On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: On my Workbench

Post by 52D »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 am Having been there to some extent myself, for various reasons, I completely agree and it's good to know that you can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Just make sure the light isnt the front end of the hushhush coming through lol.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

52D wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 am Having been there to some extent myself, for various reasons, I completely agree and it's good to know that you can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Just make sure the light isnt the front end of the hushhush coming through lol.
Perhaps not the most sensitive analogy, in the circumstances.
I do know a little of what it can be like. I know I'm getting a bit better when I can work on the railway again.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Oh, I dunno, with the way my luck it is likely to be e headlight on the hushhush. However, given its record of reliability, I reckon I should be OK at that!

Progress on Atlantic is awaiting handrail knobs, on order, I am building a Comet gearbox for something GWR, one o' mine. I told you I'd been through it, didn't I?
:mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

A frustrating week.

After making an attempt on the Atlantic's handrails, a major mistake has meant that my stock of knobs is used up so I am knobless.

So, given that I am once again waiting for a delivery of them, I thought, that Hall would be easy enough, yeah? No. Motor and Comet gearbox went together nicely but then I discovered nearly 5mm of free play in the middle driving axle. So, the chassis is knackered! A full Comet chassis beckons methinks.

Model railways. Why do we start them?

N T
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The HUGE play in the Hall's gearbox turns out to be the central shaft falling out. This, after assembling it to Comet's instructions! So, glue the shaft solid, pack the gear with about 1,000 washers and see what happens. I really should know better. A Comet chassis will not, of course, fit the Wills body because it uses a Triang B12 chassis with its incorrect wheel spacing. Well, at least that saves me from another attack by the Wallet.

However, all work has ceased due to some ejit slicing the end of his left index finger. Deeply. Mind you, the red streaks left on the bodywork did nothing for the Hornby Jinty I was fitting an ejector to at the time......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Ah, the Bay of Evil.

Just bought an armature for a Triang diesel (Brush Type 2 to be precise) and found the plastic bearings tight on the shaft. So I mentioned this to the seller in a private message and his response was to get on with it.

After running the power bogie without its wheels and with Brasso in the bearings, I eventually got it running. I expect this with axle bearings on a kit built chassis but not a precision made product. Yes, Triang trains were well engineered and spare parts simply slotted in and needed no fettling, after least not with genuine parts. The dumbass seller is now trying to pick a fight.

If you want good feedback, then do not pass poor repro parts off as original. As I said to said bum sweat, I shall stick to Scalespeed in future.......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

So.

Not a good day.

Managed to drop a box full of Kirk Gresleys. Several bogies broken, all bogies detached from the coaches and, on some of them, the press stud had proven stronger than the glue. Good news is I've reassembled the bogies and reattached them to the coaches. However, the Spratt and Winkle couplers are beyond help.

So, question. Do I replace them with simple loop and hook couplers or go the whole hog and fit the original Mainline type on plastic adaptor plates?

The Wallet is in hiding.....
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Not been around much but that's because I've been thinking. Who said "First time for everything?" Oh, Mrs BB. Ah. Well.

I have been trying to remove the handrail knob stubs from the Atlantic. The Ks plastic knobs proved to be very brittle indeed so had to be removed. Most broke off. So out with the drill? No effect. No swarf! No hole!

Then started a fruitless search for Glue Buster. Anyone know if this stuff is still on sale? So I thought, Acetone attacks all plastics. Except, it seems, Ks handrail knob plastic! Over a couple of weeks it softened the plastic enough for the drill to at least make a small hole. After wrecking my wrist (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) I broke my own rule. I used a power drill on white metal.

So once things have settled down in the old wrists, handrail installation can commence. Again......
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Thanks for the glue buster link! Liquid cement softened the plastic enough for the drill to get some purchase and remove the offending plastic stubs. What sort of a plastic brew is impervious to Acetone yet reacts to polystyrene solvent?

This week is proof positive that being a photographer with the National Trust is not all yodelling and peanuts. And another busy one next week - Tuesday is Oak Apple Day, the birthday of King Charles 2. At least I may get to thrash anyone who is not wearing a sprig of oak!

Hang on, I'm a Parliamentarian......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Not much going on there at the moment but I have got the brakes rebuilt on my old car with lashings of WD40, brute strength and quite a bit of ignorance. The RHS took 2 hours! I only got that done because I figured out that the easiest way to wind the pistons back in was to wind them out slightly, spray with WD40 then wind them in.

Anniversary tomorrow - who starts a relationship on Friday the 13th? - so meal out and all that.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Finally got back to my workbench after a long break!

Depression set in after discovering my Ks Jubilee with its front footplate broken off after dropping the box. The Test Match plus cuddles from the cat meant I felt that I could tackle it. Footplate now soldered back on!

Also glad to report that I have had a brilliant idea that has worked! The (very) long running Atlantic build has taken a leap forward. The footplate castings on this were well crystallised, leaving them brittle and with an uncertain melting point. Soldering the splashes on took mush of their structural strength away and I honestly think that attempting to solder on the footsteps would have led to disaster. However, soldering the steps to a length of phosphor bronze strip which I have expoxied to the casting seems to be working. Just let the glue set and then do t'other side.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Well, this Atlantic has bowled me another outrageous swinger. One of my scratchbuile brass footsteps has gone walkabout so I've had to break out the files and brass sheet to make a new one.

Good news is she is now fully assembled apart from the (sprung) tender buffers.

Planning a Mole End day on Sunday so test running will ensue.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

Looking forward to seeing the Atlantic. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

An enforced change of plan.

Shortly after typing last night's blog, the Atlantic sent down another googly. During pre-run checking, 2 faults reared their ugly heads. The pickups had come adrift and the leading coupled axle was seized solid.

I've just wasted over 2 hours, oiling and waggling the axle with no result at all. So I bit the bullet, stripped the chassis, sanded the rust off and reassembled. And I have a runner!

So, glue back the pickups, wait for the glue to set then test in the body. Then test on some track.

The trials and tribulations of the kit builder only get worse when you add a degree of scratch building!!!!!