Newcomer

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ladas
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Newcomer

Post by Ladas »

Evening All,

First of all, hats off to all contributors and founders of this website/forum. I've enjoyed reading various articles and also viewing images of a bygone era.

Having been born in 1981, I have therefore not been fortunate to witness the everyday sights and sounds of steam on the mainline, in particular, Grantham. I started my enthusiasm for all things LNER and railway related at Grantham during the Summer months of 1992, witnessing the swansong of British Rail in the form of Intercity class 91s and HSTs. My dad shared many of his Grantham steam era memories from the late 1950s on most visits to Grantham.

I have recently converted my garage to a hobby room. I am looking to create an accurate model of Grantham from the period 1935 to 1938, the inspiration coming from the Phillip Hawkins print "East Coast Elegance".

Any help or guidance that any of you are willing to share would be very welcome.

Kind regards,

Marcus Burton
(South Derbyshire)
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Newcomer

Post by Atso »

Hi Marcus,

Grantham was a big place, I hope you've got all that garage available! 8) What scale are you modelling in? I've just abandoned my attempt at modelling Hornsey in N gauge - too big. My next effort will be to try and capture to essence of the north London approaches into Kings Cross (think Copenhagen Fields on a much smaller scale!).

Anyway off the top of my head I can think of two books which would be useful. The first is Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds - Volume 1 Southern Area. ISBN 1 899624 88 0. This includes pictures, notes and a track plan (1956) for the area.

The second is Steam at Grantham by the Rev. Arthur C. Cawston M.A. ISBN 906867 45 2. This is a collection of pictures centred around Grantham between the 1930's and 1950's which may help get an impression of the area in the 1930's.

As with you, I am not old enough to remember daily steam running on the main lines having also been born in 1981. However there is a massive amound of reference material about to help! :P
Steve
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Atso wrote:...The second is Steam at Grantham by the Rev. Arthur C. Cawston M.A. ISBN 906867 45 2. This is a collection of pictures centred around Grantham between the 1930's and 1950's which may help get an impression of the area in the 1930's.
Yes indeed, an excellent record of Grantham in that era...

Contains my 'ultimate' LNER picture!:
His 1937 shot, showing the driver of Grand Parade almost falling from his cab in looking back down the curved platform for the 'right away', on a northbound express.

Cheers
Robt P.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

You might like to go back through the postings about Grantham on the photgraphic forum where there are some really excellent atmosphere shots of Grantham in th early 60s.
workev
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by workev »

Marcus,

I replied to your PM, but some of the books have been mentioned here already.

Bear in mind that you need a track plan that shows the turntable, rather than the turning triangle. Off-hand I think you also need ot be sure of the date the Coaling plant was erected, over the original lower level building with ramp. I'm also unsure when the water tank was installed (along with the softening plant), so check carefully in any archives.

Grantham Library probably have a detailed OS map for the 1930s which they will provide a copy of I am sure.

My model of Grantham is still some way off, but I suspect that you are going to have to use "modeller's license" for a garage sized model.

Good luck, and if I come across any info your the 1930s i will try to publish on here.

Ian
Help create a wealth of information
http://www.returntograntham.co.uk/
adge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by adge »

rob237 wrote:
Atso wrote:...The second is Steam at Grantham by the Rev. Arthur C. Cawston M.A. ISBN 906867 45 2. This is a collection of pictures centred around Grantham between the 1930's and 1950's which may help get an impression of the area in the 1930's.
Yes indeed, an excellent record of Grantham in that era...

Contains my 'ultimate' LNER picture!:
His 1937 shot, showing the driver of Grand Parade almost falling from his cab in looking back down the curved platform for the 'right away', on a northbound express.

Cheers
Robt P.
Indeed a stunning image by T G Hepburn (late of West Bridgford, Rob!). In his collection (ed by Ian Brown and Brian Stephenson) there's also what's called the 'best ever portrait' of the 4-6-4, 10000 also at Grantham and another image of two C1 Atlantics alongside A1 No 4474 at the south end of the station.

Incidentally, I had no idea until recently that 'Grand Parade' was 'destroyed' in a crash at Castlecary in 1937, a couple of years after Hepburn took his famous photo. So the name was transferred to another A3 obviously?
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi

re Grand Parade. My understanding is that although the loco was totally destroyed a replacement was built using parts on hand at Doncaster. This replacement assumed the identity of the written off loco. I guess the accountants would be happy, because the loco was built from spare parts a 'new' loco wasn't built (if you see what I mean)

Hope this helps

ps I don't know how to get ride of the delete option, so I just hope no-one deletes this
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Ladas
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Ladas »

Thanks Steve/Rob and Ian.

I have started to already drool over the (so far) 81 pictures I've found of Grantham during the 50s/60s. I enjoyed my visits to Grantham from 1992 onwards, but to have been able to witness LNER locos in full cry in the 30s would have been something very special.

An element of modellers licence will have to be used as the garage (fully insulated and heated, carpeted and including a TV) is 17ft x 8ft. 5m x 2.4m for the metric amongst us. I'd like to maintain as much realism where possible though.

My other half managed to buy me the ultimate 30th birthday present a couple of months ago... true inspiration for my project in the form of "East Coast Elegance" painted by the well known Phillip Hawkins.

I will keep you all updated as the project progresses!

Regarding Grand Parade, I never knew it was involved in an accident. I can safely say I've learnt something new today.

Many thanks for all your help so far.

Kind regards,

Marcus.