Wath Yard

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

So you're near (or even work for!) TMC / The Model Centre?
I did drop by their Merrion Centre (Leeds) store once a few years back but I see they've had a big contraction and closed all their stores. Looks like they're now limited to custom locomotives from their Tockwith location.

The Green Goddesses get a lot of flack from the press. It is true that they are not modern urban fire fighting machines, but they are still very good for what they are designed: civil defence of a "London Blitz" type. Carry lots of water, hoses, and very powerful pumps - ideal when the hydrants are smashed.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yes we're sort of on the same estate, as it's 2 esates in 1 both numbered seperatley, We're unit 17 Centre Park, Marston Business Park, and our other site is unit 8 Marston Business Park, The Model Centre is at Unit 17C I think it is, and the Units 16, 17 & 18 are quite big in their lettering, but people arrive on the estate, see the sign saying Centre park Holdings Units 11-18 and come looking for one ofthe lettered units!

I did go down once but they wouldn't sell me from there I had to go to a shop, but I think they do have one now, one bonus is I wouldn't have to pay postage, they could drop it out on their way off the estate!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Just to be a rivet counter for a second.... it is Thorp Arch and not Thorpe Arch.

Sanity returns.
Of interest I work in Thorp Arch estate at a manufacturer of kitchen and bathroom funiture. Some of the builings we use are the former bunkers for the MOT domb dump. Some of the bunkers are almost intact, others haev been modified (some of the concrete was so thick that it was easier to use if a s wall base than to remove it). There are, however, still some of the track rails still in the floors of these builings, buried upto the rail tops in concrete - but still very visible.

The Thorp Arch Railway was a very interesting railway - although information is scarce due to the nature of the business - apparently the railway formed a circuit and trains travelled one way only. (Bit like a train set I suppose).

Apologies for going a bit off topic, but I thought people might be interested.

If anyone has any info - please post it.

Andy
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I do have some info, and I'm planning to eventually write an "article" page about it.

You need to find British Railway Journal Nos. 65-66. (Wild Swan publ.)

No. 65 even has a front cover picture of Thorp Arch station, looking across the level crossing past the signal box.

There's over 30 pages dedicated to the railway, including signalling plans, aerial photos, etc. Probably a bit much to scan - and the plans would need a hi-res scan. You'll like it :-)

Another article page I'm planning, will cover the Crossgates-Wetherby line. I've unearthed some interest pictures in the books - eg. the Royal Train at Collingham (KEVII iirc), as well as A3s at Wetherby during the 40s/50s.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Thorp Arch railway sounds quite interesting, and must look in to that.

On the subject of The Model Centre, I have just today got my copy of Octobers Model Rail, and The Model Centre has been taken by Modelzone, and cheques are to be made payable to Modelzone and sent to Tockwith!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Thanks Richard for the information on the Thorp Arch railway - I will search out those editions of BRJ.

Andy
Dannydetour
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Wath Yard

Post by Dannydetour »

keithp wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:50 pm Don`t know whats there now, a trading estate probably,
Its actually all been lanscaped to include woodlands, a lake, golf course and paths. There is an elevated mound on which a plaque describes what used to be there.
I'm wanting to build an S1 in OO. was thinking about ktbashing a Bachmann Robinson 04 chassis as donor. an tips?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the land has been split - the British Library have a large installation where they keep their journals and periodicals.

There's also a large trading estate - furniture shops/etc in the old bunkers.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dannydetour wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm
keithp wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:50 pm Don`t know whats there now, a trading estate probably,
Its actually all been lanscaped to include woodlands, a lake, golf course and paths. There is an elevated mound on which a plaque describes what used to be there.
I'm wanting to build an S1 in OO. was thinking about ktbashing a Bachmann Robinson 04 chassis as donor. an tips?
An S1 has been made in exactly that way, by Keith Parkin for one. He doesn't seem to frequent this website. Brief coverage of his S1 conversion appeared in the GCRS journal "Forward" several years ago. I have the relevant issue of the journal among many others, but I don't have an index to tell me which issue to look for...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Dannydetour wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm ...I'm wanting to build an S1 in OO. was thinking about kitbashing a Bachmann Robinson 04 chassis as donor, any tips?
This would fall into the 'get yourself a good drawing and crack on' class. Some prior careful thought about modification of the chassis block rear, and the attachment of a rear extension to the chassis block before commencing any cutting would be foremost in my mind on this project.

(Side note, does the O4 model offer the largest array of potential conversions to other LNER classes/class parts? Three other Robinson classes, seven Gresley class parts shared between the S1 and O4, one Thompson class part and two more classes, all on the same eight coupled wheelbase.)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Dannydetour wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm....I'm wanting to build an S1 in OO. was thinking about ktbashing a Bachmann Robinson 04 chassis as donor. an tips?
For some odd reason, I seem to recall that Mike Edge recently produced a scratchbuilder's etch for the S1. Might be worth contacting him at Judith Edge Kits to ask if my memory was correct.....

Mentioned on the Judith Edge website
BarryO
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BarryO »

Yes Mike built one of the test etches for use on Wentworth Junction his new 4mm/OO layout. He has a few photos on his kitbuilding thread on RMWeb.

Baz
charlie_c67
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by charlie_c67 »

Paul_sterling of this parish has a very nice resin printed build aid that he may be able to sell you if you'd like an OO gauge model :) Does need a donor LNER O4 though.