Isinglass D86/87 Milk/General purpose van.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mallard
NBR J36 0-6-0

Isinglass D86/87 Milk/General purpose van.

Post by Mallard »

Just for interest. 4mm build for Finescale OO.
Andy (@ Isinglass) will collapse when he sees the great lumps of brass strip along the insides and the two cross 'braces' and for that I apologise. However, as the inside will not be seen I have done this as a strengthening exercise so that this beautifully detailed van does not get crushed in transport & everyday handling.
There are probably bits in the wrong place, but if it looks 'the business' on the layout it's heading for then that's what matters.
There are MJT axle fittings and once again the client only really wanted the soldering jobs done, (not the detailing such as door handles or roof attached).
Again, a lovely little van and an unusual prototype. Maybe not for beginners but a thoroughly enjoyable build.
36E
Attachments
Isinglass D86 or 7 interior strengtheners..jpg
Isinglass D86or7 Van.jpg
Isinglass D86 or 87 Van.jpg
Hucknall Central
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Isinglass D86/87 Milk/General purpose van.

Post by Hucknall Central »

A late reply, but I too enjoyed the end result of building the Isinglass D87 van, but this view wasn't shared by a chap I met yesterday at Doncaster, who said he'd had problems forming right-angle shapes :?: I look forward to their next release.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I did suggest to Andy at one stage that he should consider "fold-over-internally-to-90-degrees" full length ledges at the top and bottom edges of his sides to stiffen these, and to facilitate attachment to floor, ceiling and roof, as Dan Pinnock routinely provided on D&S coaches. I don't know if my suggestion has found favour for future projects. I appreciate that it isn't easy for all to make long neat folds, especially when toplights are very close to cantrails too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I did suggest to Andy at one stage that he should consider "fold-over-internally-to-90-degrees" full length ledges at the top and bottom edges of his sides to stiffen these, and to facilitate attachment to floor, ceiling and roof, as Dan Pinnock routinely provided on D&S coaches. I don't know if my suggestion has found favour for future projects. I appreciate that it isn't easy for all to make long neat folds, especially when toplights are very close to cantrails too.
Bloody impossible -- and gives a 'soft' edge. Much better to have a plain strip to solder along the inside top edge of the sides.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Bill Bedford wrote:Bloody impossible
You give in too easily Bill. I have done it, with extreme care.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Me too with no problems. I always "scrawk" the etched lines until a "witness" line is visible
60117 Bois Roussel

Post by 60117 Bois Roussel »

I have been intrigued by the variations: you may find this helpful -
http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-an ... 6-and-d-87
60117 Bois Roussel

Post by 60117 Bois Roussel »

Just a note to say that I have found two more pictures, one showing a D.86 with an LNER Fruit van at the head of a passenger train, clearly carrying fruit and veg. The second one is a colour slide from 1938 and while only a part view, you can gauge the colour and lettering that's not on the door. I've added them to the pdf file, same link as above.