OO gauge loco kits?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: OO gauge loco kits?

Post by strang steel »

Same here, in fact I wish that any of my kits had ever looked as good as that. I'm afraid that apart from my cow-udder fingers and poor eyesight, I just dont have the patience to produce anything with more than one moving part.

I just remain in awe of anyone who can build any kind of locomotive.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

You're all very kind, thanks! I did the lettering to match that in 'Yeadons' book, its accurate to how that loco would have been in 1934 according to the pics in that....well except for the cab roof. The sandbox mechanism was my instructor's idea (i'm getting loco building lessons) I was'nt keen, it looked terrible at first but when painted I was won over! I've just noticed that we did'nt mask the spectacle plates when spraying, driver can't see out now! Would a shunting engine have had screw couplings? I was once a shunter myself and cannot remember. Mind you I was on diesel 08s and 09s in the 1980s and things may have changed.
I'll get some pics up of my D20 and my layout up eventually.
Thanks again.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That's a nice job, well done The positioning of the lettering may be accurate for 1934, but the lettering you've used is the post war Gill Sans unshaded. In 1934 this loco would have had shaded yellow lettering - as would your D20, if you're going to do it in lined black.

I'm told the tender on the D20 is wrong in that the frame cutouts are oval when they should be arched (or perhaps the other way round). DJH followed the drawing but the drawing had been redone to replace a lost/destroyed original and was in fact incorrect. If you choose to build the kit as is you'll be very far from alone, but you need to be aware in case you get nit-picked.
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

blimey, you're right. And I studied Eric Gill at college! I really don't mind, but will do the correct typeface on my D20. I think the coal bars on the tender are ropey too. maybe its solder practice time again.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Pretty damned good. Go for it!!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

Hello all, i've been quiet on here for a bit so some updates, heres the D20. The lining is incredily fiddly! I'm not keen on white metal, but its an improvement on my plastic J52 kit which nearly drove me to lunacy.
By smackneill at 2011-06-15

Then i started a Y7 kit in O gauge, really enjoyed this so far, brass is so much easier to work with, I won't be going back to plastic or white metal!

and finally I have just started something a bit more ambitious, just the tender so far, as Rolf would say 'can you see what it is yet?'

will get some pics of my layout up if I can get time. Its a slow day at work!
Hope to keep the 'big' ones progress posted, thanks for looking,
micmacmoc in mevagissey
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

The bit i'm most proud of was the coal bars on the J52, the plastic ones looked crap....ok I put a scalpel through them and had to rebuild them, brass wire and burnt fingers, it took HOURS! Oh and the swearing!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

The swearing is part of the fun. And its worth it in the end. I get a rush from seeing one of my dodgy kitbuilds pulling a rake of my dodgy kitbuilt stock - and getting a surprise when it all runs faultlessly. :oops:
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

I've been away a bit but my P2 build continues, nearly there now!

If I can remember how to post the pics!

A disaster struck a while back when I sat on the boiler, bending the front badly. My instructor Tony Woodforth, managed to rectify it over a gas cooker. I was so relieved.
I've just ordered a Yeadons book for my next build, A3 'Sandwich' in o gauge. I wonder if anyone here has ever done 'sandwich' there must be a million 'Flying Scotsman' about.

Some more pics:

I'll post some more when time allows, have the D20 and a Y7 to finish too. I'd really like to do a P2 for my oo gauge layout but reckon the curves are way too tight for a beefy loco like that. I'm really proud of the P2, I was to sell it but have really become attached to it. So I sold my guitars to pay up the investment! Now thats commitment!

Hope these are of interest, I can post more but don't want to clog the site up.
moc
mevagissey, cornwall
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Nice, very nice.

Keep 'em coming, please!
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

micmacmoc wrote:Trying to work out how to post pics of my first build....I'm quite proud of it, runs 'like a sewing machine!'

[img][IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2759/img0878g.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]
That is very nice, especially for a first attempt.

Well done.

I think that effort should be enough to spur you on to greater things.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

I've just about finished the Earl....I've grown attached to the beast to the extent that instead of selling it as promised to the missus....I've sold two of my beloved guitars.

I also have a new loco build. An A3 in O gauge. Has anyone ever built 'Sandwich' before?

I have some more pics and will get them up asap. Just some finishing touches to do.

Are you able to go through my pics by clicking on the pic above or do i need to post them here?
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Well done - a super model of an awesome loco, but then I would say so wouldn't I! :D
micmacmoc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by micmacmoc »

I was particularly hoping you would see my beloved beast!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

(slobbers all over keyboard)