On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: On my Workbench...

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hate to throw this in when the build is going so well - but there is a mistake which has been made, and I would rather voice it now than after the build.

The running plate from the cab curve was higher on GN than the A1s - it came up higher over the driving wheels, negating the need for splashers. This was something which I had to attend to in my own build some years back. Therefore, the curve is not deep enough on your running plate because the running plate above the driving wheels isn't high enough.

My apologies for throwing in a possible spanner into the works. :oops:
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

LNER Tom wrote:looking darn good Graeme...another RTR Thompson loco from you...great work :)
Oops :P apologies........sorry Blink Bonny...looking good mind!

If it helps...here is a pic of my A1/1 from a PDK kit, helps show the height of running plate like Simon mentioned.

Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

To be honest, Simerski, I think I can live with the wee splashers, mainly because the metal of the running plate is rather tough to cut and doesn't like neither solder nor glue.

However, As for Atlantic's comment. have a look at these:
Oooops 1.jpg
As you can see on this one, the cylinders are OK .....
Oooops 2.jpg
.... as is the length of the boiler. Its the front frames that are at fault then, always a pitfall for a novice "hacker" to fall into. Pardon me and pass the hacksaw!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Oops :P apologies........sorry Blink Bonny...looking good mind!

My dear chap, fret not, Tom. All I've done is hacked Graeme's bits around to produce an approximation!

Anyway, the running plate has been shortened at the front end by some 8mm (2 scale FEET! What was I thinking about?!?!?!?) and glued back together. The deflectors act as stabilisers for the joint so should be OK.
Try that again but without the ooops.jpg
That's better. Now for the cab handrails....
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That is rather convincing, actually! Liking it very much. The cogs are turning in my head as to how I'd do it in the future - a combination of A3 bodyshell, Railroad A1 chassis, Graeme's front running plate plus chimney and own running plate extensions could work. The Smokebox is the tricky thing...
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Just remember, Simon, that the A1 has the right smokebox at source, so there you are. You'll need to remove about 8mm of material between the smokebox saddle and the rear and it would be easier to saw off the "block" underneath Graeme's new running plate and glue it into the recess where the original cylinders were then pin and glue the new footplate to it. Assunimg that Graeme's footplate is right for the A1/1 had the results seen above. :oops: About 4mm of material needs removing from the new frame extensions between the "step" and the smokebox saddle.

For my next trick I will carve the Peppercorn rivetted tender into a 1928 pattern non-corridor. Sadly, new Hornby 1928s are non-existant as far as the spares dealers are concerned and the old Tri-Ang moulding, though still around on Fleabay, is just too wide. Another problem I have noticed is that the front end is sitting a couple of millimeters too high on the chassis so I reckon I may have to cut a little bit from the centre of the brass extension. I've tried grinding away the chassis - doesn't work. The metal's too hard for my grindstone. This could explain why my buffer height is stratospheric...

I picked on the Bachmann engine because it has a separate running plate, removing the need to carve off large areas of plastic.

Go on, you know you want to! And if I can do this as a first attempt...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If (very big if) I were tempted to have a go at this general idea, I think I would consider the nearest-to-ideal starting loco to be one of the Hornby super-detail A3s with an A4 boiler, which boiler I believe has all the right dimensions with all of the bands and plugs in the right places. A smokebox extension would be required, The front frame and running plate replacement plus bogie remount would be needed. The V2 cylinders and valve gear look promising. The cab would have to be changed either as a piece or just given flat sidesheets. I wonder if it would then be best to make the major part of the running plate from brass sheet with 3/64 square bar for the valances, and cobble together a representation of the parts of the firebox below the S curve. If a "spare" Bachmann A1 running plate and smokebox were instead available dirt-cheap that would be nice, but I doubt whether that is a realistic hope.
There will of course be something that I haven't thought of..........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Dunno about this one.

Bachmann have informed me that they have a flush sided A1 tender body in stock. However, the prospect of extracting £12.50 from it has sent my wallet running screaming into the corner where it is now snapping at me. Trust me, you don't want to confront a snapping Yorkshire wallet! Having said that, a chisel blade and some sandpaper should sort the rivets on the tender once and for all.

Choices. I hate 'em!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Choice has been made for me. Basically I couldn't get the rivets off without wrecking all sorts of detail at the rear end, so I've ordered one :shock: . Wallet is unconscous but growls frequently... :evil:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

BB can you PM me as I will be needing a A2 riveted tender top, for my A2/3, for which, bits keep arriving from England :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

The weather cheered up a bit in the afternoon, so I got my trainset out in the garden. More importantly, GN got her first runs under power:
GN and Tornado.jpg
GN looks as if she has smaller wheels than Tornado - strange, innit? Even when double heading.

Just waiting for the new Bachmann tender top to arrive and she can head into the paintshop. Buffers and suchlike will be added after I've finished spraying paint around...
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ah, like the Test Match, rain stopped play.

Still, got the track repainted after covering it with overspray from the repainted concrete.
Track painting.jpg
Tender top for GN arrived this AM so paint soon.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

All looking good, looking forward to seeing the finished article in due course. Your build has certainly opened up the opportunity for many of us with the use of the V2 valve gear.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

More progress.

I trial fitted the "kerbs" on the running plate and found that with the scraped paint on the running plate, they didn't photgraph well, so had to prime the loco then fit them. So I need to prime again, especially when I get the speedo bracket made up! I'll get there. :mrgreen:
Kerb in place from the side.jpg
Kerb in place from above.jpg
Painted, it should hide the splashers from the side and, hopefully, fool the eye into thinking that the 'plate falls away behine it. We'll see.

I've also been active on the tender:.
Beading Mk 1.jpg
No, no, NO!!! The beading went down to the footplate! Again, before priming the beading was invisible. Maybe I should have left it at that. However...
Beading Mk 2.jpg
That's better. More authentic. Now to prime the tender bod. Again. :wink:..

Oh, and that is a pair of yellow, insulated handled pliers the tender's perched on. Not a banana as Mrs BB has just enquired...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

And I was just wondering about that banana-like object.........

Looking like good progress in latest images.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.