Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

For those who notice such things, I have managed to correct the brakes being the wrong way around in the photos in my last post.

Plus while working on the Kirk twin art set I have been slowly assembling a Parkside NBR Jubilee Mineral wagon. Not the best mouldings that I have seen from the Parkside stable but I think it will be fine once painted and weathered.

I made the loops that allow the end door to open on the original from 0.6mm styrene rod which I wound around a 0.5mm drill bit in a PIN vice, I then poured boiling water over it and then quenched it in cold water which retained the coil. It was then an easy matter to trim and fit the loops. I used a couple of the off cuts to make the rings for the horse hooks. I would have normally used brass wire for these but I didn't have any to hand the correct size so I decide to see what I could do with styrene.

The more observant will note that the brake levers are in different positions in the photos. This is done because I find it a real pain masking them off while painting so I decided to make them move.

To achieve this I drilled the back of the lever and glued in a short section of 1.5mm styrene rod. I drilled through the mounting block under the sole bar and then cut a short length of 1.5mm inside diameter styrene tube to fit over the rod once it passed through the mounting block to create a locking washer which retains the lever but allows movement.

Before it hits the paint shop, I still need to solder the coupling links closed and add the pins and chain to the brake levers.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Lovely work Rob! 8)
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Steve,

I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Initially I was disappointed with the fit of the parts and I almost sold the second kit untouched.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hello all,

For those of you who can't makes Guildex I thought I would share a few of the goodies on my stand.

All have been created completely or enhanced with parts cut on the Silhouette Cutter.
GER Open Carriage Truck

NER Implement Wagon

Slaters NER 20 ton Hopper Wagon

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Minor health issues this week have stopped play for a few days so it was only last night when I made more progress. On New Year's day I decided to take a small break and build somehting for me. This is a Gladiator ex GCR 10 ton Open wagon with Trestle Bar.

It now well on it's way and it just needs the trestle bar and final details.

I also need to work out just how to spring the buffers because they are turned brass heads that are designed for springing with a piece of piano type wire passing between them and the coupling hook tail.

Aside from the buffers it's a lovely kit to build with everything fitting as and where it should.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Nice work Rob, have you finished that P7 hopper, if so post some pics please.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Dave,

Sadly not, I have been too busy doing things for other people. At the minute I am finishing off 5 Slaters wagons (LMS/BR) that I am building for a gent who has Motor Neurone disease and can no longer do such dextrous things but is endeavoring to build a last layout.

Hopefully I should have them finished or thereabouts this weekend and then it's back onto the Kirk twins before I can really think of progressing anything of mine.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I am worried Rob, if this is what you produce when you are under the weather, what hope is there for the rest of us??

Nice work as usual

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Paul,

I am not sure what I can say to that....
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Not strictly speaking LNER but I thought they were worth sharing anyway

I have since Telford been building some Slaters Wagons for a chap that is suffering from Motor Neurone disease but is endeavouring to make one last layout. They are finally complete and although I have enjoyed the building of them I am glad that they are finished and will be delivered to their owner next weekend at Bristol Show.

They are to be used on a Layout called Hobson's Brewery, hence the faint 'ALE' branding on the cattle wagons.

Here are the official portraits of each van.

Sadly Paul Barlett informs me that running number B68501 belongs to a steel mineral....but I am sure that I took the numbers from the ranges supplied in the Slaters instructions - all things BR not being my strong point.

exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

Nice subtle wreathing Rob
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

exile wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 pm Nice subtle wreathing Rob
Thank you, I was aiming for newish BR vans but older cattle wagons and I am happy with the result.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I like the ale van Rob.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Dave.

Another session last night saw the GC open is almost finished, it just needs retaining chains for the side doors on the other side and the buffers fitting properly - just posed here for the photos.

The inside is nicely detailed albeit the bottom doors are for the version without the trestle bar so mine will be tarped when finished so they won't be visible.

I will definitely be adding more of these to a shopping list in the future.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

The eagle eyed amongst you will also note that I have attacked the rather square profile of the coupling hook with some diamond coated burrs that fit my Dremel

In true Blue Peter fashion - Before:

After:

It looks more like a proper coupling hook now