Ideal Trains for an LNER Layout in 4mm?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Ideal Trains for an LNER Layout in 4mm?

Post by Green Arrow »

Sorry to start two threads in one day.

I am planning a small (very, very small!) layout based somewhere along an LNER line.

The plan is a circle (including suspension bridge, as it's in a U shape) of double track line, with a branch/secondary line bay platform. The bay platform will connect with the main line, probably to connect with a proper branch a km down the line, although this can not be shown.

With a line like that, what locomotives and rolling stock would run if I set it somewhere in Scotland or on the North Eastern? What types of trains would be ideal on a 1923-1970 period?

Thanks a bunch!
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Well that's a wide range of time and geography!

If you are limited in space, then you might want to think twice about the double main line. This will look best with expresses (eg. A3s,A4s, Peppercorn A1s, Deltics) and a decent rake of coaches. So that's quite a long train, and then you probably have to use tighter corners than ideal - tight corners look bad when they have coaches running over them.

In case you hadn't guessed, this is why so many people model branch lines!

For the branch line, you could run G5s, Sentinels, V1/V3, L1s, etc. then DMUs for the later period.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Thanks,

I do have just enough space, I'll see how I go with it. (I already have two LNER express engines, Hornby's Flying Scotsman, which has a tender motor that can be very annoying, and a BR Green A4 Seagull from Bachmann)

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Tipically express trains are 11 or 12 carrages long. However its the goods trains you need the space for they look best at around 20 to 30 wagons long although with all that length you don't want tight corners or the drag of long trains will pull the wagons off the track.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

You could always switch to N gauge for freight realism - 20-30 wagons is a very short train in real life!

I've had my V2 pulling 40, and intend to build my coal rake up to 60+ and find somekind of 2-8-0. (if I wait long enough, someone will release a RTR ROD and I won't have to build a kit...)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

However its the goods trains you need the space for they look best at around 20 to 30 wagons long although with all that length you don't want tight corners or the drag of long trains will pull the wagons off the track.
how tight is too tight. i'm about to start building a proper layout in 4mm and using a turning radius of 3ft?

are all my wagons gonna fall off.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Ran Flying Scotsman and my entire Gresley teak collection over the current layout (a very small oval). They didn't look to bad, aside the fact I only have 8 teak.

I'm looking into the Bachmann K3 in LNER black livery, as well as some trucks. How will these do? (Note that it isn't an exhibition layout)

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

richard wrote:I've had my V2 pulling 40, and intend to build my coal rake up to 60+ and find somekind of 2-8-0. (if I wait long enough, someone will release a RTR ROD and I won't have to build a kit...)

Richard
Richard, I have the [LMS in LNER] 8F

On the subject of Hornby/Bachmann, my cousin has a (small for the scale) layout, and he can only manage one loop with a couple of coaches, but Honrby will conk out after a year, but Bachmann run & run & run &....

As for 60+ wagons Richard, no way, but Mallard is hauling 17 + guards van, but the only problem is that I spend most of the time reconnecting them together!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk