Information for Wivenhoe sought

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bill6
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Information for Wivenhoe sought

Post by Bill6 »

Hi,
I'm thinking of starting a model based on the Wivenhoe, Colchester, Clacton, Brightlingsea area in the early to mid 50's.
Could anyone sugest some relevant/useful references that I could chase up, by mail order or on line as I live in a remote area (500km to the nearest bookshop & 800km to the nearest model railway shop) and only have a few books on the LNER.

I've found some information on passenger services but almost nothing on freight any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Bill,

You could start by buying the following book from GenFair at http://www.genfair.com/shop/pages/ihp/page04.html

Wivenhoe and Brightlingsea Railway
Book - Ref: IHP-4569

A history of an east coast branch line from its opening in 1866 to its closure in 1964. With those dates are recorded the rivalry between the W&BRC and its neighbouring Tendring Hundred Railway, and the eventual absorption of both by the Great Eastern (including the tricks that the large company used before swallowing its smaller competitors). Significant events included the burning down of Brightlingsea Station in 1900 and the Great Flood of 1953, which engulfed the line and its embankments. Outside events had their impact on the line, like the failure of the oyster harvest, two World Wars, and the economics of depression.

Think in terms of J15s for both goods and passenger trains.

Colombo
Bill6
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Bill6 »

Thanks Colombo,

I'll try to get a copy of that one.

One of the books I have got is "The Fightining Branch" by Paul Fredrick Brown which as you say indicates the bulk of the work being done by J15s and also Ivatt 2MTs with "gobbler" tanks before WW1. It also claims a Britania once came down the line but I don't know how this would have worked with the bridges.

In regards to the frieght I was more wondering what would have run to Clacton, Frinton etc. I've found quite a few photos of Britanias, B1s,B2s and B17s running from Liverpool St to Clacton with passenger services but no freight trains.

Also does anybody know where I could get large scale maps of the area at the time.

Cheers.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Bill,

You would have to consider that all freight requirements were fulfilled by the railway and then think about what the town would need.

You know, incoming necessities: coal, food, oil, wood, building materials and so on.

Outgoing you would have local produce, animals, fish, grain, sugar beet perhaps. Also were there any special local industries? I am not familiar with the area, was there any sort of a port, what came in by ship, and so on? Was there a gas works?

That should be an interesting bit of research for you.

Colombo
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Brightlingsea etc

Post by PaulG »

Bill,

Other titles worth looking at are:

Branches & Byways East Anglia by John Brodribb - OPC ISBN 0-86093-549-3
GER Engine Sheds Part 2 by Chris Hawkins & George Reeve - Wild Swan ISBN 0-906867-48-7

If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Regards

Paul