Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

Firstly my appologies for the crap photos's I haven't anywhere set up to take them at the minute so I had to do with poor lighting and try to make up for it with software but it isn't up to much.

I managed to get my hands on some styrene so the last couple of days while it has been raining I cleared a space and set up the cutter. First I cut the parts for the new door and the internal lockers/benches etc.

Sadly it didn't go without incident and on the very last cut it moved out of registration and scrapped them all. Undeterred I cut them again and they came out okay.

I glued the layers for the door together and laid them between two sheets of glass to dry and it was only when I was rubbing the edges down to remove the layering that I realised that I had a few layers too many - the completed door was a scale 4" thick. I must have been thinking I was building a bullion van or something...

So third time lucky as the saying goes we have the new door sorted. And after all that I forgot to take any photos of it.

While the door was drying I made up the lockers and from the drawing added hinges, and hasp and staple to each locker area. The drawing also says that the guard was to be issued one padlock, so only one of them has a padlock.

Having added the lining detail to the interior I set about making the Guard's vacuum gauge and the automatic van valve etc.

All made from styrene rod and tube of various sizes. I have just realised that I have missed of the guard's handle I will add that before final fitting.

Here are a few shots of things just resting in place.

Just ready for the stove when I finish drawing and cutting it...

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Although I have been busy in the workshop all day I have been distracted by fitting buffers to a good number of part finished models. I did manage to get the door on the brake van hung though and it does open and close.

Finally a better shot of the internals than I managed last night.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

As many will know Slaters do a really nice casting for a brake van stove. The problem with them is tht they are based on an LMS(Midland?) design and although I have used them myself on other builds I have always hoped that someone would do an LNER version.

Slaters Stove (and brake standard).

For this build having got a drawing for the stove, (thanks Dave) I thought I would have a bash at making one.

I am quite pleased with the results and I should have taken a shot with a 5p piece to show how big it isn't...

I will have to straighten the jaunty chimny angle before final fitting though

Finally a couple more shots of the interior as it is at the moment.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Tell me the door on that stove doesn't open, Rob?
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Don't be a wimp Jonathan, since he has added a pancake to the seat, Rob is not only likely to have the
stove door opening,but a monkey operating it too!!!!!!!!!!!

Really Nice Rob, and the detail too.

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Rob,
Amazing work as usual, I do like the stove I was wondering if you would build it.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Everything about this is outstanding but the bit that gave me a laugh (in disbelief) is the padlock. :shock: :lol: WHAT???

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Gents,

I did draw the line at the opening door on the stove- the straight jacket was getting a bit constrictive by then... :lol:
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

nzpaul wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 pm Everything about this is outstanding but the bit that gave me a laugh (in disbelief) is the padlock. :shock: :lol: WHAT???

Paul
Thanks Paul, the really sad bit is that you can open it too..... unlike the door on the stove.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

My order from Metalsmith arrived this week so I moved back onto the Slaters brake van build.

The order from Metalsmith was chiefly for 4mm x 2mm angle which I have used to make replacement stepboards in brass.

The reasons for this are twofold, they will be more resilient to handling and I can solder them to the cast brass stepboard supports provided in the kit.

Conversely I have swapped the cast brass buffer stocks in the kit for some spare Parkside ones of the same style which I can glue more easily to the plastic headstocks.

I aslo cut out and cleaned up the axles boxes and springs ready for fitting and ran in to a little problem.

I had previously fitted some triangular (well almost) etched corner plates to the underside of the headstock/solebars. as you can see from the photos these now prevent the spring hangers from sitting flat under the sole bars. A look at the GA reveals that the spring hangers have been cut to allow the plates to be fitted but I feel that I may have fitted them in the wrong orientation and plan to remove one of them to check how it fits with the plate turned through 45 degrees.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Work 'on' the workshop, rather than 'in' the workshop has kept me rather busy for the last three or so weeks. The good news is that my workshop is now complete apart from a few tiles and a couple of shelves.

What has been lacking, is the energy and head space to pick up modelling again and very quickly I found myself making mental excuses for not doing any. The Mojo was well and truly absent!

The spell was broken by my neighbour asking me to make up some Dingham Couplings for him which he was struggling to solder up. Having done them I surveyed a good number of the shelf queens which when I unpacked them had placed on view around my desk. A couple of them, this GCR wagon included only needed transfers and weathering to complete the build. so Last night and this morning I got stuck in and added the transfers.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

The next one to get it's transfers and a move nearer to the finish line is a Parkside Jubilee Coal wagon

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Back in September 2017 I posted an NER Implement wagon that I was building using parts cut on the Silhouette

Now that my workshop is finally finished I managed to get it finished too.

I should note that applying the transfers was an absolute pain until I discovered what I was doing wrong.

I like to use methfix transfers where ever possible because I find the ability to fine tune the placement (as long as you keep them moist) a great help. In this instance I was using the HMRS sheet for LNER wagons. Now I normally use Johnsons Klear as my gloss coat to apply the transfers to but I had some Vallejo gloss varnish to hand so I used that instead. It turned out to be a big mistake. As soon as I applied the transfers they stuck firmly to the gloss varnish in what ever position they landed in and couldn't be adjusted without destroying them. After a couple of attempts and some head scratching I decided to coat the other side in Klear to see if that made any difference (before considering buying in new transfers). Lo and behold they worked perfectly as they always had.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Sometime since this thread had an update

Like many I suffered a bit of a mojo loss recently so I decided to take a short break from loco building to tackle a couple of wagons in the hope that the enthusiasm was rekindled.
The first of these is a D&S Kit for a North Eastern Railway Bogie Road Van. Although I have had one of these kits for about 3 years, this one is for a gent who lives in Scotland who models the North Eastern Railway so I rang Dan Pinnock to enquire as to availability last year. Dan said he could do a kit but he would have to order the etches.
And so, onto the build.
I started with the basic floor pan and solebars. Like many kits the floor pan has fold down strips down the long edges. what is unusual is that these are not the solebars. The solebars have a full thickness rear section and a half etched overlay. The rear has a narrow fold along the bottom edge to represent the C section of a steel solebar. When put together the solebars fit into slots behind the fold down strips on the floor pan. To this floor pan is added a pair of queen posts

Next, I made up the bogies, these are simple in design. A pair of really nice brass castings fit onto the ends of a fold up central bolster. Each bolster has a fold up strip on the top which either allows for and aft rocking or side to side.

Image[/url]

The brakes are simple affairs which fit nicely between the wheels on each side.

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Good Morning and thank you for more inspirational modelling.
Is it a Dia. G7 van that you are building, and if so have you found material indicating that they were used as Road Vans?