MacCailin Mor - works plate number

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

evansm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

MacCailin Mor - works plate number

Post by evansm »

I'm working on a 2 1/2" gauge model of the MacCailin Mor, which was a K1/1, 2-6-0 locomotive - re-built at Doncaster in 1945. I want to have the works plate made, but am unable to find the works plate number - is anyone able to help with this?

Mark
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've just checked the RCTS book and this lists works numbers for the new-build Peppercorn K1s.

I'm not sure if the K1/1 would have had a new works plate, as it was a rebuild? So I checked back to the K4, and that doesn't list any works numbers either!

Have you tried Yeadon's? (I currently don't have any of the Yeadon Mogul books although I have one on order)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
evansm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

MacCailin Mor works plate number

Post by evansm »

Thanks Richard,

I have the Yeadon's register of LNER locomotives, volume 18, for the K1 and k1/1. Unfortunately it does not give any details for the works plates. The MacCailin Mor did have a works plate which was sited on the smoke box under the name plate. I was told that the RCTS reference book may have the works plate details, but from your reply, it appears that it does not have the works plate details/number for the K1/1. I have e-mailed the York National Railway Museum, although they have not repsonded as yet. I'll have to think of other ways of identifying the name plate number.

Kind regards, .. Mark.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I have yeadons Vols 1 & 2 and these have all the details of the works plates abite spread out.

EG:

A4 4468 Mallard

Doncaster 1870
To Trafic 3/3/38

and we know it was built by the London North Eastern Railway

By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Mark,

There is a photograph of 3445 McCailin Mor in Brian Haresnape's book "Gresley Locomotives". This does indeed show the worksplate on the side of the smokebox, below the nameplate. This is an official photograph taken in 1945 and you can see that there is writing on the works plate, but the letters are not decipherable. This photograph is in the Ian Allan library, it says, so you may be able to get an enlargement that is decipherable.

I note that the name of the locomotive on the final corrected nameplate is shown as MACCAILIN MO'R.

I say corrected because no. 3442 was originally named MACCALEIN MO'R and renamed The Great Marquess in July 1938. On completion, no. 3445 was named MacCAILIN MO'R.

You need someone with Yeadon's Volume 18 to look up the correct works number for you.

Colombo
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I shall be down the NRM next weekend, so I'll see if they have vol 18 (they don't have 4 that I want!)

Incidently in the shop they do have (for £100 a peice) full replicars of Mallard and Flying Scotsmans Plates, but £100 is cheaper than the £115 on the Procast site, and I think they make them!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
evansm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

MacCailin Mor works plate number

Post by evansm »

Thanks very much for the above replies - I have a copy of Yeadon's register of LNER locomotives, volume 18, which includes some details for the MacCailin Mor. However, there is no information on the works plate and the photographs are not well detailed enough to see the works plate number, even when enlarged. Not sure what next to try for this.

Thanks again,

Mark.