Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

Having looked at it for a couple of days I felt that the second runner wagon looked a little bare so I knocked up another toolbox and I added some hardware to them all. It's starting to come together now. A friend has just sent me some spare 'Crane Runner' transfers so I now have enough to do both runners (assuming that I can get them to fit of course.

I am still undecided as to whether to line the counterbalance weight on the crane because the gears on the crane itself will prevent me being able to add any lining around the frame if indeed they were actually lined.

A few tools and lumps of timber and some weathering will bring it all together.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Depite building it at the same time I completely forgot to post this, following on from the Road van my second victim is a conversion of a Connoisseur LNER Perishables van from one of these – photo courtesy of Jim McGeown’s website

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Wagon%20Kit%2 ... 0Photo.jpg

To a North Eastern Railway version with cupboard type doors instead of the sliding door on the LNER version. The cupboard doors and their locking mechanism will need to be scratch built. LNER Wagons Volume Two by Peter Tatlow has photos and a drawing which will prove very helpful during this conversion.

We start off by cutting out the parts etched in the door openings

Once they are removed and put to one side for later in the build, the openings need to be trimmed back to the door pillars. I did this with the trusty piercing saw with a no 6 blade.

Once I had my door opening dimensions, I cut a couple of replacement doors and scored the planking on them using an Olfa Cutter (skrawker).

These were soldered in with some strips of scrap etch soldered all the way around to prevent them being dislodged through handling of the finished van.

Once this was done, I started on the hinges. This job was made some much easier by riveting the edge of a piece of 10 thou brass sheet at the appropriate spacing (taken from the drawing) using my GP models rivet press and then cutting the strip from the sheet using my guillotine. I ended up filing a few down to width before I got my eye in despite scribing a cut line…

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

From there it was just a case of keep adding the details to the doors

The ‘barrel’ of the hinges was made by filing a slot in a piece of 2mm x1mm bar using an oval file to give the slope where it meets the strap and then rounding off the other end. The RSU came into its own when soldering them on. I think it’s the first time that I have ever managed to solder on some fine detail without at least one part pinging off and requiring a search to find it or to make a replacement.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Next up came the complex but visually attractive NER door locking mechanism.
Made from scrap etch and brass rod. Although I didn't take any photos the mechanism does work.

Then I made up the basic body and detailed the ends. I was a bit clumsy and managed to melt one of the end post castings so I nicked one out of one of my kits and I will either get a spare from Jim when life returns to normal or make one from brass bar when I get to building it.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Once the doors were finished the rest of it went together pretty much as Jim intended. With the addition of LG vacuum, steam heat and couplings.

I added a floor from the mount board that the kit comes attached to and I made the roof removable so that the back of the louvres could be blanked off should it be required.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Finally, here it is with a coat of paint which is as far as I took it.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I had the same problem re louvres on a etched 4mm Van . It was suggested on Forums you cannot see through the louvres on the real thing as they "overlap" . I simply added Black plastikard behind them and it looked better to me.
IMG_1703.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Mick,

That's what I would have done if it were for me (and I will do on the one that I plan to convert for myself at some point (I have a couple of these kits in stock) but I wanted to give the chap that I built it for the option to blank them off if he chose to, so made the roof removable.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Last but not least here is a photo of the perishables van lettered in NER livery This photo is not mine but I have permission to share it.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A few pages back, when I was building the Slaters LNER Brake van I expressed a desire for a proper LNER brake standard. Thanks to Mike Trice and Dave sharing drawings and my new 3D drawings skills I got side tracked today and produced a drawing for one.

I also plan to draw up the square based version and a stove, well it would be rude not to wouldn't it.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Looking good Rob, are you doing any in 4mm.......................
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Dave wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 pm Looking good Rob, are you doing any in 4mm.......................
Hi Dave,

in theory they are scalable but until I see a successful print in 7mm I can't say that it would without modifications. Paul has already suggested that the central rod and hand wheel might need to be made separate for successful prints.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Love looking at your work Rob... first class...

Pete
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Pete,

I had a spare half an hour or so this afternoon so I created a revised drawing to include the rectangular cover that many of the photos show on these brake standards.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Mike Trice very kindly pointed out that I had missed the bolt heads from around the base so I added them yesterday morning.