On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: On my Workbench...

Post by mick b »

I suggest you rub the lining showing through the primer on the tender flat, as it will show badly if topcoated. The Loco smoke deflectors also have a lot of "blobs" on the edge in the picture. I presume the splashers couldnt be ground down?
Coming on well
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Had I thought of it, I could have removed the splashers with the boiler (plastic) separated from the footplate (cast metal). However, because the work to fit the resin castings destroys the Bachmann mountings I glued it all together, hence the large brass "kerb."

Point taken re the poor finishing. More flatting of the tender and a rework of the deflectors today.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

The deflectors have been reworked and have come out smooth. However, the tender needs more work.

The speedo drive bracket has been fabricated and secured in place along with the various "pipe" runs leading to it.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

I'm confused.

All the piccies I've seen of GN have a double lining panel on the tender. Did it carry these in blue, or was it just "edge" lined along the lines of an LMS loco?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I presume you are talking about the LNER version in Royal Blue? Lining is red double line on tender panel
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

I am indeed, Mick.

Many thanks.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Engine is now in unlined blue. No piccies, I am afraind, but my computer is on the fritz and the library doesn't have a digi image package.

I hate computers... :twisted:
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Lining proceeds slowly on GN - ballasting Mole End tends to get in the way.

I remember dimly someone making diesel headcodes available in a downloadable format a while ago. After thinking "I'll have some of that!" I promptly forgot who did it. Googling is as much help as a squashed fig. So - anybody know who did 'em? Or is it a case of (gulp) using the computer? :roll:
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Progress so far with 4470:
GN in blue.jpeg
First time I've sprayed a loco with an airbrush. The colour is the nearest match but not inappropriate:

GNER Blue!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looking good there BB :lol:

manna

PS.....Nice tin, ...all your own work :shock:
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You certainly cannot be accused of hanging about rather than making progress BB!

It must have been real chore having to eat all of those street-quality sweets just to make the tin available as a stand..........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:You certainly cannot be accused of hanging about rather than making progress BB!

It must have been real chore having to eat all of those street-quality sweets just to make the tin available as a stand..........
You could say BB is a real martyr to the cause..... :lol:
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

That's one reason why I'm kinda rotund. Mrs BB describes me as "cuddle shaped." And we draw a discreet veil over what follows. This is a family show! :wink:

Some more piccies:
Ballasting.JPG
This is what's keeping me from doing much on GN - when the weather's fine, I set up in the garden and get the most tedious tasks out of the way - rail painting and ballasting. Jobs I detest.
GN partially lined.JPG
That's more like it! Gimme an engine to build and I'm happy. The lining so far has been done with a bow pen. Bit blobby in places, looks like that steady hand I used to hand letter N gauge cabsides and wagons with has gone for good, but better than my previous attempts. It would seem that the GNER blue will be very sensitive to light, much more so than the 12" to 1 foot scale models that the "real" railway plays with... :lol:

Note my little helper on the window sill, just checking that there are no horrible beasties preparing to attack and eat me! Well, Jim-Jim thinks she's helping...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Have you lined the rear edge of the tender?? If yes the line would have been carried around the base of the tender to the rear only. Its hard to tell in the photo.

Not sure if you have seen my PDK version

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=300

Re discs I used washers with the centers filled
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

I'd not lined the tender back, pending more info regarding the provision, or lack of same. It would appear that I don't need to, have I got that right?

Thanks, Mick - much better than my hack-up.

Anyway, another picture:
GN part lined 1.JPG
I've decided to line the tender in stages. The double lines are not catered for on my sheet but there are two radii of single red lines. To do this too quickly would remove the remnants of my sanity... :mrgreen: