Fish vans

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Fish vans

Post by mick b »

Doesnt work for me , thats the link !!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nor do I partake of the book of the face, nor ye twitter. Don't want too much of my life and details to be known to one and all...... don't have time to post it all up anyway!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

OK guys will post hard copy tomorrow, thought it might add variety to fish trains, you seem to be turning up odd vehicles for this traffic everytime i log in.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks 52D

I will look forward to the pic as I too do not do facebook, now where is my mobile.....lost it again
cthompson
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by cthompson »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: And what did you do to produce the underframe?
Evergreen strip makes up the solebars. I used a triple laminate to make up the thickness. This way, I had a thin enough layer to gently punch out the bolt marks from behind and then stick this to the other pieces. Somewhat parsimonious, you might think, but it was alot quicker than applying proprietary rivets/bolts.

Headstocks integral with the body ends from ABS.
Attachments
bolt on.jpg
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello all

I've just found this thread and it's very useful as I'm building a fish train to fit behind a Millholme B5 that I built a while ago.

I have ordered a Brassmasters bogie van (I dreamed of owning a complete train, back around 1980, but discovered that they didn't run as complete trains).

I was captivated by the diag 37 LWB van in Tatlow's 4A, and decided to attempt one. The Parkside/Peco GWR Mink D seems suitable with one section of panelling removed and Evergreen strip outside framing added. The ends need to be rubbed down and new struts added.

My modelling is slow at the moment as I'm helping the GF move into the house that she's inherited.

If I am successful, I will post the result.

Earlswood nob
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Earlswood
When you build the kit I suggest you read Steve Banks article on his website. Unless Brassmasters have modified the kit since they acquired it from R&E you'll find the planking in the doors doesn't line up with the rest of the sides and needs to be modified during construction.
Andrew
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Andrew's right - here's the one I built a few years ago, before reading about the mismatch and - to be fair to myself - before I'd have had the ability and confidence to attempt modifying it:
Brassmasters_GCR-15T-Fish_van (17).jpg
The photo's a little poor too I'm afraid, but actually, what it does show is that if you don't fancy modifying the kit, it can still look perfectly acceptable from normal viewing distance - if you're still sceptical, you could print the photo out at 4mm scale, stick it on a suitably sized block of wood and pop it on your layout! :D
Just joking: my real point is that it's a nice kit, went together smoothly, good instructions and it runs beautifully! The one tricky bit was getting the large 'N' and 'E' on flat over the inter-slat gaps and then slitting along the slat edges with a razor blade to remove the cut-out sections, which calls for a new, sharp razor, a steady hand, good lighting and no drinkies :wink:
Chas
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey,

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know the problems before I start soldering.

Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I'm progressing slowly with the construction of my first etched kit.

The instructions state that split spoke wheels were fitted to the original bogie fish vans, but studying Tatlow, it looks like solid spokes. |Which is right?

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

i think you can get way with either, Malcolm, and the more so the further into their lifespan you model. Wheelsets were routinely swapped when the wagons were maintained.
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

I cannot say definitively that this applies to the fish van but I have seen examples where one wheel set on a bogie is spoked and the other is solid. I guess this arises from maintenance needs with a set heavily worn and the other still usable.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Never wazza Fish vans

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all from sunny Surrey

While reading Tatlow's LNER wagons; I noticed two diagram numbers reserved for fish vans which were never built.

Does anyone have any Idea what the 6w and bogie vans would have looked like?

Guessing the 6w would be similar to the LMS post war vans, then it might be possible to construct something from two Parkside d134s.

Would the bogie van be based on the GCR bogie fish, or would it be similar to a short bogie brake?

Earlswood nob