Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

In between building the Kirk coaches I have also been assembling the other exNBR bogie CCT. This one will be finished in LNER livery for my own stock.

In NBR and LNER days the side panels were all half beaded this has been added using 0.8mm half round Plastruct strip.

Although I will be making the sole bars from plastruct strip they are too long to make it out of one length so it will need to be joined.

In order that this isn't visible on the finished model I plan to draw up and cut some 10 thou overlays. Which I plan to rivet in the same manner as the tar tank. This is in the hope that it will save me from drilling, cutting and inserting the many stubs of rod that would otherwise make up the multitude of bolt/rivet heads visible on the sole bars.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi All,

Just a reminder to anyone in the vicinity that I will be demoing Inkscape and Silhouette Cutting at the Stainmore Railway in Kirkby Stephen this coming weekend and I look forward to seeing and having a natter with any one who pays a visit.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Rob,

That CCT looks great, the half round beading is really visible in the larger scale and I really like your idea for hiding the joint in the solebar.

It is a shame that Kirby Stephen is a little too far away to justify a visit. I've recently dug out my Craftrobo, which I think was the predecessor to the Silhouette, and have been playing around with vinyl stuck to clear plastic to see if I can produce a reasonable representation of a GNR coach.
GNR Coach test.jpg
To produce the lowermost panels is simple, just remove the vinyl where there should be a panel, spray the whole lot in a base colour and then finally remove the vinyl from around the windows (works well with an airbrush by not with a rattle can as this bleeds under the vinyl to the windows). I'm still trying to decide how to model the lower beading as the original idea of simply using another piece of vinyl has proven too difficult (the beading is overscale but still only 0.3mm wide!). I think the solution may be to remove the cut lower beading and replace this with some 0.25mm plastic rod - time consuming but should be comparable with the upper beading which is c. 0.1mm deep (still a bit over twice the scale thickness).

Why go to all this trouble? Well, apparently Bill Bedford is no longer producing his etches in 2mm scale and I'm too poor at the moment to commission a set of etches for myself.

Anyway I've distracted you enough from your own work. Looking forward to the next update.
Steve
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Slightly off topic but one way I have heard to get around the bleeding issue is to spray clear varnish first BEFORE the final colours.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A cunning solution to the paint creep problem!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

MikeTrice wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:10 am Slightly off topic but one way I have heard to get around the bleeding issue is to spray clear varnish first BEFORE the final colours.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:24 pm A cunning solution to the paint creep problem!
I couldn't agree more Graeme, a technique that I shall shamelessly plagiarise in the future
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

It seems counter intuitive. For example when spraying Crimson and Cream spray the Cream first, then mask then spray Cream again. Finally spray Crimson.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A short while ago I posted photo's of a Model T tanker truck that I picked up for a pound. In between other modelling projects I have resprayed it into LNER blue and added some transfers and a light waft of weathering.

I just need to glaze it now.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

In between refitting seats to the Gresley all 3rd I glazed and weathered a couple of my £1 bargain buys.

First is a 1927 Talbot Van, I am not sure that I have posted this one before. When I got it, it was in a very toy like yellow livery with red writing for a bakery. What I had in mind was a [s]second[/s] 'umpteenth' hand vehicle that had been hand painted with ex military khaki and subsequently neglected.

I reasoned that the LNER would keep theirs in better condition.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A while ago you may recall my building of a couple of LMS vans, an LNER 12 ton van and an ex NBR coke wagon? Well I finally made a start on weathering them. There is still work to do but I am pleased with where 3 sessions with the airbrush have got me to so far.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

For the last few years I have entered some of my models in the annual modelling competition at Guildex and this year I did the same.

Starting off with the items that didn't get placed.

Scratch built Dowlow Lime Wagon - this was built before I got the Silhouette cutter but I weathered it a couple of weeks ago.

Next I entered my trio of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Tar Distillers wagons. The two red ones being from Slaters kits and the black one built from parts cut on the Silhouette cutter. Again finally weathered in the last couple of weeks

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Now for those that collected the runner up trophies.

First is the Dragon Models Lancashire and Yorkshire 30 ton Bogie van

These are followed by my diorama back drop which was made to finish off an earlier diorama which had nothing behind it.

Finally a couple with their respective trophies

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Another vehicle has also passed across the workbench recently.

This example is a Corgi, Thornycroft truck in Wakefield Castrol livery (sadly it cost considerably more than my more recent vehicular purchases). When I bought it, it was the usual toy like, very shiny livery so I have given it several squirts of road dirt to quieten it down a bit.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I managed to move an even longer term inhabitant of the workbench a bit closer to the finish line this weekend.

I first built the basic kit back in May 2015 but I have only just got around to finishing the transfers. At the time Adrian Marks advised me that at grouping these ended their days in departmental service and as such never received LNER livery, hence this one will be finished in a very scabby GER livery.

A superb kit with all the brake gear being lost wax castings rather than etches.

The only changes I made were to add the tie down rings from bent brass dressmaking pins (I annealed them to bend them).
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Alongside progressing the Kirk twinset (all three bogies are now to the same stage) I have also put together and painted/weathered an ex LMS Steel bodied Ventilated van.

It still needs couplings and some further work before I will have achieved my aim but I am pleased with progress so far.