Sell as a set or in pieces

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

OllieLong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Sell as a set or in pieces

Post by OllieLong »

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me, I have a layout of OO gauge railway which I no longer wish to keep but don't know whether to sell it as a set or take it down in pieces to get the best price for it?

Disadvantages of keeping it as a set would be that it would limit the amount of buyers who have an interest in it because if transporting it (it is 6' by 4' and heavy). However taking it apart would take along time and I don't really want to do this as it took a long time to build.

Also where would you recommend advertising it for sell, eBay, local paper?

Thanks for all your help,

Ollie
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Go to your local model shop and see if they buy in collections Rails of sheffield do (see model rail or simalar) or advertise it on ebay but put an add in the paper as well stating that it is avalable on line. There for all bases covered
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
OllieLong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by OllieLong »

Thanks for you reply, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Ollie
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I would think that the layout only has value together, if it is fully scenic or is well on its way there.

You're never going to get the investment in track/etc back. Salvage might be dubious as well - especially if you've glued or soldered the track. I don't think I'd buy salvage track (I'm in N - so tolerances are arguably more critical), but we do salvage points and motors within the club, if they're good. In our case, we use Tortoise motors which are pricey, and they are usually easy to salvage.

I would think that individual sales of the rolling stock would get more - but it takes time of course.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
OllieLong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by OllieLong »

Thanks for your reply, the layout is only really the track with a couple of buildings but it is on a Hornby mat which makes it look better IMO. The track is pinned down and it has already been pulled up once when I moved house so this shouldn't be a problem.

I am now probably going to try selling the whole lot as one piece now on eBay but set a reserve and collection only and see how it goes, if that doesn't work it will mean selling it in seperate parts.

Thanks again for all your help,
Ollie
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

With the mat/etc, it might sell well in the weeks leading up to Christmas...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
OllieLong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by OllieLong »

Good idea! I will probably do that now you have mentioned it, thanks for that!