Track

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Track

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Very well said. I’m “impressed”!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Track

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mersey508138 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 pm ...I too have tried some minor bending to a right hand express turnout/point

On the subject of cant, I have tried to implement it on curved track but I can never get the transition exact to the point that it's a gentle transition from flat to canted and back again once the train exits the canted curved track.

Also, the problem I have had is knowing exactly how much cant a curved track section requires for it to be effective and noticeable again without derailments occurring.
Never saw this thread first time around!
Bending RTL OO points, I have only attempted this on Peco's 'Large radius' item, on which it works very well. Some cutting of the sleeper base links is necessary on the FB ranges, but the new BH point is flexible enough as supplied for the 1 or 2 degrees deflection that is enough to mitigate the 'threepenny bit' effect of an assemblage of RTL points. Trimming any road that is part of a crossover to reduce the track centres spacing to the range 44 to <50 mm is often also advantageous for appearance.

As for cant, this needs a large radius to look well, and extended transition. I did the experiments to determine what was required years ago, and for reliability, would suggest a 1 in 500 vertical transition as a minimum. Also the inside rail should drop as the outside rail rises, so the vehicles are at constant height through the transition. When I finally get around to my scenic section with this cant, I intend extending the transitions over a metre; such that from level the insiode rail drops a millimetre, while the outside rail rises by 1mm. Part of the adventure then will be finding out whether a necessary crossover will be reliable within the transitioning section...

This is all largely academic for the LNER based on what I have read. It was the advent of the A4 that demonstrated that transitions into curves and cant might be a good plan, and I would imagine that however much got done before WWII, not a lot more will have been done until BR took up the reins? I await education on this question...