A4 Silver livery

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

trainscape
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A4 Silver livery

Post by trainscape »

Where the fist silver liveryed A4 locos finished in matt or gloss? I am possiblely respaying my Dublo Silver King in the silver livery. Would any body have any fotographs to help me please? These would be for personel use only. Many thanks Roger
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Roger,

In Brian Haresnape's book "Railway Liveries - London and North Eastern Railway", published by Ian Allan, there is an illustration of Siver Link as new and the silver livery is described as follows, :

Silver Grey (metallic aluminium) livery...A mid grey was used for the streamlined valences........and a charcoal grey for wedge shaped nose. Some metallic fittings such as cab window beadings were brass, and silver-white lettering and numerals were shaded blue. No. 2509 is illustrated when new.

Wheels in pale silver grey, external frames and cab roof in mid grey. Bufferbeam on rear of tender, signal red.

She must have looked fantastic.

So, to be correct, it is not just a matter of giving your Hornby Dublo loco a coat of silver, unless that is what you decide to do. Of course, it is entirely up to you. I would finish the spray job with a coat of satin varnish.

Colombo

trainscape
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A4 Silver Livery

Post by trainscape »

Hi Colombo :D
Many thanks for your help. My intention is to strip my loco down to bare metal, prime & start from there. The info that you have sent for me seems to cover every thing that I need to know. I already have a P2 in gloss finished Doncaster Green & a L.M.S. Beyer-Garratt in matt black, so I am collecting some stylish locomotives on my extensive layout. Many thanks Roger.
bw1165
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by bw1165 »

Try this link http://www.gresley.org.uk/a4names.htm

Part 3 in particular will help with the livery.

Brian W
trainscape
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by trainscape »

Hi Brian :D
Many thanks for your response. Every little bit of info helps to form the fuller picture. I have not yet got started on the said project but I will add your reference to my file. Thank you very much Roger.