Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

Last night, the procrastination was over and I got on with removing the end from the other van.

Like a lot of things that you worry yourself about it was really quiet an easy job in the end.

Using a few aluminium hair grips and self locking tweezers as heat sinks for the steps and lamp irons I managed to get the end off, remove the offending bits of metal (with a combination of piercing saw/ rotary sanding drum and a cylindrical burr grinder in the dremel finished off with files) and subsequently soldered back on without anything coming adrift, Yeay!!!

And for completeness these are the photos of progress on the other van that I forgot to post last night....

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

jwealleans wrote:I'm home now, David. I didn't see that text in Tatlow, but looking at the pictures I'd have said (at a guess) that the containers with Gill Sans lettering are blue and the ones with the older lettering style are oxide.

(Edit) Haresnape adds to the confusion by saying that although one of his sources says containers were painted blue latterly, another (Harrison) says that they were dark grey. I can't recall seeing that anywhere else, not any photo to support it.
I was browsing books this evening (looking for an interesting buffer stop) and in Brian Stephenson's 'LNER Album Volume 2 (which has intermittent page numbering, but I make it Page 54) there is a picture of a J25 and a Conflat S in Ripon Goods Yard in July 1938.

It is a black-and-white photograph but the A type container on the Conflat (labelled A 104) is clearly not bauxite (which is the colour of the Conflat and a van in the background), nor black (which is the colour of the very clean locomotive tender).

To my eyes it really looks as though it must be blue after all!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

The brakevan looks great Rob, I'm in the process of putting together an N gauge version.

I don't post on this thread nearly enough so to offset that a tiny bit I have to say I'm very impressed with your scratchbuilt models.
Steve
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Initially (i.e. from 1928 when introduced) Red Oxide with Pale Straw lettering.

Containers built by Metropolitan Cammell to LNER Diag. 9 in 1929 were originally painted silvery grey with dark lettering and photographed as such ex-works, but the colour scheme was quickly changed to the standard Red Oxide/Pale Straw as above. 1929 also saw a change in the extent of the lettering with the realisation that containers could also act as mobile advertisements for the transport services offered and type of goods carried.

1935 saw the introduction of white with black lettering for insulated containers and the change of lettering style to Gill Sans, but the Red Oxide base colour was retained save for the new BK type, Diag. 23. These were designed to transport furniture and for house removals and were painted Oxford Blue with White lettering, to match the new livery for the LNER road delivery fleet.

During WW2, as with locomotives and rolling stock, there was a reduction in the amount of 'decoration' applied to containers and the insulated containers were toned to down to a Pale Gray colour.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

drmditch wrote:I was browsing books this evening (looking for an interesting buffer stop) and in Brian Stephenson's 'LNER Album Volume 2 (which has intermittent page numbering, but I make it Page 54) there is a picture of a J25 and a Conflat S in Ripon Goods Yard in July 1938.

It is a black-and-white photograph but the A type container on the Conflat (labelled A 104) is clearly not bauxite (which is the colour of the Conflat and a van in the background), nor black (which is the colour of the very clean locomotive tender).

A104 was one of the smaller closed containers and was among the very first constructed during 1928. The legend 'DOOR TO DOOR CONTAINER TRANSPORT' is that generally applied to the closed containers and not the same as that applied to the Oxford Blue BKs. The container body was made of sheet steel and the colour was Red Oxide, not Bauxite, which was a rather rich shade (it appears in at least one colour image, taken at an exhibition in a GE line goods yard). The clincher is probably the lettering, which is definitely not white.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Rob.

The brake van is looking good.

I've sent you some info you might find useful.

65447, I did not know the colour of the insulated containers changed in the war, thanks, do you have a date.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Dave,

Thanks for the additional container colouring info gents. Red Oxide with straw lettering it will be although I may have to carefully hand paint over the transfers that I have already applied once resprayed red oxide since I don't (to my knowledge have any straw transfers.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

65447 wrote:
drmditch wrote:I was browsing books this evening (looking for an interesting buffer stop) and in Brian Stephenson's 'LNER Album Volume 2 (which has intermittent page numbering, but I make it Page 54) there is a picture of a J25 and a Conflat S in Ripon Goods Yard in July 1938.

A104 was one of the smaller closed containers and was among the very first constructed during 1928. The legend 'DOOR TO DOOR CONTAINER TRANSPORT' is that generally applied to the closed containers and not the same as that applied to the Oxford Blue BKs. The container body was made of sheet steel and the colour was Red Oxide, not Bauxite, which was a rather rich shade (it appears in at least one colour image, taken at an exhibition in a GE line goods yard). The clincher is probably the lettering, which is definitely not white.
At the risk of hi-jacking Rob's thread still further....

Everything that you say is consistent with my own research. I think the Romford exhibition picture you mention is the one I referred to above, in 'LNER Locomotives in Colour.' However, I presume that you have access to the Brian Stephenson book 'LNER Album Volume 2' I mention above?

Can this really be a black-and-white rendition of the same colour as the Romford picture?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Yes I looked up the photograph in LNER Album 2 first before researching and then posted only after I had gathered enough evidence to support my reply. It was a combination of the lettering across the side and the fact that it was not bright enough to be white that really clinched it.

The photograph taken at Romford shows very clearly the richness and depth of the Red Oxide colour, one which certain film types have difficulty in rendering in monochrome. Add to that position of the sun and overall lighting conditions and that effect is almost certainly the result.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Robpulham wrote:Thanks Dave,

Thanks for the additional container colouring info gents. Red Oxide with straw lettering it will be although I may have to carefully hand paint over the transfers that I have already applied once resprayed red oxide since I don't (to my knowledge have any straw transfers.
Straw or a paler yellow will suffice I should think. BR early period was very similar in the use of Gill Sans.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Dave wrote:65447, I did not know the colour of the insulated containers changed in the war, thanks, do you have a date.
1940-41 - new ones so painted when built, others as they came through the shops - all very much as with locomotives and other rolling stock.

Clearly after the cessation of hostilities it would be some time before all had been repainted white.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks 65447.

Rob I see there is an oven drawing for NER brake vans, they must have like to keep their staff warm and well fed.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Dave wrote:Thanks 65447.

Rob I see there is an oven drawing for NER brake vans, they must have like to keep their staff warm and well fed.
How fantastic, while not being able to do much else I am contemplating what I might do internally an oven doesn't sound too difficult to replicate, even if it won't be seen.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Robpulham wrote:How fantastic, while not being able to do much else I am contemplating what I might do internally an oven doesn't sound too difficult to replicate, even if it won't be seen.
one of the joys of modeling is, skills allowing, being able to put as much detail as one desires in a model, even if the end result isn't seen. I would suggest in the future some type of magnetically attached roof to allow viewing of the interior, unless the roof is integral to the structure
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Nova wrote: I would suggest in the future some type of magnetically attached roof to allow viewing of the interior, unless the roof is integral to the structure
You must be a mind reader, I have been looking at exactly that over the last few days.