 pics up too. Image

hmmm.....something like this!
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

The J52 looks very good, but you might find it looks even better with small Gill Sans LNER over the number, which would have been correct!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Micmacmoc: If you haven't already done so, you may have more success with image size if you go to "my images" in imageshack, look for the thumbnail of your chosen image, click on the icon alongside the thumbnail that generates the "share it" message, and then in the new window copy the link that appears in the "forums" box.

micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

thanks all! the kit was from Dave Cleal, I remember going to his Chandlers Ford shop in the eighties, lovely fella. I did the transfers as seen in a photo, will check and change, but they are sods to get right are'nt they! Its been a superb few months, I've already started the D20, love it! I have a Y8(?) o gauge kit next up, then something BIG! Thanks again.
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Very creditable models indeed! Wish my first etched kits looked like that...

Will